This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I manage to offend half the Indo population

Indo is short for Indonesian. Apologies to anyone here!

I'm currently part of my university's gamelan class. Gamelan is an Indonesian ensemble, consisting of mostly percussive instruments, however these are pitched percussion. There are a few that belong to the xylophone family which are mostly made of metal. One is made of wood. This one is called the gambang. It is pronounced "Gahm-bang".

As part of our class, we have a one hour lecture, then a two-hour practical, plus a rehearsal during the week. My rehearsal yestreday consisted of me on the bonang (in a basic form, two rows of giant kettles) for one of the songs. We had a new student and I was offering to help her on the gambang, which isn't exactly difficult to play (it's played like an ordinary xylophone except that the notes are doubled). I go to start the piece (bonang does a little intro) and the girl on a saron (metallophone in the basic form) goes to me

"Do you realise you said gangbang?"

Running back through my memory I realised...."oh crapcrapcrapcrap"

I HAD said gangbang...and basically offered to help

Thankfully the class is small (there are six of us enrolled, two come and play with us in the prac, we have another teacher who joins us, plus our two tutors, a lecturer and someone else) but this practice had the six of us plus one of the tutors...our very cute male tutor. So we all had a good laugh about it in the meantime
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...
Working...
X