This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the ditch, again

Cooper's thread reminded me of a few wrecks I saw last Friday when we got some snow. We only had maybe an inch of pretty slushy stuff in my town, but where I work saw over five inches in spots (and keep in mind plow service is spotty at best in this region). As a nervous snow driver, if I had known that ahead of time I would have stayed home, but since I didn't see it until I got off the interstate (halfway there already), I decided to tough it out. And I made it. Some people didn't. And some people...some people were just stupid.

My coworker was possibly the stupidest. I have to throw him into Roadkill Hell because this was simply sad.

So at work, I was hearing about a fresh accident nearby where someone had ended up in the ditch. Guests were telling us about it, and we later figured out it was one of the staff in another department. I was a bit confused about where it was, though, until I left work and saw it for myself.

To get to The Resort, you must traverse miles with many hills and curvy roads. And they were scary that day. The final mile, though, is on flat land with gentle curves. It also had no ditches, as far as I knew. Once I made it down the final hill to that stretch, I knew I was going to be okay for the rest of my commute. That final mile is easy, even in the snow for someone like me. I can't really emphasize that enough.

My coworker had wiped out on that final mile. As it turns out, there is one ditch about two and a half car-lengths long. He found that one, lone ditch. Again, no reason to wipe out anywhere on this stretch except for excessive speed.

I couldn't muster up any pity. All I could do was facepalm. It was that pathetic.

Seriously, flat land, one teeny tiny ditch, and of course he ended up there.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Working...
X