This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving questions

I'm moving into a new apartment soon-ish (as in sometime this year) and I've never moved before. So I need help.

It's a company apartment, so the only utilities I'll have are phone, internet and cable/satellite. I don't need phone (parents are keeping me on their family cell plan for right now), which leaves TV and internet. I don't really watch TV much (the only shows I watch are NCIS, BBC's Sherlock, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Animaniacs if I can find it, and Kitchen Nightmares) so I think I can only get by with internet. So! What ISPs do y'all recommend? and can I watch my shows online only? (I know MLP is on YouTube same day, but I don't know about the rest) Also: Would it be worth it to get a Hulu Plus and or Netflix account?

Thanks all, and I will probably be adding more as I think of them.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

ISP availability and quality varies from city to city. I recommend you ask your neighbors, possibly go to your local computer store and ask the employees.

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
      Also: Would it be worth it to get a Hulu Plus and or Netflix account?.
      I don't know about Hulu Plus, but I have no intention of getting cable as long as Netflix streaming remains $9/month.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

It's not as though you'll be locked out of cable if you just get internet. I think you should get a decent speed setup, see if that fits your needs, and if it doesn't, leverage adding cable on later.
        Who's available in your area?

Haven't tried Hulu Plus, but it seems like it would work out for almost everything from the ads I see on regular Hulu. And I enjoy Netflix, but I can see that once I've gone through the first year or so it will fall off quickly; I'll have seen the bulk of things that interest me.

Comment

Hulu Plus is good during TV season (we cancel it in late May), but don't expect some majors shows. 30 Rock was there one week, then it was not, but it can still be watched on their website. That doesn't help me since I stream it through my 360.
          Nothing at all from CBS or any of the premium channels. Nothing from FX, AMC, not sure about TNT or A&E. It's got several Fox shows, a few ABC shows, Comedy Central staples, a crap ton of Anime and off the wall live action shows.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            Who's available in your area?
            AFAIK, charter, cox, dish and directv are out here (here being metro Atlanta)

Comment

Ok, did not get the apartment I was planning on, but a Facebook friend is looking for a roommate. I've met him once a few years ago. Ideas?

Comment

I'm moving into a new apartment soon-ish (as in sometime this year) and I've never moved before. So I need help.
                Also: Would it be worth it to get a Hulu Plus and or Netflix account?

Thanks all, and I will probably be adding more as I think of them.
                I prefer Netflix, we had both at the same time here, and we found that not only did they both had the same shows, H+ had either more commercials or loading problems, so we dropped it.
                Seph
                Taur10
                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Ok, did not get the apartment I was planning on, but a Facebook friend is looking for a roommate. I've met him once a few years ago. Ideas?
                  Set it up formally - even stuff like 'socialible hours' for loud music/tv etc. Set it up so that if it doesn't go well you can get out of it without too much trouble

I'm lucky - I haven't had problems with my friend who moved in and in fact he's saved me in so many ways I never could have expected but I know others who have come a cropper due to lax setup of stuff.

If you aren't sure on whether to do it or not then set it up to stay over for a few days. Yes he will be on best behaviour but you will get a bit of an idea of how they are to live with.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

If you were anywhere near Florida, I'd recommend bright house. They are usually reliable. Ish.
                    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      I don't know about Hulu Plus, but I have no intention of getting cable as long as Netflix streaming remains $9/month.
                      Hulu Plus is a nice investment to be honest. We have both Netflix with the DVD option and Hulu Plus. Why? Because Netflix has series that we can't find on Hulu Plus and they don't always stream everything (it's dependent on the studios).

We also watch Hulu Plus because it has a lot of anime that Netflix doesn't get. We also use it to catch up on TV shows when the DVR decides to say 'no, not gonna record' on those rare occasions. Hulu allows you to watch the shows usually the day after rather than making you wait a week or so.

The only annoying factor is the commercials, but I've noticed that they've gotten better with that, usually 2 minutes of commercials before the show starts, then a 30-60 second commercial in breaks.
                      Random conversation:
                      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Netflix, Hulu plus, and amazon prime here. Kinda debating on dropping hulu, amazon seems to have most of those shows as well. Anything I can't find on one of those sites, I can usually find via streaming online. Haven't had cable TV since 1996.

Comment

Working...
                        X