Only I could...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only I could...

...go to work at a grocery store and come home with a salamander. Well, one of my nicknames is "Doctor Doolittle", so maybe this was just a natural progression.

This morning, a coworker gives me a paper coffee cup with the lid taped on with "Look what I found down in the locker room!" She takes the lid off to reveal a dried-out lizard shape. As I watch I can see it move slightly.
    Me: "Yikes. How did it get into the locker room?"
    Her: "I have no idea. Do you think it's alive?"
    Me: "I thought I saw it move. Give it to me, if it is alive I'll put it outside."
    For some reason I decide to go into the Produce compost bin and grab a leaf of...something, wet a bit of paper towel in one of the flower buckets and put both in the cup, and I put the cup in the inner pocket of my thermal hoodie.

I check on it during the day, and while the lizard is moving a little bit more as the day goes on he still looks a bit shriveled. I decide to bring him home.

Mom: "Oh, you got coffee--wait, why is the lid taped on?" I open the lid carefully and show her the contents...who by this time is fully 'rehydrated' and a bit more active.

Right now his home is still the coffee cup with holes cut in the lid (in a suitably warm corner of the apartment); tomorrow I'm gonna pop by the pet store across from work and see if I can't get a more suitable abode (and advice on feeding). I don't know if I want to keep him permanently; we do want to try and keep him alive/happy until the weather gets quite a bit warmer and we can release him someplace.

Meet "Sal" (I know, so original):
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor
Working...
X