This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome, I'll be at work all night.

Ok, there could be Fratching! material here. Do not go into a discussion about that aspect here, please. If it happens, I'll report my thread for locking.

The cigarette tax here in Minnesota is going to go up on July 1. The night of the 30th we will have to do inventory of the in stock product, calculate the tax we have to pay the State on said inventory, and change prices in the till. Last time this happened in 09' it took us 3 hours to do it with 3 people.

This time it's going to be me doing it by myself. The reason is everyone else will be on vacation, so thus, no help with it.

So a what will already be a 13 hour day might turn into an 18+ hour day .
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Oof...is there any chance the DM or equivalent person could be called in to help (ideally, ASAP)? Especially when you mention how much extra it'll cost in Labor to have you do it solo?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Someone better be ordering you pizza.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Oof...is there any chance the DM or equivalent person could be called in to help (ideally, ASAP)? Especially when you mention how much extra it'll cost in Labor to have you do it solo?
        Well, we're a locally owned store, so no DM. I'm one of the owners.

Last time (2009) there was myself, Business Partner, and his wife doing it. It took about 3 hours to do.

This time they'll be on vacation when this goes on, so, I'll be doing it myself. I'm not going to pay someone else to help me with it. And no labor cost with me doing it. I won't be getting paid for this.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Could you not split up the counting over a couple of days?
          Surely you wont sell a lot of the stock over 2 or 3 days.

Comment

Quoth chikenlady View Post
            Could you not split up the counting over a couple of days?
            Surely you wont sell a lot of the stock over 2 or 3 days.
            Nope. The tax goes up on the first, and we have to pay tax on what's there. It'd change if I tried doing it over a few days.

Besides, the 29th is my 40th birthday. There's no way in hell I'll be doing cig inventory that night.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              Someone better be ordering you pizza.
              If you're doing this with no pay, this is the LEAST you should get for it ...

Comment

Hrm. Maybe consider closing up shop early, so you can get out of there before Oh-Dark-Thirty? o_O
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well, it's done, and it actually went pretty fast. The form was easy to fill out, which shocked the hell out of me. It wasn't Chinese algebra, just algebra. We also sold down a lot of stock. We only had 807 packs in the store.

However, we STILL don't know if there's going to be an increase on the standard cigars, and today is the day. The "little cigars" are going to be taxed as cigs now, and the "giant" cigars are taxed pretty heavily (we don't have any of those, and I don't remember what it is).

Well, posting after a 12 1/2 hour day at happy hour, after a 14 yesterday.

EDIT - I forgot to add that I can't change prices on the till because of the lightning fried the connection between the till and computer. So it went faster because of that.
                  Last edited by Victory Sabre; 07-01-2013, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Can I join you? I didn't get to sleep until midnight, then worked this morning from 5:30 to 8:45. After that I went to church and taught my third-graders. I got something of a nap, and had to work tonight from 4 to 8. I'm exhausted. Why am I up? Why don't I have a drink in my hand?
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                    X