This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexplained Spills, Impatience, And Denials

I recently started work at Staples, as a computer tech. Last night, we took in a computer which had a power switch with a tendency to stick, causing the computer to turn off shortly after being switched on. We took it in as a free tune-up for a preliminary look, and told her that we'd call within 72 hours (which was supposedly also the amount of time since it'd last been used) to give her an update on it's status.

Did she wait 72 hours?

Of course not.

She showed up the very next night, demanding answers. I had been too busy to get to it since she brought it in, but decided to take a look anyway. I opened the case, removed the front faceplate, and saw telltale brown stains on the inside of the plastic panel. Having had plenty of first-hand experience with what a sticky liquid can do to a piece of equipment, I could tell that something had been spilled inside. I worked the internal switch, and sure enough, it was getting stuck inside itself. In addition, the external button showed signs of a sticky coating around and on top of it, and often made a nice crunching noise when pushed. I told the owner than it likely had had something spilled in it.

What did she do?

Deny that it could even be possible!

She claimed that she'd had it in a corner, up against a wall, and that nothing could ever have gotten inside. She also claimed that the brown stuff was glue left over from manufacture. HP may not make the finest computers known to man, but they aren't that shoddy. Even Dave1982, who recently became my co-irker, could see that something sticky had been spilled inside.

We explained to her that we could contact one of our other techs, and see if he could order the proper switch assembly from HP, and she liked the idea. Only one problem: she absolutely refused to pay our standard $50 diagnostic charge for it! In my opinion, it's a small price to pay for having a computer which boots properly every time you press the button, without paying several hundred for a replacement. She spent several minutes arguing with one of the managers, Alice, before demanding to speak with our general manager, Steve.

In the end, the managers made a deal with her, and she even got to bring the computer home with her (unlike most of our tech customers). Now, if only she could've gotten some sort of lesson to take home with her at the same time...
    -Adam
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Actually, AdamAnt316 recently became MY co-irker, not the other way around.

Congrats to him on the new job.

Anyway, it took only one brief look to see that liquid had clearly been spilled on this computer. Probably coffee. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with her. I had my own nightmares to deal with, so I steered clear for the most part. Still, had I been forced to talk to her, I would have pointed at the brown stains and told her "this is coffee, not glue."
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      Anyway, it took only one brief look to see that liquid had clearly been spilled on this computer. Probably coffee. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with her. I had my own nightmares to deal with, so I steered clear for the most part. Still, had I been forced to talk to her, I would have pointed at the brown stains and told her "this is coffee, not glue."
      Hmm, if it was crunching, I'd guess soda myself (crystalized sugar). Then again, you were there, not me. Don't you love when a customer denies what is obvious?
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
        Hmm, if it was crunching, I'd guess soda myself (crystalized sugar).
        Coffee with sugar?
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          Coffee with sugar?
          Yes Dave, some of us like coffee with our sugar.

Now, if you guys had any class, when she denied the liquid getting onto the switch, you should have made a big production of licking the switch (not really, but make her think you did) and confirm the coffee analysis.

Comment

Quoth MadRocketScientist
            Now, if you guys had any class, when she denied the liquid getting onto the switch, you should have made a big production of licking the switch (not really, but make her think you did) and confirm the coffee analysis.
            If I'd had any desire to lick the front panel of this thing, the disgusting smell of the rest of the case would've gotten rid of it right quick... Reeked of cigarette smoke, and who knows what else. Had a lovely sticky residue on the slide-down door over part of the front panel, too.

Aaaaaaanyhoo, my first thought on examining the mess was indeed cola or root beer, but I couldn't be sure, since the switch only got stuck momentarily, rather than constantly. It made one hell of a sickening crunching noise when pressed, that's for sure. Still surprised that it worked at all...
            -Adam
            Goofy music!
            Old tech junk!

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              Coffee with sugar?
              Like I said, I wasn't there. I'd need to smell it to confirm. Coffee stinks as it dries, soda normally doesn't. And it would take a hell of a lot of sugar to make it crunch. Like I said, I wasn't there. I'm just giving my unasked for professional opinion, like any good computer geek.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Did the customer have an un-neutered male cat maybe?

That may account for the liquid issue . . .
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Now, if only she could've gotten some sort of lesson to take home with her at the same time...
                  Switch it to European voltage before you send her home with it.
                  You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
                    If I'd had any desire to lick the front panel of this thing, the disgusting smell of the rest of the case would've gotten rid of it right quick... Reeked of cigarette smoke, and who knows what else. Had a lovely sticky residue on the slide-down door over part of the front panel, too.
                    -Adam
                    Ugghhh, I hated working on PCs that were like that. Dusty I can handle, but food/drink/smoke residue was always so gross.

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                      Oooooo! Diabolical. I love it!
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                        What, and give her another reason to bring it back in ahead of schedule?!
                        Goofy music!
                        Old tech junk!

Comment

Ahh, but that's a boom from which there is no recovery from.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                          X