This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a scanner to scan large negatives

We spent the weekend helping my 99 year grandma move. We came across a treasure in the form of a 30 caliber ammo box stuff full of negatives dating from the 1920s to the 1940s mostly pictures of California, Washington and Oregon. The negatives are in great condition since the box has been sealed very well.

We want to scan these to view and share. The biggest problem we are having is that these are all large negatives. Anywhere from 2x4 to nearly 4x6. So a standard negative scanner isn't going to work.

So any suggestions on a scanner (preferably less then $200) or a trick that we could use to scan these.

Thanks for all the help
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

A negative scanner requires a light source behind the negative, and they tend to be expensive. Large format negative scanners are as rare as hen's teeth.

I'd have to recommend sending them out to a service bureau to get them scanned.

Comment

You might check with your local university. If they have an archivist they might know of a resource or service you could use.

Comment

I'm not surprised that they were in good condition. Ammo containers are especially known for having an airtight seal. One of the guys on my first ship used them for storing bread on deployment.

I found a DYI setup here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-...mat-Negatives/

You may also want to consider having them professionally scanned, although I'm not sure what it would cost.

At any rate, you may want to consider having a lot of digital storage space too. From what I remember my BF saying, his large format negatives (when put to digital) were so big they could only fit 3 on a DVD.

O yes, I forgot to mention, yes the negatives you described sound like "large format" ... and that's still in use even today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_...tography)#Uses
        Last edited by PepperElf; 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the DIY set up. We might try that first. Professional scanning is out of the question, it would be cheaper to get a scanner. There are hundreds in this tin.

When I get something scanned, i will post some of these.
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

Comment

i'd also recommend checking out some local photography stores to see what kind of equipment they have - or what they recommend.

i mean here in town there's not much - and i'd never use the local tech/entertainment store for something serious like this. but in the big city here there's a few stores that cater strictly to photography and they'd be more apt to have the kind of gear.

i can only hope there's something like that in your area where they can help you out.

Comment

I am not sure what our stores would have.

Your link did give me an idea for using my ott-lite and using my camera. Thank you for that link. It gives us a starting point.

Comment

there is another option that may be lower cost as well. If you can find someone who will develop them, or even home-develop it may be cheaper than getting them scanned. Then once you have the prints you can scan them of course, but you'll also have some nice prints to look at as well.

i asked my bf about scanners that would work for large format pictures and for the most part the ones he could think of were well outside the price range you mentioned.

Comment

one of my friends mentioned this one, HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner

It looks like it would work. and if my idea doesn't work I might go with it

Thank you again for all your help. Out of 3 forums, you and my other friend have been the most help. I might have something up tonight.

Comment

My father in law has been converting slides with and Epson V300 photo scanner. Has a built in back light and can do an 8.5x11. He like the software that came with it. Looks like it has been upgraded to the V330. The V500 looks like a very good deal.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

We went looking for a scanner and just couldn't find one that was in stock, in our price range or did what we wanted. Why can't they have these things out so you can look at them?

So we went with a light box (small one for embossing) and black construction paper. then we used my Canon t3i in macro mode with my shortest lens and took a picture of the negative. Here is the first one.

http://darkwynds.com/Images/Other/Ne...Car%20Test.jpg

It still needs a lot of work but I am so please with the result. So only a few hundred more to go

Comment

Why can't they have these things out so you can look at them?
                        Yeah that's the problem with a lot of stores. They may have it in the system but only if you order it for pickup. The only camera store I ever found that pretty much had EVERYTHING they sold available in stock at the store was... in Japan Yodobashi Camera). Seriously, they even had a $10,000 lens in a (locked) counter display.

So... there's another option. Go to Japan!

Just kidding. Although i do wish I could go back. And could afford all of the goodies there. :sigh:

Comment

Working...
                        X