This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester Bus

This is a story from years ago, it came back to my mind when someone here talked about bus fares and £10 notes.

Because that was the smallest note I had, when I arrived at Manchester Airport. I needed to travel on to a town not far away, but I wasn't sure how far away it was and wasn't willing to risk a fortune on a taxi fare. I located a bus to that town on the schedule and happily went to find the bus stop. (I only had one small suitcase, so no problem.)

The bus already stood there and I chatted with the driver, turned out his son was studying in Germany, small world. He also mentioned that this was his first time on that tour, and I joked that I'd get an extra sightsighing tour. He: "No no, can't happen..." pointing to his tour notes. And he couldn't break my tenner, but since I'd ride to the end of the line, I'd pay then, no problem.

I like riding public busses, you see areas you'd normaly won't. OK the group of schoolkids was a bit noisy, but I lived. Suddenly the driver turned to me: "You were right! I just missed a turn!" Me: It took some manoeuvring to get back on track. And I appologized for jinxing it.

As we were driving into the town, I saw the hotel I had booked, and said: "Oh, great there's my hotel!" Whereas the driver stopped to let me off. Me: "But I haven't even paid the fare." He just waved it off. I said: "Thank you very much indeed!" And got off the bus.

I still smile when I think of this, and hopefully so does the driver.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Working...
X