This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property managment/owner question

ETA: Background: in this city leasing season starts early, because the students. Units are generally over priced, esspecially in prime areas. Old house was renting out for 900 in a neighborhood (SWV) where everythiing esle was 1200-1400. Welcome to aggieland.

Ok, so I back in January I got my renewal notice for my old place. I got new place lined up via a different company, then I told old company in no uncertain terms that I would NOT be renewing my lease with them. They actually fussed a bit about it, if I didn't renew they'd start showing. Blah, blah, blah.
    My reaction: ok, so do it. The sooner it's leased the better. tis the season. And by the way, if you happen across a prospect that needs a Pre August move-in, I'm totally flexible and be out early if need be. (official lease end date in July 31). That's way you've got able time for make ready, which will be ample since I've lived here for five years, and some thing were in poor condition when I moved it. Some TLC and house could go for what the other places in SWV are going for.
    Their reaction: No you cannot be released early. We will not even talk about it.
    My reaction: Ok, I work for one of this towns evil empires and we do that all the time. As big and bad as people complain about, we still will do that. So be it.
    I let it go. Clean for the whole TWO showings that there have been since January. I check their website every couple of weeks for my house, no listing at all.
    In fact, I search for my exact address on every listing service that I could think of. Nothing. no marketing at all except the sign on my lawn. Untill today.
    About 11 hours ago i found it on some dinky site id never heard of before (if the time stamp is correct) and the listing is noted as -new- on their site. It wasn't there a couple weeks ago.
    So wow. Some person paid these people to market and promote their property, and zip for six months.
    Yesterday I offered to work out a payment plan for final months rent, including totally surrendering my access to them on the 1st of July. Heck, I even included any potential late fees and reletting cost in the figure. I suggested even signing over my deposit to them., in addition to the other sum (I don't expect to get that back at all because the carpet is and has been crap, and my ex husband punched holes in the walls before he moved out).
    Their response: No, you can't move out early, we don't do payment plans. I don't think you understand what I've told you. We'll evict you if you don't pay us.
    Me: So, you're going to demand I move out of a house I already have (they need to post notice to vacate before filing with a court)? And demand monies that I've already attempted to make good faith arrangements to get to you?
    Their response: I'm not talking to you anymore. You need to call.

BF thinks I should just let it go. My co-workers have suggested I track down the owners and talk to them. Funny enough, they live about 4 houses down from new place. Lol!

If feel sorry for the owners, no leases for new season and a company that won't do jack to fix the place up.

I think I'm going to approach these owners, but I'm not sure how. I really don't think this company is doing right by their property.
    Last edited by violiavampyr; 06-27-2013, 02:09 AM.

You really need to approach the owners, I bet they don't even know that your leaving.

Comment

Yeah, the owners won't know anything until you move out, when the management company called them, blaming you for moving out suddenly, and how it will take months to rent it out again (meanwhile they continue to collect their fees).

Comment

Agreed, let it go. What's the worse that can happen?
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
          I think I'm going to approach these owners, but I'm not sure how. I really don't think this company is doing right by their property.
          Knock on the door. Say, "hey I'm your new neighbor and I heard you own my old place. Thought you should know about your management company's efforts to find a new tenant after I gave my notice six months ago . . . "

Put it in their ball park and let it go.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
          X