This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Guess?

<background>Our office is in the equivalent of a local skyscraper and has underground parking. The parking is limited: on weekends, only building clients can enter the parking garage, as you have to have a building keycard to get in; during the week, between 7 am and 7 pm, the public are allowed limited paid parking, and have to sign in and out.</background>

I came in today to cover part of a shift for a weekend person who needed to attend an evening event. I make the turn to go down into the garage, flash my keycard over the reader and wait. And wait.

I admit, I was tuned in to my audiobook (just started Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs and her plots start pretty fast), so I probably sat there for close to 30 seconds before I realized the gate wasn't moving. This isn't one of those slat gates. It's a metal cage gate that covers the entire entrance.

I finally pause the disk and take a good look, and I was greeted by something I've been expecting to see for years: someone had obviously run into the gate, hard, because it was bent in a couple of feet at the bottom. Whoever had hit it, had rammed it. Apparently, it happened last night (Saturday night), so I've been kind of wondering about the circumstances.

My musings so far:

Drunk driver (Saturday night, downtown, restaurants with flowing wine cellars)
    Driver ducking the police
    Driver who needed a place to park (parking is really hard to get downtown) and wouldn't take no for an answer from a non-sentient gate
    Driver using the drive for a u-turn and misjudging the distance
    Driver who thought they had shifted into reverse, but didn't
    Local PD screwed up and left, praying there wasn't video (yes, the local PD are a joke, an evil, lazy, nasty joke)

Whoever it was, it had to be a pretty heavy vehicle to do that much damage and drive away. I hope there's video.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

My Guess:

Hapless local hero drives up and flashes keycard, engrossed in the audio version of one of the twilight series fails to notice gate for some reason is taking longer than usual to open. Tickled at the mention of one Bella's and Edward's vampire lust romp stomps hard on the gas pedal while yelling BBEEELLLAA!!11!! reaching critical speed in 1.2 seconds. Rams gate hard, waking local hero back into reality, thankfully the police grade brushguard on the pinto absorbs the brunt of the impact, hero meekly drives off before anyone notices (it was a weekend and there was no one around). As he drives off he hopes there's no surveillance video of this.
    Last edited by Josh; 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM.
    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
    ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I think you've forgotten where you are. Clearly it was somebody used to using the public parking during the week, and got pissed off when the machine wouldn't take their money.

"But I always park here on Saturday!!!"

"If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Working...
      X