Ere,what's this on my can?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ere,what's this on my can?

So it appears our local newsagent has had a delivery of 7-Up cans from across the pond! On the top it has CT HI IA MA ME NY VT 5 MI OR 10 which I assume is some sort of deposit that you can get back.
    What I don't understand is there a little map of West Virginia* with a little number 1 in. Any ideas what this might be for?

*and whilst we're at it,who designed West Virginia?It looks like a gerbil crashed headfirst into the corner of a wall and then someone drew around the corpse...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    So it appears our local newsagent has had a delivery of 7-Up cans from across the pond! On the top it has CT HI IA MA ME NY VT 5 MI OR 10 which I assume is some sort of deposit that you can get back.
    What I don't understand is there a little map of West Virginia* with a little number 1 in. Any ideas what this might be for?

*and whilst we're at it,who designed West Virginia?It looks like a gerbil crashed headfirst into the corner of a wall and then someone drew around the corpse...
    It's probably the same thing, but WV has 1 cent instead of 5 or 10.

And remember, West Virginia and Virginia used to be together. I don't recall specifically how they determined the borders of the two states.
    Last edited by mjr; 07-25-2023, 05:24 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

West Virginia split from Virginia using existing county lines. The counties that had a Baltimore & Ohio railroad presence left to rejoin the Union.

The icon of WV indicates where the drink was produced.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Er... a tattoo? Was your can with you at all times or did it go out and party without you?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          SOn the top it has CT HI IA MA ME NY VT 5 MI OR 10 which I assume is some sort of deposit that you can get back.
          You're correct. The two-letter bits are the abbreviations for states, the digits reflect the number of cents you get back for the can in that state. Yours says that in Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New York, or Vermont it's a 5 cent deposit. In Michigan or Oregon it's 10 cents.

"Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
          X