This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing For Dummies

So, your favorite dumb blonde CSer is gonna go get herself a fishin license and go fishing, ya'll.

Haha, I haven't been fishing in years.

Any good tips? I'm talking old fashioned worm on the hook, pan fishing type of fishing.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Its not about catching the fish. Patience, and communing with nature...and if you happen to catch a fish, great. Try not to make much noise, and just relax..catching the fish is just a bonus.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Bring beer. Lots of beer.

Oh, first, maybe I should ask, are you fish'n or catch'n?
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Always remember that to be a successful fisher(wo)man, you have to drink like a fish.

Or is that think like a fish?

Comment

OK, on a more serious note: jetty/pier, lake/river or beach fishing? (I've done the jetty and beach ones before)

I'd start by researching what you can expect to catch in that area. If the area is known for having lots of crayfish, you're not exactly going to be able to catch salmon . (Can't say much on catching crayfish, but I have been yabbying a couple of times with dad) There may also be laws in whatever area about what you can/can't catch and how big.

Go to a fishing store. Don't rely so much on an outdoor store, a fishing store can usually give you some advice on what you need to set up. A cooler box/esky is a MUST, a) to keep whatever you catch frozen and b) to keep hold of your bait (unless you're using live bait). At the bare minimum you need a rod, reel, line, hook, bait, lure and tackle box. The best way my dad's found as far as ice is concerned, is rather than buying huge bags of the stuff, is to get a whole bunch of milk cartons (not the bottles), fill them up with ice and pop them in. Because they're square, they can be stacked. They also last MUCH longer than the commercial stuff.

Also keep a first aid kit on hand for any accidents.

If you DO want to try something different, set up some drop nets and see what you can catch as well.

Also, check with the area that you're going to be catching on what is and isn't allowed in terms of nets if you're going to use them.

And finally, THIS is a yabby
          Last edited by fireheart; 07-04-2013, 01:52 AM.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Bring a frisbee. I don't know what it is with me, but I've caught more fish swishing a frisbee though the water than I have on a pole, while the fish in the frisbee a definitely smaller, eh, fish is a fish. Mom doesn't think it's natural.
            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

best advice I can offer is talk to the locals. They know that body of water better than anyone. They'll be able to let you know what's there, a few decent spots (not good mind you, those are guarded secrets), techniques, and lure/baits work well (once again, not the best stuff, that's their secret).

Beyond that, yeah, fishing is for the patient and not for those who set out to catch fish. Which is why I haven't fished in years.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
              X