This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "Quick" Stop at the Credit Union

Went to deposit my paycheck today. I had the day off and dropped by the credit union right at opening time. There were two tellers and two managers on duty, but one of the managers ran the other side of the business (loans, new accounts, etc.). I was at the front of the line while two other guys were at the teller windows.

The first guy finished up and left. Tall Teller turned to handle the first drive-through customer of the day. I waited patiently, as did everyone else behind me.

Tall Teller asked Short Teller a question. Short Teller gave an answer. Tall Teller said, "Yeah, that's what I thought," and turned back to the drive-through window.

The second guy finished up and left. Tall Teller had to ask Short Teller another question. They had a little huddle at the desk by the drive-through window, looking at some paperwork and discussing something in hushed but urgent tones. I spotted the drive-through customer looking mad.

Then Short Teller called Banking Manager over, and she joined the huddle. She confirmed what Short Teller and Tall Teller had told the drive-through customer. I could hear her side of the conversation clearly enough to remember most of it.

Manager: I'm sorry, sir, but we're not going to be able to complete your request today.
    Because your name doesn't match.
    Be that as it may, the date of birth doesn't match, either.
    No, sir, that's not valid ID. You will have to bring some documentation in for us to change the records.
    No, I can't do that.
    I can't give you access to this account because the ID you gave me has a name that is different from the name on the account, and it has a date of birth different from that of the account holder.
    I know you told me who you are. I know the photo on the ID looks like you. I know the name you told me matches the account. But the name on the ID does not match what you said or what's in our records. Because of that, I cannot give you access to this account. You will need to bring in some official documentation to change the records.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Sir, I'm not going to do it, no matter how many times you ask.
    I can't spot you a twenty for gas either.

Finally, he gave up and drove off and Tall Teller was finally ready to deposit my paycheck for me. He waved me over to his window and, instead of bidding me a good morning, he greeted me with, "Well THAT was unnecessarily complicated. What can I do for you? Paycheck? Easy!"

So my five minute trip to the credit union took about 20 minutes.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

You gotta admire some people's persistence ... well, except when it holds up everybody else in the freakin' place ...

Comment

I know it's not quite the same situation, but it's amazing the number of times I have to tell people, "No, I can't tell you anything about that account. You're not on it. I don't care if it's your spouse's/sibling's/parent's/child's/cousin's account, you are not an owner of the account, so I can't tell you anything about it." Technically, we're not even supposed to verify that a person has an account with us, but these people already know that their spouse/sibling/parent/child/cousin has an account with us.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
      X