This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good friend of mine just resigned.

I'm a bit bummed out. A co-worker and someone I consider a good friend and confidant just resigned. He turned in his notice a couple of weeks back, and his last day was yesterday (technically, today, but he turned his stuff in yesterday and took a vacation day today). He was 20 years older than I am, but I got to know him, and he's invited my family out to his house on a few different occasions to visit with him and his wife.

I'm bummed because now I feel like there's no one else in the office that I can "talk to", and/or trust for that matter.

Sure, I trust my co workers to do their jobs and such, but I trust them with very little else. If I talk to any of them, it's generally work related or general chat ("Hi!", "How are you?", etc.)

And my workplace does a yearly survey where they ask us if we have "a best friend at work". Now I can't answer that question in the affirmative.

Though, on the plus side, this guy is starting his own business, and I'm going to be his de-facto CTO (on the side). So we can keep in touch that way.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Well that stinks, but at least you'll still be in touch.

And CTO?
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
      Well that stinks, but at least you'll still be in touch.

And CTO?
      CTO = Chief Technical Officer.

He's starting his own business, and I'll be the "CTO" when it comes to his web stuff.

Comment

For whatever comfort it offers, at least you're not losing your friend permanently, although that does suck about the work situation.

On the other hand, I've never yet had a workplace ask me if I had a 'best friend' at the office. Admittedly, if any of them had, I'd have had to say no.

Comment

Hugs. I'm sorry you're losing your work friend.

Unrelated side note: based on that survey question you asked, I'm very, very curious about where you work, as I only know of one company that asks that question and am curious if you work for the same company I used to work for.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
            Hugs. I'm sorry you're losing your work friend.

Unrelated side note: based on that survey question you asked, I'm very, very curious about where you work, as I only know of one company that asks that question and am curious if you work for the same company I used to work for.
            To my knowledge, there are several companies who use a survey that ask the same question. They use the Gallup Q12 "engagement" survey.

In fact, my friend's wife works for a company that does (or, at least used to) use the same survey.

I'd rather not divulge publicly where I work. I'm sure you understand that. I will say that it's a defense contractor, though.

Comment

Working...
            X