Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property management or contractor suck...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property management or contractor suck...

Our neighbors from hell (upstairs) finally moved out on Friday. But...

Mom and I were woken up at about 4AM by an ungodly racket. She gets up and goes up there; there's a painting crew of about 12 guys. Initially, nobody speaks any English and she gets the door shut in her face. The second time she goes up there (about 10 minutes later), she's told by one guy that they were authorized by the management company to start painting at MIDNIGHT. I actually go out front to see if I can find a company name on a truck, but there is none to be found.

What. The. Fuck. There are noise ordinances, and management co. has cited units for being excessively loud before (not parties, general noise level based on complaints from other apartments). She calls both the emergency maintenance line as well as the office, basically leaving a polite version of 'WTF, we have a painting crew upstairs claiming you authorized them to start work at midnight'. She also emailed the property manager directly; technically, this could be seen as a violation of the company's own policy about quiet hours.

Then she calls the general police line; while we don't know precisely what the noise ordinance covers, there is one. The officer says that while they can't actually cite them as the law is more for loud partying, he will go up and talk to the painters and there is something on the books stating that any type of construction/renovation work can't start until 7AM. We end up sleeping on the couches in the living room as there is way too much noise in the bedroom area.

Later (after normal people go to work) there's a rep for the management company doing some sort of inspection up there, and mom asks him about it. Is told "we've used this crew before, they make their own hours". They had two frakking days. Now I'm wondering if the unit next door (to the one that was being painted) heard them as well.

The movers that were around a few hours ago were quieter than the paint crew, and they were moving furniture.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Own hours or not, ordinances must be adhered to. I'm also guessing they were the lowest bidder; management has been known to increase the rent but not fix stuff that the increase should be used to fix (bizarre; this is supposedly a high-end property). I guess they only fix stuff if someone moves out.

We'll see if mom gets a call back from management and what they say. If the reason isn't good enough, we can probably go to the local housing authority; even if it only happens once, it shouldn't be happening at all.

I don't think the new renters are going to be happy when they find out that out of 3 washers and 3 dryers in the basement, only one of each works at any given time.

Comment

Painting in the middle of the night? Makes me wonder what they have to hide, or why they or their workers don't wanna easily be seen...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That was one of the first things mom said to me when it happened...after "why the do you need 12 people to paint a two-bedroom?!" I'm curious if there's some way for us to find out the name of the 'company' they used (probably not).

She heard back from the manager this afternoon. Basically all he said about it was 'we were working under a deadline'....and? That still doesn't explain why a crew was working in the middle of the night (and violating the quiet-hours policy set forth by not only the town, but by management themselves). Why not do the work during the day on the weekend when a lot of people were likely to be away?

The new tenants moved in earlier today. Ironically, the movers schlepping furniture up two flights of stairs were quieter than that paint crew...and after they left, there was very little noise from upstairs. The only large bang I heard during the day sounded accidental--something probably fell over.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          That was one of the first things mom said to me when it happened...after "why the do you need 12 people to paint a two-bedroom?!"
          Agreed, when Mrs. TGK had our bedroom and bathroom painted and it took only two guys one day (8 hours). True that we did most of the prep work: Removed the fixtures, baseboard, switch plates, furniture, etc.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Painting in the middle of the night and they didn't speak English?

Anybdy else think they're (a) undocumented and/or (b) being paid under the table?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My suspicions exactly...especially using a van with no logo, or organization name.

Also a dozen of them?
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The sheer number could be 'explained' by the deadline...but still, it was vacant for two days; also, how bad a shape was the place in to require a full repaint?

I suspect that the crew just didn't want to give up a weekend (creative interpretation of 'we have a move-out on Friday and the new tenants moving in on Monday'). If this is the paint crew the complex uses, that explains why we're still having issues with our kitchen ceiling (a large section of paint began peeling 3 or so years ago; the clowns were in to 'fix' it twice, and neither fix held for more than a few weeks). There's no evidence of moisture, so we think that the first re-do either wasn't correctly primed or the primer wasn't allowed to dry. We would do it ourselves (could probably get the right paint from one of the head maintenance guys), but mom doesn't want to touch a ceiling job.

Comment

Working...
                X