Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those who have to be on a gluten free diet are now considered to have a disability

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those who have to be on a gluten free diet are now considered to have a disability

http://www.celiact.com/blog/2013/04/...ree-disability

I have to agree, Celiac is not a sniffle, sneeze and take an antihistamine allergy - it is a condition affecting the cilia in the intestinal tract. When they eat gluten, it damages the poor little cilia, decreasing the persons ability to extract nutrition from the food eaten. It does not just cause inconvenient and painful symptoms, it does actual physical damage. IMHO, it should definitely be considered a disability and if the students in this case are required to buy the food package as part of the residence, then the school really does need to provide them foods they can eat - they should not be forced to pick and choose from a very restricted menu.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh I agree too, my sister has to be on a gluten free diet because she's allergic to all grains except for rice. Getting people to treat her allergy like an allergy and not cross contaminate has been a pain.

Comment

I completely understand. My mother has diverticulosis; particles of food can get trapped in pockets in the large intestine. When that happens it's extremely painful. Although it can happen from normal food too, specific foods like hard seeds, nuts, corn, etc are well-suited for getting stuck (if you can call it "well" that is)

But trying to explain this when eating out is difficult. She does her best to order foods that don't contain those 3 items, but ... sometimes she encounters a server who just can't understand. Who ever heard of a "seed allergy" right? Sometimes it's easier - like in one case where the chef himself had diverticulosis and specially prepared her food - but other times she just ends up having to pick stuff out of her food anyway.

And although you can operate on diverticulosis (remove the section that has the pockets), it's recommended to not risk anything and to continue on the same diet.
        Last edited by PepperElf; 04-28-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X