This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No sleep for you!

Today is Big Awesome Marathon. The first runners should be finishing up right about...now. Since they start early, everyone came to town last night to get settled and rested. Also, lots of weddings this weekend, too. The result was no rooms available within at least a 30 mile radius of town. I was sold out by 6pm.

But first, a pet peeve of mine:

Me: "Hi, how can I help you?"
    SC: "Reservation XYZ123...."

Woah woah WOAH! Slow down there, buddy. First off, a "hello" would be nice. Secondly, a name is a lot easier to look up. Just walking up and barking numbers at me is rude and off-putting. It's right up there with people who just toss their credit cards at you.

And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to...

Before I was sold out, I was down to my last few smoking rooms.

When telling this to guests, I had not one, not two, but three different iterations of the following last night:

Me: "I'm sorry, all I have left is a smoking room."
    SC: *grasps neck, starts dramatic choking effects* "Can't... do.... smoking.... can't.... breath.... aaaugh!" *dramatic collapse*

The last one left after his performance... and came back 10 minutes later to take the room once he realized that no one had anything else.

(I kid with the title. None of them were particularly Oscar-worthy.)

No, really, we're sold out

SC: "Do you have any nonsmoking rooms left?"
    Me: "I'm sorry; I'm sold out of everything."
    SC: "I'll take a smoking, then."
    Me: "I'm sold out of everything!"
    SC: "There's no rooms left?"

SC: "Do you have any rooms left?"
    Me: "I'm sorry, but we're sold out."
    SC: "You have got to be FUCKING KIDDING me!"

Nope. I'm not fucking anything you.

Lack of planning, part 1

SC: "We need a room for two."
    Me: "I'm sorry, but we're sold out tonight."
    SC: "Does anyone else have rooms?"
    Me: "Your best bet is to head either to [town 30 minutes south], or head north and find something across the border."
    SC: "Oh no! We can't cross the border until tomorrow; we bought too much stuff!"

Well, you can cross the border; you just have to pay the duties. You won't find anything between here and there, so I guess you gotta pay up. Or have a really convincing "I brought it down with me" speech prepared.

Lack of planning, part 2

This couple wasn't actually sucky, but I think that's because I was their first stop. They were like "Okay, we'll try somewhere else, thanks!"

I didn't have the heart to break their optimism and tell them they weren't likely to find anything. They were on bikes. As in bicycles. They came in around 9:30pm with no reservations. On bicycles. I mean if you have a car you can drive to the next town fairly quickly, and worst-case scenario you can go to the Mart of Wal and nap in the parking lot. You can't sleep in a bicycle though. What would they do if they couldn't find something? I just don't know what you'd do then...find a bridge to sleep under or something?

Just...the mind boggles sometimes...

No sleep for you! No sleep for me!

So I worked from four until midnight, and had to be up by 3am for the paper route, and then back at work at 8am for a maintenance shift. So I needed to get whatever precious hours of sleep I could squeeze in. I was MOD, so I was sleeping at the motel after my shift.

Around 1am, some sort of large truck (sounded like a box truck, maybe) decided to park RIGHT outside my door. When they got out, they slammed their car doors so hard it rattled the furniture in my room! Needless to say, I was just starting to doze off when this jolted me back awake. I almost got up to tell them to keep it down, but I was so cozy under the blankets...

I knew that if they didn't already have a room, they weren't getting once, since all our arrivals had arrived and every last room was physically occupied. Sure enough, a minute later, they came back to the truck. I heard some guy ranting about how "[our city] fucking sucks!". There was more furniture-rattling slamming of doors, a bit louder the second time around, and the truck drove off.

Sleep was elusive after that disturbance. I think I got an hour and a half of sleep last night, maybe. I tried to squeeze in a nap between the paper route and my maint shift, but to no avail. I finished all the maint tasks as quickly as I could (there weren't many), and now I'm typing this at home, and after I click the submit button I am going to pass out until Hubs gets home. Goodnight, y'all!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Working...
X