Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Because we totally put a card on your door to notify you about a dangerous gas leak

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protege
    replied
    Quoth gerund View Post
    Here it is electricity suppliers. Our electricity used to be only supplied by the one state owned company who generated it. Now there are tens of (mostly) unregulated suppliers who claim huge discounts on an inflated price that overall works out more expensive.
    We have that here in Pennsylvania (US) as well. For decades, you were stuck with whatever electric cartel that served your area. It was about 25 years ago that you could choose your supplier here. While the power would still come through the current infrastructure, it would come from other sources. These sources are largely unregulated--and irritating as hell to deal with. I get multiple calls--at work and at home--wanting me to change providers, since the smaller ones are so much cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Slave to the Phone
    replied
    A long time ago, in the land of Bloomington Calif, there was a gasoline/oil something with large tanks of oil...at least 16, that I remember. I was young back then. At that time, smelling a little gas from the whatever it was was normal. So, something happened and the people driving by would notice that the gas smell was strong, but dismiss it by blaming the wind.

Until the day that one of the tanks caught fire, then the fire spread to the other tanks. The heat was so intense that it melted the freeway a quarter mile away.

We lived almost 3 miles away and we could see the flames, feel the heat and smell the stink. Most exciting thing that happened in that podunk town until that time a plane crashed into the Swing Auditorium in Colton.
    Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 04-13-2019, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gerund
    replied
    Quoth catcul View Post
    A gas leak is an evacuate immediately event
    I'll see your gas explosion and raise you a BLEVE.

I was 1.33 km (4,370.73 ft) from that when it went off. I knew some of the survivors.

Leave a comment:

• catcul
    replied
    A gas leak is an evacuate immediately event for good reason. They're not going to put a notice on your door for that.

Leave a comment:

• WishfulSpirit
    replied
    Or
    Quoth greek_jester View Post
    Don't you have smart meters in the US?.
    We do. The techs aren't reading the meter they are checking for gas leaks. Energy regs require inspections to protect public safety.

Leave a comment:

• Nunavut Pants
    replied
    There was a big kerfuffle around my area about smart meters a few years ago. People were convinced they were reporting more usage than had actually occurred, as their bills had gone up after the smart meter was installed.

The furor disappeared; not sure what the actual cause of the issue was found to be...

Leave a comment:

• dalesys
    replied
    Don't you have smart meters in the US? ...
    A significant portion of the population believes that if the revenoors want it, they'll have to come and get it. Besides, the wolf dog needs some entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• Ironclad Alibi
    replied
    Don't you have smart meters in the US?
    We have them in the US. Probably several different types. But given the number of gas companies across the country, many of them have not upgraded to present day technology. Having meter readers visit all the customers is cheaper than all the new equipment required, at least in this year's budget.

Leave a comment:

• drunkenwildmage
    replied
    Don't you have smart meters in the US? We've had them for several years over here, and it's wonderful. They install it and tie it into your gas and electric meters (if you have dual fuel), tie it into the wifi network, and they can check your meter reading in real time. Before I moved back into my late mother's house I hadn't had to send in a meter reading for 3 years but always had an accurate bill.
    We don't have that, but our meters are set up with a some kind of radio device, so all our 'meter readers' have to do is drive down the street to get the readings transmitted to them.

Leave a comment:

• greek_jester
    replied
    Don't you have smart meters in the US? We've had them for several years over here, and it's wonderful. They install it and tie it into your gas and electric meters (if you have dual fuel), tie it into the wifi network, and they can check your meter reading in real time. Before I moved back into my late mother's house I hadn't had to send in a meter reading for 3 years but always had an accurate bill.

Leave a comment:

• WishfulSpirit
    replied
    Quoth MadMike View Post
    My last rental place had the meter inside, and that was a pain to deal with.
    That's why ours is moving all of them outside this year. Also I talked to Bossman about this and he told me what to tell customers to do to check our authenticity. They can check the website of the company or call customer care and give them our name. If only they'd tell that to their own employees.

As far as the scheduling thing, though, the inspection is required by public safety law. If you want to have public services, you need to comply with the laws regulating them. If you don't want to, that's fine, they'll just turn your gas off. I'm not making my guys work the weekends and miss the only time they get with their families because you think laws are optional.

Leave a comment:

• MadMike
    replied
    Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
    When our techs are out surveying and they find a home where the gas meter is inside, they leave a card on the door asking the customer to call (our number is listed) and schedule a meter inspection.
    My last rental place had the meter inside, and that was a pain to deal with. They always tried to come during the day, since apparently the don't realize most people work during the day. They'd end up doing an estimate, which was much higher than what we actually used. When we moved out, they ended up owing us a couple hundred dollars. Not sure why they couldn't transfer the credit to the new house, but then nothing about that company really made much sense.

At some point, they sent us something telling us they had to get an actual reading, and asked us to schedule an appointment. They tried to give me a weekday appointment, and I told him, I work during the week. So they suggested another day, which also happened to be a weekday, and I repeated that I work during the week. They finally caved in an arranged a Saturday appointment.

Leave a comment:

• Sandman
    replied
    I live in a city that has a municipal power company. The scammers think we get power from "major power company". I play with them as long as I can.

Leave a comment:

• gerund
    replied
    Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
    There are some truly dreadful exploiters of teenagers. The kids are hauled off to some remote location and ordered to sell, or
    I live in a major town a short (30 - 60 mins) rail trip from the state capital. There is good mobile reception, lots of cheap accommodation and lots of fast food places everywhere. No one is here if they don't want to be. No one will suffer unless they believe the bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• nutraxfornerves
    replied
    There are some truly dreadful exploiters of teenagers. The kids are hauled off to some remote location and ordered to sell, or else. "Or else" might mean "no lunch for you" or it might mean "sorry, you are now abandoned in this godforsaken town." Or, "you didn't make your quota--here's what you need to do instead."

It's more likely to be magazines than utilities, but it can be pretty grim. If you get a teenager at the door for any reason, it may be a good idea to ask them if they are afraid of what will happen if they don't make sales or to offer to help them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X