This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Help Please!

Our cat is 4 years old. We adopted her at 4 months, right after we got married.

Problem 1: Mei Mei has always been a very good girl. She never scratched things that weren't meant to be scratched, and most importantly, she never went outside her litter box. Even when we moved last year, she seemed to adjust pretty quickly. Her worst offense was being a whiny butt when she had to be in the car, and throwing a fit when we had to shove her in her carrier- though I suppose I can't blame her. Sometimes she puked on the carpet, but, you know...cats.

Recently, we've been having problems though. And if they continue I'm afraid Husband will insist on getting rid of her, which would break my heart. I know lots of people here have cats, so I hope someone can give me an idea on what direction to take.

She's defecated outside her litter box three times in the past two weeks. Never on the carpet, just on the tile beside the box. After the first time Husband started cleaning it every day, in case she thought it wasn't clean enough. After the second time he removed the cover, and she used it perfectly for several days after that. The third time was just today.

I can think of two explanations for this:

1. A medical problem of some kind. Although, today it seemed as if she had been holding it specifically to go in that one place, as there was far more than usual.

2. She's anxious because she senses things are going to change soon (having a baby in a couple weeks).

My plan is to buy some enzymatic cleaner on Wednesday and scrub down the utility room where the box is. Tomorrow I will call and get her a vet appointment, since it's nearly time to have her annual checkup anyway and will be easier to do now than post-baby.

Does this sound like a solid plan? Is there anything else I can try?

Problem 2: Mei Mei is fat. I'm ashamed to take her to the vet, because they'll be thinking what a terrible owner I am to let her get this way. She has a fat pouch under her tummy that hangs halfway down her legs. When she sits, it covers her feet.

She gets 1 cup of Iams Organic food (20% less fat, supposedly) and 1 tablespoon of wet food a day (wet food is a treat). She refuses to exercise. Her idea of play is to lie on her back while we throw twist ties at her so she can bat them without getting up. Laser pointers? She ignores them.

We could try cutting back her food, but here's the thing: when she wants food, she whines. Loud. Like an opera singer, only grating. And she can keep it up forever.

Any suggestions on getting her to lose weight? I plan to ask the vet that too (because what if she's not just fat, it's another medical issue?) but would like to have specific solutions to question him about.

Thanks cat people!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Here's an older thread in which the OP had a similar problem with her cat going outside its box: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=40530

As for why cats go outside their box, it's usually either because the box is too full, or stress related. Cats can get stressed over what seems like very minor or strange things. For example, usually we let the cats sleep with us, but they also tend to wake us up super-early on the weekends (like we do during the week) so sometimes we toss them out of the bedroom and shut the door so we can sleep in. Sometimes (not always) this upsets them so they'll go poo right outside the litterbox to let us know what bad parents we are. You getting ready for the baby could be part of it; have you been setting up a nursery, rearranging furniture, etc? That could do it. If that's the case, then it might take a while for the cat to calm down; specifically, until after you have the baby and kitty gets used to him/her.

As far as her being overweight, one of our cats is overweight a bit and has the "tub belly", as we call it. He's on a low-fat Science Diet formula, which we give him twice a day, but he also runs around the apartment quite a bit. I would definitely talk with a vet about it; don't be ashamed. Just tell them that you're not sure where you went wrong but you want to help kitty lose weight and just aren't sure how.

Good luck!

Comment

should probably have hubby scrub the area to be safe hon.

pregnant women should not be around litterboxes.
      My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

My Velcro had similar problems with litter boxes. With her, though, it was because she was a very large cat, plus being a bit overweight. Pretty much any 'standard' litter box was small enough that she had to hunch up to get all of her into it. This led to several 'misses' when she didn't scrunch up enough and wound up hanging over the edge. My solution was to get one of those under the bed storage tote things to use as a litter box. Problem solved! She had plenty of room to move around in there and pick JUST the right spot for doing her business.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Our two boys (Oscar and Mitchell) had similar problems with missing the box/tray. Oscar tends to also treat the rest of the house (or more specifically mine and my sister's bedrooms and the bathrooms) as his own personal toilet. Mum changes the litter everyday and we have three trays in the room so that Mitchell can't bully Oscar out of them.

what we discovered worked with both of them was: 1) changing the litter everyday or switching to another brand. We used to use Breeder's Choice cat litter, now we use another brand. (aussie-focused one)

2) whenever oscar whines, take him to his tray.
          3) anytime he does choose to use another place as his own personal box, it gets cleaned with Feline-Off or something similar designed to eliminate the scent.

Can't really say much on the weight issue, but mono's right...make sure that your hubby or someone else cleans and changes the litter tray as it carries the risk of toxoplasmosis. It's particularly dangerous for pregnant women.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

When I first brought Kitty home from the farm...there were some litter box issues. He'd been trained to use a box, but as an outside kitty, soon used everything as his bathroom. But, when I brought him home, I didn't let him go outside. Too many dogs and idiot drivers to worry about. For about the first month, he was pissing everywhere--on the floor, inside empty cardboard boxes, and anywhere else. If I caught him doing it, a stern "Bad kitty!" was enough to stop him. After he got used to the new house, he quit doing it.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thanks everyone. I bought some enzymatic cleaner yesterday and plan to use it tomorrow. Mei also has a vet appointment for Tuesday (we bought a dog carrier to shove her fat butt in...she HATES carriers so hopefully this one will be big enough she can't brace her feet on the door and resist. We scruff her, but she still fights with her back feet).

Husband has been cleaning the litter box since we got her, way before I was pregnant; his mom (a nurse) ordered him to (protecting the interests of any future grandkids ). My midwife says it's very unlikely Mei has toxoplasmosis, being an indoor cat who never gets outside, and you have to come into direct contact with cat feces to acquire it, so scrubbing the spot on the floor shouldn't be a big deal. I'll wear gloves though.

Cats...can't live with them, they don't taste food enough to eat.

Comment

To get a kitty who hates carriers into carrier?

Put carrier on its end, with door UP...NOT flat on it's normal bottom.
                Put shirt or something else that smells like home into box.

Have door open.

Get kitty. Stay calm. Drop kitty rear end first into box hole. Close door quickly.

Put it on its bottom, handle side up.

Promise kitty many many treats and whole chickens if she behaves.

All done!
                Cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Heh heh heh...how little you know Mei Mei.

We've tried the exact same thing. Problem is, even scruffed she can brace her (undeclawed) back feet on either side of the door and resist being shoved in. Last time I tried, I ended up with five bloody scratch marks on my wrist. And that was with Husband helping.

Hopefully the new carrier (meant for an 18-inch high, up to 25 pound dog) is large enough to prevent her bracing. If not, hopefully we can tie her up in a towel and just toss her in.

She's a monster. I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Comment

Working...
                  X