X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slave to the Phone
    replied
    Yeah, back when I was working at the food stamp office, I had people telling me that someone had done it before. My first response, was "Who was it?" It was actually kinda amusing to watch them try to "remember" who it was.

My favorites were the ones who said "my last worker said/did/promised" and I checked to find out that the last worker was me.

I can't imagine any reputable store allowing what the OP's SC was wanting. She was just a lying liar who lies. Badly.

Leave a comment:

• Food Lady
    replied
    Any time a customer said that someone allowed them to break the law, the immediate question was Who? and an exhortation that I needed to know right away because that was a serious offense. I don't tolerate dishonesty, period.

Leave a comment:

• emax4
    replied
    "Oh yeeahhh, she got fired, and the customer that tried to force us to do it got arrested too.

Security! I need you to call the fuzz..."

Leave a comment:

• SpyOne
    replied
    Quoth Argabarga View Post
    I'm always surprised-but-not-that-surprised when you tell a customer what they want is illegal.... and they don't even skip a beat in expecting you to do it anyway.
    You must not be using the right tone of voice.

The illegal thing I get asked for most is selling beer after midnight (state law prohibits selling alcohol between midnight and 6am). I explain I can't, they plead. I mention it being State law, they act like they didn't hear. They ask if I could do it just this once and I respond "It would be illegal for me to do that."

And they all stop there.
    It's almost like they can psychicly sense that the next step in that dance is "Asking someone to commit a crime is, itself, a crime, and if you continue to commit crimes on the premises you will be banned from the property."

Leave a comment:

• Kittish
    replied
    Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    She probably paid another way; the capital-M Managers know the SNAP rules. This SC was probably trying to test the waters since she got away with it once.

If it was just a CDH dealing with her, I know one in particular would have keyed it in to "avoid a hassle"
    Since she SAID she got away with it once. I'd lay odds that she didn't actually. Don't we all know by now that one of the ploys of an SC trying to get their way is "They did it for me before!"?

Quoth Kristev View Post
    Personally, I'm betting that the mismanagement caved and let her do it.
    This one I kind of doubt. This is a government thing, stores get into BIG BIG BIG, like managers and the cashier who accepted it losing their jobs immediately and maybe facing charges and tens of thousands of dollars in fines levied against the store and the individual who did it kind of big trouble for that.
    Last edited by Kittish; 01-22-2021, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamstalker
    replied
    Of course, because they know that they won't get in trouble. You will (at least more immediate, serious trouble).

Leave a comment:

• Argabarga
    replied
    I'm always surprised-but-not-that-surprised when you tell a customer what they want is illegal.... and they don't even skip a beat in expecting you to do it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Ironclad Alibi
    replied
    Quoth EricKei View Post
    Are you just supposed to TRUST the customers or something?!?
    Of course. You can always trust the customer to the wrong or illegal thing.

Leave a comment:

• dalesys
    replied
    Quoth EricKei View Post
    Wait. How are you supposed...to...*brain goes FOOM*

Crotch 22 of "Ignorance of the LAW is..."

Leave a comment:

• EricKei
    replied
    Wait. How are you supposed...to...*brain goes FOOM*

Leave a comment:

• SpyOne
    replied
    Here in Virginia those cards don't have a name printed on them, just the numbers.

Yet another way they make enforcing the rules impossible: we aren't supposed to accept EBT except from the person the card was issued to, but we have no way of knowing who the card was issued to. And the pinpad doesn't tell us it's an EBT card until after the transaction is over.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Since the name is printed on the card, and is PART OF the card... having a photocopy with that missing is just a LOT suspect. (read: No way in hell is this legit) Not "No", not "Hell no", but "Security, we has a problem here, call the boys in blue."

Leave a comment:

• Kristev
    replied
    Personally, I'm betting that the mismanagement caved and let her do it.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamstalker
    replied
    I wonder if SC was authorized to use it in the first place (or was the card even hers?). Even if the number is entered manually, the customer still needs a PIN to do anything.

Sooo many unanswered questions about this one...at least my hands are clean if anything comes up about it.

Leave a comment:

• EricKei
    replied
    I would bet dollars to doughnuts that she's *never* gotten away with it and was just lying -- It mystifies me to this day why people think that claiming "I got away with breaking the law in the past" is somehow a reason to intentionally break it now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X