This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate when things are going well and then my job is insulted

The attitude people have toward those of us in the service industry, exemplified in this thread-- http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=98254 --came up today. I was serving this lady and her adorable daughters, having a good time until she basically, if unintentionally, labelled my job as not good enough. The girls were going behind an empty register, and she called them back. I joked they'd have to wait a few years (until they were 16) to work here, and then they could get a discount that Mommy could use. Mommy's immediate response was along the lines of "How about if you girls become doctors...blah blah." Even if she really wants them to go into the medical field, what's wrong with their working at my company while in high school/lower college? Is it just sooo terrible? What about the fact that if people didn't do my job, she wouldn't be able to, you know, buy stuff? Nevermind that my overly-educated friend was asking me about job openings last year. Attention, world: being a doctor/lawyer/athlete/entertainer/model doesn't make you better than me.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

That always annoys me, the attitude that service industry jobs are only OK for other peoples children to do.

((hands cookies and chocolate milk to Food Lady))
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      The attitude people have toward those of us in the service industry, exemplified in this thread-- http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=98254 --came up today. I was serving this lady and her adorable daughters, having a good time until she basically, if unintentionally, labelled my job as not good enough. The girls were going behind an empty register, and she called them back. I joked they'd have to wait a few years (until they were 16) to work here, and then they could get a discount that Mommy could use. Mommy's immediate response was along the lines of "How about if you girls become doctors...blah blah." Even if she really wants them to go into the medical field, what's wrong with their working at my company while in high school/lower college? Is it just sooo terrible? What about the fact that if people didn't do my job, she wouldn't be able to, you know, buy stuff? Nevermind that my overly-educated friend was asking me about job openings last year. Attention, world: being a doctor/lawyer/athlete/entertainer/model doesn't make you better than me.
      People like that are pathetic. They tend to forget that they wouldn't be able to go shopping if people working service jobs didn't work them. Their doctor/lawyer/etc. money would be useless because they couldn't spend it anywhere. They want to talk down on realtors helping them find a house? Where is the idiot going to live if no one does that job? If no one got sick her doctor daughter would be useless. If no one got into trouble, ditto on being a lawyer or judge. That just isn't how this world works and it's not a Utopia. If I was with her as a friend or something, I would've told her that. I do that to a friend of mine who always complains about sales tax to cashiers. I tell him right on the spot "I'm about to dig into you and tell you something this person can't but probably wants to say".
      Last edited by Willis; 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

People working retail jobs have jobs, unlike the people of my generation I read about in USA Today this morning, because they bring their parents or their cat to the interview, or text or answer phone calls during the interview, or have no skills other than posting things like "Todd's eating buffalo wings," or "Kara's walking to the salon to get her nails done," or "Matt's washing his BMW, gift from parents" on Facebook using their Iphones.

I guess it never occurred to the OP's customer to think about that.
        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 04-30-2013, 11:10 PM.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          People working retail jobs have jobs,
          And *gasp* some people(hold on to your butts!), ENJOY working with the public! I personally don't but can manage to fake it pretty well when necessary. I know several lawyers that drive taxi, because they hated being lawyers, but like driving people places. A friend's husband is a lawyer, he chooses to work as a security guard, she's an art history major, happily working in a small art gallery/store(we're talking maybe 15x15 store).
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            And *gasp* some people(hold on to your butts!), ENJOY working with the public!
            The hell you say.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I have a friend of mine who is aiming to work in the medical field. Daddy owns the chiropractic office she works in currently. We were talking today about the hoops she's going to have to jump through and the money it will take. So naturally she's going to be working some odd jobs on the side.

Which makes me wonder if Mommy Dearest is paying the lovely med school tuition fees. That, aside from the elusive, fully paid scholarship, is the only thing I can think of for how those girls are going to get through without working so much as a Mickey D's job.
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                And *gasp* some people(hold on to your butts!), ENJOY working with the public! I personally don't but can manage to fake it pretty well when necessary. I know several lawyers that drive taxi, because they hated being lawyers, but like driving people places. A friend's husband is a lawyer, he chooses to work as a security guard, she's an art history major, happily working in a small art gallery/store(we're talking maybe 15x15 store).
                I work retail and I *gasp* have a Bachelor's and a Law Degree. I love working with the public, but couldn't hack the legal shenanigans. My Bachelor's is in business, so I'm in a related field and I'm happy

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  The hell you say.
                  Seconded. While I get on fine with individuals (on a case by case basis), I don't like people.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                    That always annoys me, the attitude that service industry jobs are only OK for other peoples children to do.

((hands cookies and chocolate milk to Food Lady))
                    Based on a lot of the stories posted here and on Not Always, I'd say a general attitude that the public has is that a lot of retail workers (and former retail workers) aren't, how should I say this...that "bright".

You know...they think retail jobs are for dummies or apathetic teenagers.

I will say this: Not everyone is cut out for retail or service industry jobs. That does not, however, give those who do not work in the retail/service industry the right to abuse those who do.
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I'll be honest, the closest I've come to working retail is stacking shelves at a supermarket for a few months. I'm far happier as a tradesman/photographer.

But, I have the greatest respect for those who do work retail/service and deal with the *special* people in this world everyday. Some of you may be asking why? Simple really: Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

If it wasn't for people, like yourselves, working in the positions you do, there's no way I could do my jobs. I wouldn't be able to get the supplies I need to do my tradie stuff, and I wouldn't be able to get photos printed that I could then hand to my clients.

I'll leave you with a quote from one of my favourite movies (cookie for anyone who knows it), because it surprisingly apt for everyday life: "Don't fuck with the people who handle your food."
                      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        Seconded. While I get on fine with individuals (on a case by case basis), I don't like people.
                        I second your second.
                        If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                          Based on a lot of the stories posted here and on Not Always, I'd say a general attitude that the public has is that a lot of retail workers (and former retail workers) aren't, how should I say this...that "bright".
                          This is the part that is ironic. There are many people in these jobs with above-average intelligence and talent. I'm one of them. I don't mean to sound arrogant; it's just that it's been drilled into my head as a fact since I was small. So I have friends/family disappointed at what I do and customers who think I'm too stupid to do anything else. When do we stop placing people's identities on their jobs?
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            This is the part that is ironic. There are many people in these jobs with above-average intelligence and talent. I'm one of them. I don't mean to sound arrogant; it's just that it's been drilled into my head as a fact since I was small. So I have friends/family disappointed at what I do and customers who think I'm too stupid to do anything else. When do we stop placing people's identities on their jobs?
                            I get what you're saying. And I don't think you sound arrogant at all. I mean, we tell enough "dumb customer" stories on here to fill volumes. I'm sure not EVERY "dumb" customer is that dumb. And yet, a lot of them treat workers in these jobs like they're peasants and they have to kiss the ring.

Especially some of the EWs and "special snowflake" types. I especially find it amusing when I read the stories of the people who shove to the front of the line, then DEMAND something, and are shot down, then cause a big scene because they think they are THAT important.

You know, back when I worked at the King of Burgers, someone actually told me, "I couldn't do your job, but I wouldn't do your job." It was like a compliment and an insult at the same time.

I'm waiting on the day when "the customer is always right" goes by the wayside. My response to that is, "No, the customer is NOT always right. Sometimes the customer is ridiculous."

I also wonder how many of the SCs (especially the abusive ones) have ever worked in one of these jobs.
                            Last edited by mjr; 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM.
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                            X