• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcdonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old!

Link here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/mcdon...3#.UZ-Ye4fCZ8E
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

"If parents haven't taught their kids about healthy eating then the kids probably believe that junk food is good for them because it might taste good."
    Technically that applies to all junk food, candy, and fast food.

I remember ... it was either a nutrition class or a psychology class where they showed some studies that "proved" kids would regulate their own diets if allowed to make their own choices. Until it was pointed out that they only gave the kids healthy options to begin with, and that the kids were consistently picking the sweet & tasty options from those presented.

Trying to promote health is great, but ... "tricked" is a bit overdramatic in my opinion. "Tempted" is really better since "tricked" is discounting free will and suggests that there's no ability to decide for oneself, and while kids might not know enough about nutrition to pick the healthy choices... their parents and guardians should.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      and while kids might not know enough about nutrition to pick the healthy choices... their parents and guardians should.
      If I'm being honest the entire thing kinda did kinda scream to me of 'parents wanting the world to do their parenting for them' the minute she started asking her question.
      Last edited by firecat88; 05-25-2013, 04:39 PM.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Yeah, that nine-year-old came up with that question all by herself. Mommy did not offer any help at all. And my butt can sing showtunes.

I absolutely detest parents who use their children this way. Just like the parents in the stores who use their children to try and summon an employee for help. "Gee, I don't know where the batteries are, do you? Maybe that salesman over there will help us, if he's nice...."

"If parents haven't taught their kids about healthy eating then the kids probably believe that junk food is good for them because it might taste good."
        This is the real point right here, but it doesn't sell newspapers or get people to click through to the article.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          ... And my butt can sing showtunes...
          And all this time you've been claiming the wilted greenery was those old geezers on their Senior Day at the Swamp excursions.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
            If I'm being honest the entire thing kinda did kinda scream to me of 'parents wanting the world to do their parenting for them' the minute she started asking her question.

That and anytime I read an article involving a child that's done such grand philatrophic works, it makes me wonder if the parents didn't put the child up to this.

I'm sorry but when I was nine years old, I was NOT concerned about big companies . . . I was too busy helping Mom with the household chores and watching over my younger brother and Grandma. Or my nose was stuck in a book, but that wasn't really often enough for my liking (usually summer vacations from school when I had my housework done for the day.)

Color me jaded if you'd like but I cannot stand parents who try to seek attention through their kids.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

i don't really remember ever nagging my mom to take us out for fast food. We got to have it when she said we could. Part of that was probably because she had no qualms about telling us "No" - and that arguing with her over it would NOT get us what we wanted.

and the other part of that was... well two parts really. We had healthy food at home (tasty too!) and we didn't have to rely on fast food in order to eat.

Comment

^ This. Back when I was a kid, going to McDonalds was a rare treat, for example, for someone's birthday. Most of the time, we ate food that was cooked at home and if we refused to eat it, we went hungry. A lot of people seem to think that if their kids refuse dinner that they are then compelled to offer something else the child might like. Um, you're the parent. That means that you're in charge, not the child. They're not going to starve themselves; after going hungry once or twice after refusing dinner, they'll know better. My parents never offered an alternative; it was eat what you're given, or get nothing.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Seriously, that kid couldn't be a more obvious puppet if she turned green and sang about the rainbows, the dreamers, and me.

It's all about parenting, not being tricked. Don't go to McDonald's every day, make it a treat, problem solved.
                  By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

When I was a kid, not only was going to a restaurant or getting fast food occasional, but it was, for the most part, conditional. The condition usually involved me getting through my bi-monthly MRI's without a fuss. If I cried and screamed the whole time, no breakfast at Burger King for me. Did I pout about it? Sure. Did I loudly protest? No. Mom and Dad's word was law.
                    Last edited by firecat88; 05-30-2013, 04:27 AM.
                    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
                    X