My mom got a new laptop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom got a new laptop...

...and while I did suggest that she get the same brand as mine so it would be easier to troubleshoot, I do not want to become the sole caretaker. As in, I am trying to get her to learn at least basic things related to maintenance.

Since she rarely shuts her laptop down, I used to have scripts running on the old one that would automatically update her antivirus, firewall, etc...which she disabled because "it was annoying". OK, so you don't want me to make sure your device is safe...if you refuse to let me ensure security, I will charge you to clean up the inevitable (which may be beyond my skillset).

I wanted her to organize all her 'must-have' files on her old laptop so I could easily copy them over. That did not get done, she wants me to do it. I don't know what she considers important out of all the stuff that's cluttering up her desktop. I'm very tempted to just chuck every single thing into a "Mom" folder, dump it on the new computer and let her figure out the rest. ..but if I do that I'll just wind up sorting it out anyway. After this week I likely won't have the time or the inclination to do anything of the sort (I've been through this dance three times already and really do not want to do it anymore).

When her laptop arrived, I unpacked the shipping carton but not the laptop, I want her to set it up; I'll take care of any tricky bits, but how hard can setting up Win10 really be? It nearly sets itself up.

Part of my motivation in getting her a new laptop was so she'd stop using my two computers and messing with/turning off my security settings (she nearly got my laptop infected with some nasty malware thanks to clicking on a sketchy Google result).

I don't mind being the in-house support for the truly complicated stuff, but I'm a bit done with being expected to do literally everything for her technology-wise. She is fully capable of learning what she needs to.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-25-2021, 01:49 AM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor
Working...
X