This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays crop of 7th graders

According to my daughter and the other teachers at her school this years crop seems significantly dumber and the parents much more demanding.

Example (science class): risk/benefit tradeoffs of asexual vs sexual reproduction.

One of the risks of sexual reproduction is STDs.

Student A: "Can STDs be passed on to the offspring?" Yes, often with deleterious effects on the offspring.

Student Z: "Can you get STDs from your partner?" Desperately resist temptation to start P!nk's "U + Ur Hand" playing...

I told her that the cause of both was obvious: They were conceived circa 1999, so there parents were attending every end-of-the-world party possible, and they sure aren't going to take responsibility for little Janey/Jonny being chemically enhanced... "Fix our spawn!"
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

At least they're asking questions. Better than finding out about those the hard way...

Comment

My eight year old has told my wife and I he wants to be a mathematician when he grows up.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I tell my grand kids that they make birth control in the shape of Fred Flintstone.

Comment

Thought this might be semi-amusingly-appropriate...

"Now I knew a friend of mine, he's got three boys. They're ten, eight, and about six. Now he takes them to the park one day and there's this couple...in the bushes.

"The youngest goes 'Hey! Hey look! That man and that woman, fighting!!'

"The middle one says 'That ain't fightin', they's makin' love!!'

"And the older one looks over and says 'Hmm. Badly.' "

- Fred Wedlock, 'Just Kidding'

"...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I just realized you made a "circa 1999" reference and now I feel utterly old while pondering how quickly time flies...
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Reminds me of my cousin *shudders*

Well, I suppose it's better that they're asking questions rather than figuring out first hand. But still. It does seem like in todays day and age - finding a student who thinks is a rarity.

Or maybe that's just around where I grew up. ...And the students I was in and around.

Come to think of it - Are you sure it's just this generation?

Kids these days ((God, I say that like I'm in my 40s or something o.O)) Don't seem to think.

I know I shouldn't use the internet as proof or justification - But the slew of "I dun need to typ cuz I on duh interwebz hurrhurr" is downright annoying.

I learned at a young age that was aggravating. And have friends on World of warcraft who are in middle and high school ((And in my guild)) who know better.

*Sighs* Maybe some of the kids will learn from experience?

Like I said though... At least they have a ((Possible?)) yearning to learn.

Comment

I've been playing GW2 for a few months, and we have a 14 year old boy in our guild. BF was watching the movie Stargate and talked about it over guild chat.

Kid: "what's Stargate?"

BF: "It came out in 1994, and it's about (blah blah)".

Kid: "Oh cool is it in black and white?"

BF: ".......Dude, the movie is only 5 years older than you and black and white ended in 1970."

Kid: "Oh. Ok."

I was pissing myself with laughter.
                Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                X