This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rules of Renting Cars.........

As is probably obvious by my screen name, I work for a rental car company at a major airport. Now, I haven't been doing this for long, but it didn't take me long to develop the following rules for renting a car:

1) If you ask for a free upgrade, there is close to a zero chance you are going to get it. I will call a branch in England to get you an economy car if that is what you reserved. Don't ask for one, we get asked that question all the time and it drives us insane.

2) If you are on a cell phone, be prepared to be interrupted with our questions. I will ask you for your home phone number, address, insurance information, etc while you are on the phone as there are probably a dozen people in line waiting for their cars. Get off the stinking phone and give me your undivided attention for a whole two minutes.

3) Don't roll your eyes and get annoyed with us if we ask you if you want optional coverages, a GPS, etc. We are required to do this and get paid commission on our sales. We don't make much as it is so we need to do everything we can to feed our families.

4) If you have your drivers license and credit card ready for us, you will get better treatment. There are people who have rented cars since the beginning of time who seem surprised when presented with this utterly simple request.

5) We know, we know, you reserved a car for a certain time and certain day and we don't have it and now we are the ones who are going to get screamed at. Remember, we rely on customers returning their cars when they say they are going to. If they don't, we fall behind and may not have that convertible you are demanding. If you are understanding and relaxed, we will likely upgrade you for your courtesy. If you are a jerk, you are getting a Yugo whether you like it or not.

6) If you are flying in late at night and your flight is delayed, please have the courtesy to call and let us know. Some of us have to stay until the last flight comes in and the thought of being at the airport until 3:00 in the morning is appealing as being thrown into a vat of boiling oil. If we know we have to be there, we can prepare. If you don't let us know, it is your own darn fault if we aren't there to get you a car. Use common sense and common courtesy.

That is all for now. I am sure I will come up with more and more as we hit our busy season.
Working...
X