This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What were they thinking? Tree tshirt w/ bad idea on seeds

I was going to put this in sightings but I have a link near the bottom after my story

Advice from a Tree.

I'm wearing it right now but... um...

The shirt comes with a bag of forest seeds - blue spruce, douglas fir, and ponderosa pine.

Nice idea... unless you know anything about blue spruce.

I have somewhat of a personal history with blue spruce. No official training... I just grew up with them in the yard and always took a little time to just hang out with my favorite ones. Those favorites even had names.

So when some of the new growth started looking different, I knew something was wrong. Some of the new growth would start swelling up, eventually look purple, and then turn dark brown and die.

The culprit: cooley spruce gall adelgids

So what does this have to do with douglas fir?... When the adelgids hatch they go and live with the douglas fir... what we were told decades ago was that it was a 2 year cycle. One year the insects will infect the spruce, and the next year they'll infect the fir.

http://ctrees.cas.psu.edu/scouting20...ort_may30.html
    just look up "cooly"

Granted not everyone knows this... and not everyone knows that you shouldn't grow blue spruce and douglas fir together for this very reason.

I'd just think that a company promoting trees should be aware that the cute packet of seeds they're giving out contain seeds of two trees that shouldn't be near each other.

I of course am only going to plant the spruce. Mom suggested just tossing the other seeds in a forest or something. ... fine by me as long as they're not by my spruce.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 05-23-2009, 06:31 PM.
Working...
X