This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can't afford it.

Once a year my company's IT department (where I work) has a project where people with older equipment (mainly laptops) get upgraded to something more current. Normally laptops are 3-4 years old when they're slated for this upgrade project and last year we had one of the largest projects ever.

So, it is time for this year's upgrade project. I get my list of users who are slated to be upgraded. It is very small, only 10 people (as opposed to over 100 from last year). The day before I go on vacation these laptops come in (about 12 laptops - extras for people who aren't on the list or w/ DOA new laptops). No big deal, we have something like 6 weeks to complete the project.

I come back from my vacation and not a single laptop was exchanged. At first I was mad at the other tech for not doing anything but I decided to wait to see why he didn't do them (there could be dozens of reasons).

He comes in and I ask him about it. The project is on hold. Sure enough, in my inbox from when I was on vacation, the project is on hold or even canceled because we do not have the money to exchange all of these laptops.

Um, we already bought them all and paid for them, what's left? The hour per laptop (on average) it would take to swap the user's data over? Loading their applications (easy - go to a website we have, enter in the serial number of the laptop, and select the programs and voila, they're being installed).

My company is always wondering why there is a lot of wasted money - here is a perfect example. We paid for several hundred to a few thousand new laptops and now they'll collect dust in IT room across the country because the company ran out of money for the project. We do not need another 12 laptops in my inventory room right now. We use, at most, 3-4 a month!

And yet we're not getting any pay raises this year.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"
Working...
X