This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let them freeze!!

Here's a tale dusted off from my dreaded supermarket days.

My store - like many large supermarkets - had two entrances. However, unlike most others, the secondary entrance opened up right into the checkout area at registers 9 and 10. This meant that in the wintertime, anyone working down at that end of the checkout would get blasted by cold air every time the doors opened. Therefore, as a courtesy to the employees, on cold days when it was busy enough to have those registers open, management would close those doors. They'd still be unlocked so they could be used as an emergency exit, but the power to the door motors would be turned off so they wouldn't open unless you pushed them open.

Surprisingly, only once did I ever hear anyone complain about this. It was a particularly mouthy woman who demanded to see the manager, so I fetched the MOD, who happened to be the assistant general manager and a very calm, rational guy.

AGM: Yes, ma'am?

SC: Why can't I go out that way? It's freezing outside and I don't want to walk all the way across the lot!

AGM: Well, actually that's the exact reason why the doors are closed. It's not fair to the people working here to have them open. We don't want them to freeze.

*repeat several times*

SC: Well that's just stupid! *leaves*

Oh yes, it's stupid to watch out for the health and safety of your employees. Selfish EW....
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.
Working...
X