This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Update

Last year I posted a thread in which I mentioned a physical I had, which said, I n essence, that I was amazingly healthy...other than my out of whack cholesterol ratio. Not that I had high cholesterol...I didn't. I just had very low GOOD cholesterol, which threw my bad-to-good cholesterol ratio completely out of whack. This bothered my doctor enough for him to give me a lecture, despite the fact that there is really no way to raise good cholesterol, nor lower bad cholesterol lower than mine already was. Well, no way, other than taking pills, or major dietary change, to a diet that was already significantly healthier than the vast majority of people. My doctor suggested drastic changes that would have made me miserable, and MIGHT have had some effect...but might not.

So, I ignored him. Because to me, quality of life is far more important than length of life. To be miserable just to live a bit longer simply wasn't worth it. Nor, as noted, was there any guarantee of lengthening my life if Doc's suggestions were taken.

One thing I did do, not suggested by my doctor, was to start eating a bowl of fruit just about every morning for breakfast. (I say "just about" because some days I had the fruit later in the day, and about a dozen or so days in the last ten months, I have missed the fruit.) When I told my doctor about this during my most recent visit, he seemed unimpressed, and said that even fruit is not always good. Further convincing me that Doc is a judgmental blowhard whose advice is questionable at best.

The results from the blood tests came back. And while my cholesterol ratio is still way out of whack, it is a full THIRD lower than it was a year ago. This without making any major changes to my life or diet other than the Big Bowl O' Fruit a day.

So....who's up for some berries?
    Last edited by Jester; 06-16-2013, 04:37 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I love berries!! I usually have fruit at lunchtime at work.

The doc probably said that because of the fructose in the fruit. It can raise your blood sugar if you eat too much of it. Clearly, you are not eating too much. And fresh fruit provides fiber, too. So it's all good.

You must be doing something right, Jester, if your health is that good.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ten years from now they will be saying that the good cholesterol isn't really good, or some such. I just try to eat a variety of foods, as many whole as possible, and use varied, good oils. No one can have a totally perfect diet.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The problem with eating *anything* is that you're going to die from it.

ref: The Dread Tomato Addiction
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My doctor may have thought I was eating a HUGE bowl of fruit every morning, which would of course be ridiculous. But I get a good portion size (looking in my fridge right now, the average weight of my fruit bowls, which I buy prepackaged from my local supermarket, is just under a pound or so.) Which seems to be about the right size, based simply on the fact that it FEELS like the right size; less would seem unsatisfying, and more would feel like too much.

Obviously anything can be unhealthy if done to excess, but the numbers from my blood work seem to back me up.

Still A Customer."

Comment

These the prepackaged bowls mostly melon? Melon has the highest water to fiber ratio and some of the lowest fructose amounts of any fruit. Berries, especially blueberries, are extremely high in antioxidants. Bananas, peaches, and citrus fruits tend to be higher in fructose.

Unless you're a diabetic, fruit is good for you, especially fresh fruit. Most people don't eat enough fresh fruit.

Your doctor sounds like one of those that prefers to prescribe drugs rather than look at alternative therapies.

The good cholesterol helps get rid of the bad cholesterol, but since your bad cholesterol levels are within the healthy range to begin with, despite your low good cholesterol levels, I don't think you've got too much to be worried about, especially since you eat pretty healthily and get a decent amount of exercise.
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

The proof in the pudding will be if it goes down again the next time, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

How'd the marathon training go?
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                How'd the marathon training go?
                Marathon? Me? Never! I'm not a runner...I'm a bicyclist!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Meh, it is still exercise - and exercise is good. Well, not to mention you also get to enjoy the wonderful warm sunny days and enjoy seeing people. [Well maybe not the maniacs who can't drive properly, but the nice people that are fun to watch]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Marathon? Me? Never! I'm not a runner...I'm a bicyclist!
                    Gotcha

Btw, your smiley didn't come through.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Odd, I can see it just fine. Maybe it's your browser?
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                      X