Bring your kids through my line anytime -- especially the older one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring your kids through my line anytime -- especially the older one

I had a young-ish couple come through my line (grocery store) a week or so ago. Each parent had a buggy. Besides the groceries, each buggy contained a child: one was (I think) pre-speech, the other was maybe 4 or 5 years old.

Older kid: "What's your name?"

Me: "[Pixelated]."

Aaaand he was off and running. Imagine a child who actually has only two hands but is managing to point in six different directions at once.

"[Pixelated], what are those buttons for?" (My keypad.)

"[Pixelated], what's that over there? What's it for?"

"[Pixelated], what's that?"

"[Pixelated], what are those?"

"[Pixelated], why isn't there anybody over there?" (Pointing to an unstaffed register.)

And so on and so forth. His mother was leaning on the handle of her buggy, face in her hands, probably thinking I couldn't WAIT to get rid of them. Actually, in retrospect, I'm sorry I didn't offer to give the kid a KinderEgg (we're not supposed to give those out anymore, but fuck corporate and their cheap ways). He brightened my day up 100% and he sure was a lot more welcome than the whiny, snivelly, tantrum-y "I WAAAANT THISSSS!!!!" kids that I see too much of (some days I really miss the lockdown, when people did not bring their little ankle-biters into the store. But then, of course, I wouldn't get to deal with kids like that one. )
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero
Working...
X