This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake ID website

A young kid came in recently to buy some beer and gave me a very strange ID card. It was very official-looking, with all the security features including a hologram in the laminate, but it definitely wasn't one of our state-issued IDs. He told me, "They gave it to me in <bigger city an hour away>." I did not sell him the beer and he accepted this with no problem, but my suspicions were aroused. I got on Google and found this: (Link removed)

It was easy to tell that the card was not one of "ours," but if someone gave me one from a far-away state, I probably wouldn't know the difference. What's even scarier is that you can apparently get all kinds of cards and badges, from hospital and university IDs to law enforcement, security, press, etc. The site has a "legal notice" that customers are supposed to sign saying they won't use the products illegally, blah blah, but I'm pretty sure it's just a CYA formality. The company's address is in the Philippines, so they're probably not overly worried about US legal issues.

Has anyone else ever encountered one of these?
    Last edited by MadMike; 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM. Reason: Removed link to possibly illegal activity.

Obviously your customer was trying to pass it off as a state-issued ID. But I took a peek at the website you provided, and there doesn't appear to be anything specifically illegal. The 'state' cards they offer are listed as organ-donor IDs, which, for obvious reasons, are NOT proper ID for alcohol/tobacco sales. In fact, I'm not even sure their products would qualify as legitimate ID for organ-donor purposes, as organ-donor status is usually listed on state-issued IDs and licenses.

I've no doubt that they are aware of exactly what their clients are buying their products for. But as far as I can tell, this company could operate legally in the United States. I don't see anything there that attempts to duplicate a real state ID.

Comment

Working...
    X