Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your son's a computer guru yet doesn't even know how to read system requirements...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your son's a computer guru yet doesn't even know how to read system requirements...

So I'm doing some freelance work for a woman a few towns over. Nice lady, but a bit computer-illiterate.

My first task last week was to install Office 2007 that her son bought for her...XP needs to update first. Fine, or so I think. Post-install (three hours later--the service pack install alone took two), I come to find that this computer has less than 128 megs of RAM (Office requires at least 256) and a 32GB hard drive that's approximately 70% full...I wasn't even able to run a defrag or cleanup. No firewall or AV, I can't even get my toolkit scan to run due to the lack of memory.

The motherboard can handle 512MB max. Not optimal, but clearly the first issue that needs to be dealt with.

I explain what's going on, she approves the parts cost and work (two hours before I'm supposed to be there, luckily I ran out and picked up the RAM this morning on a hunch); then I get an email asking where I'm getting the parts (Micro Center, yes it's retail pricing but I only had three hours notice!) if I think there could be a virus.

It's possible (none of the symptoms although they could be masked by the memory issue), but given that the computer doesn't even meet the minimum memory requirements for Office that's the first thing that needs fixing.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor
Working...
X