Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You are so fired. And YOU? You really are fired!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cindybubbles
    replied
    Any update on what happened to the SC's Manager friend?

Leave a comment:

• taxguykarl
    replied
    Ah yes, the different pay stub formats. At my workplace, the stubs for overtime and straight time were different when Mrs. TGK & I applied for our first mortgage. I had to get the payroll director to write a letter to the bank underwriter to explain that. Good thing he owed me a favor or two.

Leave a comment:

• Geek King
    replied
    Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    or...as reported in the company newsletter 'leaving to pursue exciting new opportunities' ...
    Heh. The last boss I had that "left to pursue new opportunities" did so after a several-month investigation of mishandling government housing funds. No charges filed, but there was apparently a LOT of hanky-panky going on with special awards and bonuses. You know its never good when the government auditor comes to IT and asks for the last six months of someone's emails.

Leave a comment:

• protege
    replied
    Quoth Argus View Post
    I think I've seen some "know your customer" initiatives over the years.
    I've seen quite a few of those. I work for a brokerage, and even though I don't open accounts, I have had to take the continuing education classes and tests. Most deal with money laundering and fraud. Basically, if the customer is evasive, cannot provide verification of things, you're not supposed to open the account. Most people don't want to risk losing their securities license, possibly their job, and having the incident(s) follow them throughout the rest of their careers.

Leave a comment:

• CrazedClerkthe2nd
    replied
    Heh, the company newsletter thing reminded me of the WWE thing where they almost always wish outgoing talent, regardless of reason for their departure "well in all their future endeavors."

They've actually even used it as an inside joke in storylines before.

Leave a comment:

• sirwired
    replied
    I guess SC's have a propensity to be lazy, as none of those documents are difficult to forge, especially since most of them also have electronic equivalents these days. Frankly, I'm surprised more fraud doesn't happen; it'd only be spotted if I was a stupid enough fraudster to get a mortgage from my own bank (so they could pull my records themselves) and/or got a tax transcript direct from the IRS.

That said, my employer does automated electronic employment and income verification, and there'd be a pretty high risk the underwriter would know that already.

Leave a comment:

• Argus
    replied
    Quoth Limescale View Post
    They mercifully told me it was all good and I was overthinking things, as I often tend to do.
    I think I've seen some "know your customer" initiatives over the years. Perhaps they had noticed the rainbow pay stubs.

One dramatic example of a bank knowing its customers involved a co-worker who was in the habit of spelling 50 as "fivty". He once got a phone call from his bank about a suspicious check drawn on his account: His wife looking over his shoulder had insisted that he write it as "fifty" on the spelled-out amount line.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    or...as reported in the company newsletter 'leaving to pursue exciting new opportunities' ...
    Or not: http://dilbert.com/strip/1994-01-07

Leave a comment:

• bankworking
    replied
    Quoth Limescale View Post
    Oh my, I actually worried this would cause me problems when I was sorting out a car loan some years back. Worked for a company that couldn't seem to decide what color paper the pay stubs should be printed on, meaning that some weeks we'd get plain white, then the following weeks it'd be pink, yellow, blue, orange, green and so on.

When I went to the bank I was swearing up and down that the rainbow of pay stubs I brought with me were genuine and that we had some really indecisive management.

They mercifully told me it was all good and I was overthinking things, as I often tend to do.

Nah, cashing a check doesn't care too much about a payroll check looking a bit different. A Cashier's Check or Money Order looking wrong is a huge red-flag, but a payroll check is most likely good. Not 100%, but most of the times when a payroll check is bad, it's a small time employer who forgot to fund the payroll account rather than fraud. (Or someone trying to deposit their check "receipt" the first time after their direct deposit starts.) If you have a good account, you probably aren't faking your paycheck. If you are... you soon won't have a good account.

Check cashing issues is more about trying to catch checks from people trying to scam you or just check amounts too high of risk for your account history. Or an usually large number of checks, if it is you pulling the fraud and you're trying to get a lot through before they start bouncing.

Proof of income is a bit more stringent, especially when the loans get into the tens (or hundreds) of thousands...

Leave a comment:

• Argabarga
    replied
    It's like a weird Oprah episode.

You get fired!

And YOU get fired!

And you, and you, and you.....

Leave a comment:

• Kit-Ginevra
    replied
    Quoth South Texan View Post
    "And why did you leave your last employer?"

"Oh, they got all upset just because I tried to help a former employee get a loan by telling a 'little white lie' to the bank that she still was employed. Can you believe they tried to say it was fraud? I still cannot believe how unfeeling people can be just because you want to help out a friend."

Leave a comment:

• Limescale
    replied
    See, remember how I said we start to get to know what certain company paystubs look like? These... they're the wrong color.
    Oh my, I actually worried this would cause me problems when I was sorting out a car loan some years back. Worked for a company that couldn't seem to decide what color paper the pay stubs should be printed on, meaning that some weeks we'd get plain white, then the following weeks it'd be pink, yellow, blue, orange, green and so on.

When I went to the bank I was swearing up and down that the rainbow of pay stubs I brought with me were genuine and that we had some really indecisive management.

Leave a comment:

• panamared
    replied
    Quoth bankworking View Post
    But Customer's friend, Manager, is having Company's HR put a case against her. We don't get the details there, but from the information their HR asked us to provide, our Fraud has no doubt that Manager is out a job.
    This needs to happen to a lot more SC's. Those who are racist or sexist should have their experiences recorded and posted online in the hopes that it will come back to wherever they work, so that a subsequent protest against the company will result in that person losing their job.

Then we can all go party!

Leave a comment:

• eltf177
    replied
    I think this is just about the most perfect case of Professional Darwinism I have ever seen...

Leave a comment:

• South Texan
    replied
    "And why did you leave your last employer?"

"Oh, they got all upset just because I tried to help a former employee get a loan by telling a 'little white lie' to the bank that she still was employed. Can you believe they tried to say it was fraud? I still cannot believe how unfeeling people can be just because you want to help out a friend."

Leave a comment:

• seigus
    replied
    Must be a pretty damned good friend to put your job on the line for them. Damned good.
    Stupid people ARE stupid, indeed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X