Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is either the best thing ever....or the worst prank.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aethian
    replied
    Wow, I feel for this company. They were doing the right thing in the way in expanding slowly and then were given a offer on a gold platter that turned out to be yellow tin. I would also hold onto the trigger of the DoL, given that the boss has contacted you and has given a time frame on when you'll have your money.

    Leave a comment:


  • EricKei
    replied
    Got my fingers crossed for ya.

    Leave a comment:


  • Crossbow
    replied
    At least it sounds like they're trying to make it right. Hopefully the funds from this other client get released as promised. I agree with holding off on the DoL fireball, but don't hesitate to pull the trigger if they screw up again.

    Of course, even if everything is stabilized, now they're going to have to burn capital to go after the non-paying client...

    Leave a comment:


  • Seraph
    replied
    Just had a long, long talk with my boss, finally. Been frantically trying to reach him, and he finally responded today.

    tldr; they expanded because they had gotten a large set of contracts with a new client partner. Said client threw all the work at them, and when they completed it, didn't pay. So now they are stuck with a pile of work they did, a new workforce they hired on, and nothing to pay them with. They were extremely apologetic, and asked if I'd be willing to move to contract basis, until they were more stable, and could truly offer me a full-time position again. He said they would understand if I said no, since they betrayed my trust....I said get me my paycheck this week, and I will stay on contract. He sounded extremely grateful (no surprise, I heard just about everyone else quit), and said that Thursday, the funds on hold from another client are supposed to be released, and then they can pay me, and everyone else.

    I said that sounded good, but that I really needed them to do it this time, due to my bills piling up. He said he understood, and that he was in the same boat. He hasn't drawn a check either, and that he was also in dire straits with bills...so he was doing all he could to get everything paid out this week.

    Guess I'll call up the DOL with this update, and ask them to wait until Monday. It kills me to have to wait yet another week...but I guess that if they can pay by then, that'd be fine. I'd also rather not burn down a potentially nice bridge, and a possible job opp in the future.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mel
    replied
    I really hope you hear good news very soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • Seraph
    replied
    Ok, so yesterday morning I was asked if I will be staying with the company. In response, I sent a letter to the heads of the company offering a compromise. I *want* to stay with them, if they can offer pay stability. I also offered to be a freelancer who contracted with them, but that it'd have the drawback of me having to charge more, and possibly having other things to do. I also requested that I at least get my first four weeks paycheck, and that the others could be settled by the end of July, when things got better.

    They brought it into discussion, I'm supposed to hear back from them this afternoon with their decision/reply.

    On the other hand, I heard back from the Dept of Labor today as well. They took down everything, and I asked them to hold off just one day while I find out what's going to happen. I know for a fact that if I pull *that* trigger, there's no going back, and I will burn that bridge. I'd rather not, if at all possible, so I'm in a holding pattern, I guess. Going to see what today brings.

    ....hopefully good news.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aethian
    replied
    Any update?

    Leave a comment:


  • Dreamstalker
    replied
    *hugs* Aw crap, I'm sorry you had to be put through this.

    I don't know if this will help, but there's a Freelancer's Union (although based in New York, they might have some advice about getting the full story from the company).

    Leave a comment:


  • shopgirl15
    replied
    Aw man I'm sorry.

    Leave a comment:


  • cinema guy
    replied
    Oh man that sucks. I've just read this whole thread.

    At least you are being pro-active about talking to the DoL.

    Leave a comment:


  • Seraph
    replied
    No update at all. Just a restatement of "the funds are coming soon".

    The next month is going to be extremely difficult on us. I am not looking forward to this.

    Edit: I just left a message at the Florida Dept of Labor. I'll be calling them on Monday to see what my options are at this point.
    Last edited by Seraph; 06-28-2013, 11:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aethian
    replied
    I'm pulling for ya Seraph.

    Leave a comment:


  • Seraph
    replied
    Quoth Crossbow View Post
    Any more news from the company?
    I was told yesterday that the big software project launched, and "revenue should be coming in very, very soon", and that it was looking pretty good. Going to ask shortly, if there's any update.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gizmo
    replied
    *hugs* Hope that this has been sorted out now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Crossbow
    replied
    Any more news from the company?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X