This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing in my ear

This is the last week before classes so everyone is running around doing their last minute stuff. I answer the switchboard for a community college and also hand out keys for the faculty and staff. Considering this is the beginning of fall semester, it means that everyone is calling in at the last minute to sign up for classes and all the teachers need keys for their new rooms.

I've been wearing the headset for the phone which is nice because I don't have to keep lifting phone to my ear (my shoulder is hurting me). Now of course, my ear is a bit sore because I can't just hold the headset away from my ear if they get loud. Plus my coworker will usually answer the phone for me if I'm dealing with keys and she can't if I used the headset. Most annoying is that whenever I get a call, the program suddenly pops up, interupting whatever I was doing.

For some reason, the cashier's office and the office for assesment testing don't have the option to hold, so you have to just keep calling till you get through. It's not by my choice. I'd love for people to be able to hold. Of course, the Cashier's Office has a message that says that all reps are busy and to hang up and try again and for some reason I get a lot of calls with people asking what that means. Mostly though people have been fairly cool today when I have to tell them, "sorry, there's not an option to hold and they're really busy today. You'll just have to keep trying to call till you get through."

In about a half an hour or so, I've gotten about 12 key requests. Most of them are for new staff which means a new card has to be filled out. Most need at least 3-4 keys. Part of the annoyance is my fault. I thought I would be getting this rush either later in the week or on the first day of classes like last year. Because of this, the keys are a bit of a mess right now. There are a bunch of keys that I need to get copied. For some reason, every time I try to tell an instructor that I need to have a copy made and I'll email them when it's ready, they get confused. The whole emailing them bit is the part they get confused on. Who knows.

We don't even start classes till next week and already I'm tired of both keys and the phone. With only half the day done, I've already gotten over 200 calls on the switchboard. I love my job, but the part of me that's a people person is wearing out. On the plus side, my shoulder is feeling better.
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall
Working...
X