This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun at the Fair

Today was my town's fair. Usually, this is a great day for me because I get to wander around, eat a ton of junk and play silly games. Not this year.

My sister and her friends got a stall to sell a load of our junk, and she BEGGED me to help her out over lunch time. I shrugged and agreed.

My friends and I showed up and hung around for a while so we could understand the stall a little and that was when Suck No. 1 happened.

Suck No. 1

A guy comes up to our stall, looking in a really dodgy way at my 12-year-old sister and her friends.
    Guy: Hello there.
    Me: Hi!
    Guy: *ignores me* So, how are you?
    Sister: *looks creeped out*
    Guy: I'd guess about 15.
    Sister: I'm 12.
    Guy: Oh... I see... *turns to her friends* And you two?
    Those two: We're 12!
    Guy: Oh... *turns to me* And you? How old are you?
    Me: I'm 20.
    Guy: *sounds disappointed* Oh, I see... So, you've got some DVDs here?
    Me: Yeah, some of them are still in their shrink wrap.
    Guy: *nods mindlessly* So, where do you hang out?
    Me: Anywhere but the gutter.
    Guy: *doesn't get the hint and continues to look at all of us in a really weird way*

He proceeded to just mess up our table, fan himself with everything and annoy all of us. EVENTUALLY he went away without buying anything. Douche.

Suck No. 2

A few minutes later my sister and her friends decide they need to take a break - fair dues, they've been doing this for hours. I take over (my freaking lazy friends decide to bugger off into the shade).

I then get some other annoyance in the form of a fat middle-aged woman.

Woman: Hey, if I play Lucky Dip can I get these two books free?
    Me: Um, I'm afraid not. I'd be happy to sell you the books and let you have a free go on the Lucky Dip, though.
    Woman: But the books cost more.
    Me: I know.
    Woman: So can I just pay 50p for the books and not go for the Lucky Dip?
    Me: No, the books sell at sticker price.
    Woman: *throws the books down on my table, knocking a few things off, and storms off*

The books cost a total of £3 and I would have been happy to go a little lower, but not for someone that cheap.

Suck No. 3

Not really a suck, I guess. This one made me kinda sad really, but my friends told me this was totally hilarious.

Little boy (about 5 or so): Hi.
    Me: Hey there. You looking for anything in particular?
    Little boy: Got any DS games?
    Me: Well, just one now. This Raving Rabbits game.
    Little boy: How much is it?
    It's £5, but I feel this is a little much for this kid, and since the object is more to sell our junk than to get loads of cash, I lower it.
    Me: Well, how about we say £3 for it?
    Little boy: Can I have it for free if I trade it in for this game? *pulls out some monster game*
    Me: Um, no, sorry.
    Little boy: But what about that yellow letter they sent out?
    Me: Sorry?
    Little boy: Don't you remember? It was at the beginning of the month?
    Me: Um, I don't do trade-ins, I'm afraid. I'm not a shop.

The kid looks like he's about to start crying, but hands over the £3 and leaves. I feel seriously mean, and my friends laughing about how they thought he was going to burst into tears was not helpful.

After this my sister returned and my friends and I RAN so we couldn't be forced to help again.

A Sighting I WISH I'd Seen.

I was told about the best story tonight over dinner.

As they were closing up there were a few books left over, 3 of them books about my uni subject - Classics (Greek and Roman times). These 3 I had personally gotten for free as prizes from my school, but together they retail at well over £100. This little old man comes over and picks all three of the books up and he gets out his wallet. My sister tells him he can have them for free since they're closing up and really don't want them anymore.
    The man's face lights up in a way she'd never seen before and says, "Really?"
    My sister nods, smiling, "Sure. You're the only person who's shown any interest in them anyway. Panda would be happy to know they're going to someone who appreciates them."
    "Oh, bless you." He smiles from ear to ear and walks away, clutching the books to his chest.

Just hearing that made me SO happy , and it was totally worth the aching feet and sunburn.
    Fujoshi and Proud
Working...
X