This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persuasion Techniques

So I'm considering writing a book, (or essay) on persuasion techniques we encounter every day, what works and what doesn't.

So, in daily life, what attempts have you seen to persuade? What tends to work, and what doesn't?

For example, I tend to go with the "likeable" approach, where, for the most part, people are less likely to get upset with me, and more likely to work with me, if they like me. My father likes to take an 'authority' approach, where he treats everyone like he's their father. Surprisingly, I've found this tends to work too!

(Not in customer service where he's the customer, though.)

One persuasion technique I've seen used, and misused, a lot is the "assumed close". "Just sign right here and we'll get you started." This technique works on a surprisingly large number of people but you have to remember, like many jokes, tell it once and you're a wit, tell it twice and you're a half-wit. (Misquoting Heinlein. ) When I went house shopping once, an employee for a builder kept shoving a clipboard in my face and telling me to sign; lemme tell ya, it turned me off rather hard.

Comment

It depends on the others person's personality for me. I'll use the likable approach if the person is acting the same way.

However if that's not the case, I'll switch to a different approach of, "Well, if you don't want it this way, then I guess you could go this way but..."

Something like this. Try to redirect a person to my way of thinking.
      Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Flirt. Show cleavage.

You were asking for methods of persuasion that work, not necessarily the most ethical ones. I've had success with these.

What I do at work is just like your "likeable" approach. Be likeable and empathetic, and it's easy to get people on your side. Be liberal with compliments. Make it seem like you're giving them special treatment.
        Last edited by bhskittykatt; 07-04-2013, 03:29 AM.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I tend to persuade less than listen. The drawback to this is I seem to be a very linear thinker and when a customer doesn't like my suggestions, I tend (so far) not to be able to think quickly of alternatives that the customer might prefer. Fortunately I don't hesitate to eavesdrop on my more successful coworkers ...

And it's funny you should bring up this topic. I got a call the other day from a telemarketer selling a subscription to Big National Newspaper. I said sorry, I'm back in school and unemployed and not signing up for anything right now. This usually ends the conversation right there. Not this time.

Telemarketer: "Well, where do you usually get your news?"

Me: "The internet."

TM: "Yes, but those are very short stories; they don't give you a lot of detail." *goes into long involved spiel yet again about the benefits of signing up with Big National Newspaper. I can't quote much because actually I stopped listening about two sentences in.)

Me: (when she stopped talking) "Yes, thank you, and I agree about the internet but I am unemployed and not signing up for anything right now."

TM: *rather deflated and, I think, a bit ticked off*: "Okay, well, thank you."

What part of "I CAN'T AFFORD IT RIGHT NOW" are you not getting??

Comment

Working...
          X