X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slave to the Phone
    replied
    People just don't read signs. I'd like to blame it on people expecting everything important to show up on their phones, but that not so.

Over 30 years ago, back when people came to the library to borrow books (words printed on paper) I was constantly hanging signs all over my little department explaining where the different books were and how to check them out.

I even taped signs to the counter. Brightly colored signs. One in the same place that people would lean on the counter to ask me the same question over and over.

I gave up.

May I give all of my fellow members a big thumbs up because we are the few, the smart, the ones who read things!!! GO US!!!

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Also, for any deli people out there, PLEASE put the label on the bag in such a manner that it can't be opened without tearing the label. This is one thing that bugs me about the deli at one local supermarket - they just slap it on the side of the bag, where it doesn't foul the zipper.

Never worked retail, but I can imagine a less-than-honest customer asking for a pound of cooked ham (the cheap stuff in a rectangular "loaf") and a pound of organically-raised artisan stone-roasted ham (this would be sliced from an actual hog's leg, not a "meat glued" "loaf" or "football" - an expensive product). Days later, the guy stocking cat litter finds the cooked ham and the bag from the "good stuff". CustomerThief has put the "good stuff" in the bag from the cheap stuff, busy cashier doesn't notice (weight feels about right, they don't have time for more than a quick glance) when ringing it up.

Leave a comment:

• Lace Neil Singer
    replied
    Quoth EricKei View Post
    This does raise the question...When you have pumps that are out of order, how many folks come by and -- like this lovely lady -- try to pump gas after removing the big bright "Out of Order" bags (etc) that are covering the pump handles? (I'm just going to assume that the number is greater than zero )...
    It's far too many to count. Most of them come inside to complain that "that pump doesn't work!"

Leave a comment:

• Ironclad Alibi
    replied
    Quoth EricKei View Post
    This does raise the question...When you have pumps that are out of order, how many folks come by and -- like this lovely lady -- try to pump gas after removing the big bright "Out of Order" bags (etc) that are covering the pump handles? (I'm just going to assume that the number is greater than zero )...
    Lots of them, according to other posts on this forum. There is nothing you can put an "Out of Order" or similar sign on that an SC will respect. In addition to gas pumps examples include self check outs, drink dispensers, doors, vending machines, copiers, roads, bridges, etc.

Leave a comment:

• EricKei
    replied
    Mike - Good point In my case, tho, I seldom have enough cash to fill it up anyway. When I do...they just give me change when I go back inside afterwards. 'Tis why I use a card wherever possible.

Leave a comment:

• MadMike
    replied
    Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    I can't imagine why ANY gas station would allow someone to fill their tank BEFORE paying
    My complaint with "prepay only" was if I wanted to fill up my tank, how was I supposed to know how much it was going to cost until after I filled it?

Of course, once they put card readers on the pumps, it became a non-issue.

Leave a comment:

• Monterey Jack
    replied
    Quoth wolfie View Post
    My guess is that it's when the sucktomer changes their mind at the cash register. If they decide "wait a minute - I'll have the honey ham instead of the black forest" while the deli person is slicing it, the product hasn't been out of the custody of store staff. Once it leaves the deli counter, the store has no way of knowing what happened to it between leaving the counter and arriving at the cash register.
    This is it exactly...hell, we can't even put back bagels and muffins once they've been bagged up by a customer. What a shameful waste of good food. THINK before you grab!

Leave a comment:

• Pixelated
    replied
    I can't imagine why ANY gas station would allow someone to fill their tank BEFORE paying...it's not like the gas can be put back if the customer doesn't have the money to pay.

*snip*
    Quite a few in my area do that ... BUT only with the pumps that are nearest to the office. I guess they figure it's easier for somebody to catch the car's plates? (Why they don't have cameras at each pump, I do not know.) Certainly the last few pumps in the row are prepay only.

Leave a comment:

• EricKei
    replied

I do wonder what her "defense" will be. Will she choose "Signs?! WHAT signs? I didn't see any signs!" or "They never TOLD me!" or "THEY should pay for my petrol! It's not MY fault!"

wolfman -- Good point.

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    I feel the same way about customers at work who change their minds about sliced deli meats when paying and ask for them to be taken off...hey, asshole, once the meat has been sliced or the pasta or chicken salad has been put into the container, we can't put it back, so we're forced to throw out perfectly good food.
    Quoth EricKei View Post
    They make you toss it? Dayum. o_O When I worked in a deli, we just bagged and weighed the "extra" product, and put it in the deli (cold) case. 9 times out of 10, someone else (who didn't wanna wait) bought it within an hour.
    My guess is that it's when the sucktomer changes their mind at the cash register. If they decide "wait a minute - I'll have the honey ham instead of the black forest" while the deli person is slicing it, the product hasn't been out of the custody of store staff. Once it leaves the deli counter, the store has no way of knowing what happened to it between leaving the counter and arriving at the cash register.

Leave a comment:

• Lace Neil Singer
    replied
    It's different in England; please don't derail this thread with any more comparisons between the American and British systems. O_o I've had that happen before; let's just keep to discussing the stupid SC, m'kay?

Leave a comment:

• EricKei
    replied
    They make you toss it? Dayum. o_O When I worked in a deli, we just bagged and weighed the "extra" product, and put it in the deli (cold) case. 9 times out of 10, someone else (who didn't wanna wait) bought it within an hour.

Leave a comment:

• Monterey Jack
    replied
    Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
    That's why prepay only exists.
    I can't imagine why ANY gas station would allow someone to fill their tank BEFORE paying...it's not like the gas can be put back if the customer doesn't have the money to pay.

I feel the same way about customers at work who change their minds about sliced deli meats when paying and ask for them to be taken off...hey, asshole, once the meat has been sliced or the pasta or chicken salad has been put into the container, we can't put it back, so we're forced to throw out perfectly good food. Why not put back the five boxes of sugary kids' cereal that we can at least put back on the shelf and sell?

Leave a comment:

• WishfulSpirit
    replied
    That's why prepay only exists.

Leave a comment:

• Pixelated
    replied
    Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of people really are that entitled. "You won't accept my payment of choice, so I will bid you good day, sir!"

Of course, in the real world, as opposed to SC World, that shit doesn't fly.
    Especially not when the business has put up SIGNS EVERYWHERE explaining why only certain types of payment can be taken.

A criminal record for theft ... yeah, that'll do her a lot of good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X