PDA

View Full Version : Scolded for saying Happy Holidays

RammsteinGirl
12-21-2007, 02:40 AM
I got scolded by 2 customers yesterday for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Some old guy even said "You should say 'Merry Christmas,' you're a CHRISTIAN!" I bit my tongue, because I almost wanted to tell him I was Jewish (I'm not). :lol: How did he know I was Christian? Just because I'm a white American I must automatically be a Christian, I guess!

I'm just not going to say anything other than "Have a nice day." I'm not even going to acknowledge that it's the holiday season because you just cannot please people no matter what you do or say. This is why I can't stand working retail! Why the hell does it matter what you say to them as long as it's pleasant and you're doing your job correctly? Don't customers understand that we're stressed and flustered this time of year? Of course not, they have to hassle us about whether we're saying "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas," like we know them personally and really care whether they have a Happy Hanukkah/Christmas/Kwanzaa or whatever!

Kittish
12-21-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm tempted more and more to respond to holiday sentiments with "Bah, humbug!"

RammsteinGirl
12-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Totally. Working retail during the holidays just puts a huge damper on my Christmas. I know I shouldn't let it, but it does. :( Working at Kmart has broken my retail spirit. I really hope this is the last holiday season I have to work in retail. I'd much rather do waitressing or anything else.

blas
12-21-2007, 03:06 AM
You forgot Festivus!

I'm reporting you to your manager!

Just kidding!

Gurndigarn
12-21-2007, 03:40 AM
I got scolded by 2 customers yesterday for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Some old guy even said "You should say 'Merry Christmas,' you're a CHRISTIAN!"

"True, Ma'am, but I had no idea which set of holidays you celbrated." After all, her actions and attitude didn't say "christian".

smileyeagle1021
12-21-2007, 03:52 AM
I got scolded by 2 customers yesterday for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Some old guy even said "You should say 'Merry Christmas,' you're a CHRISTIAN!" I bit my tongue, because I almost wanted to tell him I was Jewish (I'm not). :lol: How did he know I was Christian? Just because I'm a white American I must automatically be a Christian, I guess!

I would of told him that my relation with my savior was none of his damned business and his relation with his savior was none of mine and that is why I don't imply what your's is...
no, I don't think I could survive in retail... thank God for call centers.

Misanthropical
12-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Thing like that are one of the many reasons I'm glad I don't deal with the public face to face. I love the call center.

I just wish everyone I talk to a nice night and only give a seasonal greeting if they say it first. :p

aurelemsrealm
12-21-2007, 05:03 AM
That's why I just leave it at "Have a good day," or something similarly generic. I've had a handful of customers say "Merry Christmas," which surprised me for a few seconds afterward. If they say something different like a holiday wish or "God Bless," I just graciously thank them and say it back to them.

I'm not real conversational with customers unless they are regulars I like, or seem interested in chatting. Otherwise, I do what I have to do, and let them go on their way. There have been instances in which someone complained that I was snubbing them or being unfriendly because I'm not so talkative unless someone seems interested in conversation, but most customers seem fine with it. I figure that as long as I'm not being rude or unprofessional, I'm not going to worry about what anyone thinks.

allniter
12-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Piss em off by telling em "you really fall for that story?? Goddamn I'm happy to be athiest."

Ttam
12-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Mmph. I still say "Merry Christmas" just because it's what I grew up with. It's habitual. I personally am not Christian (prefer "Agnostic"), but Christmas is more an event than a religious celebration these days.... Still, I'd probably say "Happy Holidays" if I remembered/cared.

theredbaron47
12-21-2007, 06:38 AM
I still wish people a Merry Christmas. My (Jewish) friend from high school and I had an agreement where we wished each other a happy respective holiday, but with other people, you never know. So I still wish them what I've been raised.

I'm tired, so probably not making too much sense now. Bottom line, I say Merry Christmas, if any seasonal greeting at all, and haven't pissed anyone off that way yet.

Yet.

Lady Heather
12-21-2007, 06:50 AM
There is a song my store plays (our Muzak doesn't give the artist just song title)
It has a female lead singer and is called "We Wish You A Happy ___"
" We wish you a merry christmass
We wish you a merry christmass
We wish you a merry christmass...
Unless you are Jewish!
Then we...
Wish you a happy Hanukkah
We wish you a happy Hanukkah
Unless you are Muslum!
Then we wish you a happy Ramadan..."

Repeat for Kwanzaa and Wiccan.
(last verse)
...Unless you are Athiest!
Then we
Wish you a happy (silence)
We wish you a happy (silence)
and a happy new year!!

I always like to be a wise ass if I can. Whenever anyone sneezes instead of "Bless You" I started saying: "May whatever Spirits, Deity, Figurehead, God, Goddess, or Patheon you worship Bless You":p

powerboy
12-21-2007, 08:44 AM
I always have said Merry Christmas.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-21-2007, 12:39 PM
This time of year, I always say "Have a nice day", just because it's the first and only thing that springs to mind.

Boozy
12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm still saying "Have a nice day" too. Its just so ingrained now. Changing my standard farewell just throws a kink into my whole routine. I don't like switching horses mid-race.

If a customer responds by saying, "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", I respond in kind.

greensinestro
12-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Any time I get a rude and nasty customer, I normally close my call with "It was a real pleasure speaking with you today" in my sickly, sweet voice. It makes them even more mad.

I think "Happy Holidays" is appropriate and who the hell cares if the person you say it to is a Scrooge or not? They should know they're in the minority of being happy, and there are more others out there who don't follow their example.

Jester
12-21-2007, 01:43 PM
"Happy Christmahanukwanzikah!"

Seems to shut people right up.

South Texan
12-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I got scolded by 2 customers yesterday for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."
"I'm sorry, sir, but the company requires me only to mention the generic hoiday rather than guessing whatever the customer might celebrate or observe.
"But since my attempt to be pleasant and wish you a happy holiday offends you, then I will simply state that I hope your holiday sucks. Bye Bye now."

Gravekeeper
12-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Try:
"I wish you holiday contentment within the boundaries of whichever invisible man and/or woman and/or metaphorical visual representation of divinity you believe in."

Personally I'll just go with "Happy Holidays" since Vancouver is extremely multicultural. You don't like it? Well too bad, despite what you think your religion is no more important then anyone else's. ;p

Though I don't think I'd be able to hold my tongue if someone rudely corrected me and told me flat out I was x religion and should say y.

tollbaby
12-21-2007, 02:38 PM
You should say 'Merry Christmas' because you're Christian???? I would have looked at him funny, and retorted, "No, I'm not, actually... and as such, I say 'Happy Holidays'" If he continued being snotty, I'd have said 'Take it or leave it' ;)

But then, I get away with that sort of crap.

Record Store Tough Guy
12-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Wish them a joyous Winter Holiday of their choice. Or tell them to have a happy Memorial Day. Or Arbor Day. Or any holiday that's nowhere near coming up. Then, when they tell you Christmas is the one approaching, act surprised, like you forgot all about it, then start panicking because you haven't chosen the perfect ram to sacrifice to Santa Claus.

Gawdzillers
12-21-2007, 03:45 PM

What's the Wiccan holiday called?

FuzzyKitten99
12-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Piss em off by telling em "you really fall for that story?? Goddamn I'm happy to be athiest."

I consider myself Christian, but I snorted my coffee when I read that! :roll:
I guess that is something I could see myself saying just to mess with people.

Gabrielle Proctor
12-21-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm tempted more and more to respond to holiday sentiments with "Bah, humbug!"
LOL

I say "Happy Holidays" because a lot of holidays go on during this time, not just Christmas. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious thread, but some people just need to get over themselves about the whole religion thing. People say "Merry Christmas" to me and even though I'm an Atheist, I don't get offended. But I have no problems telling someone what I believe if they want to scold me for generalizing their favorite holiday.

Christmas started out as a pagan holiday anyway, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is the "togetherness" of the season. Why can't we be like this all year?

Gabrielle Proctor
12-21-2007, 04:18 PM

I think it's winter solstice...or yule...I dunno. I should ask Skandranon, she would know...

IHateStupidCustomers
12-21-2007, 04:55 PM
It's gotten to the point where you get yelled at no matter what you say, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, whatever.

I just quit saying anymore more than "have a nice day/evening/weekend" this year.

Haven't got yelled at once (for a greeting/goodbye, anyway). Kinda nice...

ImadeYouACookie
12-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Im so glad we don't have that issue here.. Christmas in Danish is called "jul", just like "yule" from the pagan holiday.. and as someone else mentioned, a lot of people don't really celebrate Christmas in the Christian sense anymore, just as a family holiday.

So I wish all my customers a "ględelig jul", and not even the Islamic immigrants seem to care :-)

Btw... Huzzah for prezzies!! :D

smileyeagle1021
12-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I think it's winter solstice...or yule...I dunno. I should ask Skandranon, she would know...

according to google the wiccan winter holiday is known as both winter solstice and yule...

AnqeiicDemise
12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm tempted to hang up the phone with this little gem:

Have a very merry Christmahannikwanzika!

Then again, everytime someone tells me to have a 'very blessed day' I feel like answering with "And may the gods be with you."

AnqeiicDemise
12-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Either will do, actually.

And I'm glad that this year, we have a fireplace.

I am so burning a yule log. :angel:

Lace Neil Singer
12-21-2007, 06:47 PM
You forgot Festivus!

I'm reporting you to your manager!

Just kidding!

And you forgot Winterval! I'm reporting you! :lol:

I always say either "Happy Christmas" or "Merry Christmas" cuz that's what I grew up with; my mother's Christian and my father's Jewish, but we always celebrated Christmas. I was raised as a Christian, but I'm an atheist; however, I see Christmas as a secular family occasion and celebrate in that way. If someone wishes me "Merry Christmas and God bless" I just smile and say "Same to you." There's no point in getting your knickers in a knot over such trivial things as what belief system you have.

Amethyst Hunter
12-21-2007, 06:52 PM
some people just need to get over themselves about the whole religion thing...What matters is the "togetherness" of the season.

Amen. Christmas Nazis piss me off. Dude, you're not persecuted just because somebody says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, so GTF over yourself. Yes, there are Christians elsewhere around the world who are genuinely persecuted because of their beliefs. But in this country (USA) where the dominant religion is overwhelmingly Judeo-Christian and anything else is looked at with an odd eye? Nuh-uh. Not happening. So have a nice warm steaming cup of STFUnog.

And Happy Holidaze. :devil:

Hobgoblin
12-21-2007, 07:23 PM
"Happy Christmahanukwanzikah!"

But Cha-wanza-mas is so much shorter!

Tria
12-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Be careful, I try to bring facts into the holidays and got disowned by my lovely(and I use that term loosely) mother(Very loose, almost gappy). But it's okay, After knitting hats last Christmas, she told me that "handmaking gifts was cute when you were five, try to do better next year". I admit it's a couple bucks for yarn, she forgets that it's also several hours of knitting and aggravating what is probably CTS. All good, the woman's toxic, and my granny appreciates the scarf I made her.

Tria
12-21-2007, 11:04 PM

I'm not Skandragon, but either works.

Crazeyal
12-21-2007, 11:16 PM
HAPPY AGNOSTICA!!! (http://www.agnostica.com/)

SuperB
12-22-2007, 01:15 AM
It's really more about what people perceive as being silenced than anything else. If Christians were pushing for a ban on Hannukah decor/greetings/songs or anything related to Kwanzaa (not a religious holiday I realize) during their holidays the fecal matter would have hit the fan in ways it never has before. People just don't see much beyond their own point of view anymore I'm afraid but the silencing is going on.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59171

How many instances are there of Christians demanding that Hannukah decor be removed or greetings be silenced? Short of demanding equal treatment you won't find similar numbers. I don't celebrate Hannukah or Kwanzza but I'd never tell someone who does that they should be silent about their holidays. When my kids asked about Hannukah or what a menorah is I explained it to them with full respect for those who celebrate it. I'd like to see Christmas treated the same but I'm not holding my breath.

That said, I wish these customers would realize that it's not the employees that hand down these rules about greetings during the holidays.

starla671
12-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Totally. Working retail during the holidays just puts a huge damper on my Christmas. I know I shouldn't let it, but it does. :( Working at Kmart has broken my retail spirit. I really hope this is the last holiday season I have to work in retail. I'd much rather do waitressing or anything else.

I don't know about that! I've gotten plenty of cheap tipping sc's this year!:cry:

queenbb
12-22-2007, 06:39 PM
i believe that there is some sort of movement to change the christmahanzakuanica (or how ever you spell it) to chiristmachanayulekuanzivus (to include yule and festivus) me i like it my self.

i mentioned in the thread, i lend in to my powers of observation to this type of thing, if they are wearing something religous specific then i wish them what ever holiday that it relates too. i do this with all kinds of things, most people just look at me as if i were psychic or something i joke with them that i am.

so far this year no one has scolded me for saying happy holidays to those who are not wearing religous specific items. but i do get quite a few who will return with merry christmas.

i dont let it bother me at all, and if they were to get on my case about it, i would say well how am i to know what you celebrate.

Jester
12-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I am often amused by people who see me saying "Merry Christmas" (if that's what I feel like saying at that moment) and blurt out, "But you don't celebrate that.....you're JOOOO-ush."

*sigh*

I am descended from Jews and have a Jewish family, but my parents were atheists and I was not really raised in the religion. So don't assume that you know what I do or don't celebrate. My family occasionally gathers to exchange presents, and we call it Christmas, but there is absolutely zero religious aspect to it, as my sisters, mom and I are all "Jewish"--more importantly non-Christians--and my stepbrother, his wife, stepfather, and lil sis's husband are all "Christians" in name only....they could give a hooey.

So people, please, stop telling ME what *I* celebrate.

Reminds me of a few months ago when I showed up to work at the Waterfront Bar, and the Doctor looked at me in surprise.

DOCTOR: "Jester, what are you doing here?"
JESTER: "Um, working dude."
DOCTOR: "Isn't this your holiday?"
JESTER: "What holiday? What are you talking about?"
DOCTOR: "Isn't it Passover?"
JESTER: "I haven't the foggiest freakin' clue. Is it?"
DOCTOR: "I think so."
JESTER: "Well, doesn't affect me, really. But that DOES remind me...I need some breakfast."
DOCTOR: "What are you going to have?"
JESTER: "In honor of the holiday, I think I'll have a nice double order of BACON!"
DOCTOR: :eek:

How's THAT for Jewish? :devil:

Never assume, kids. Never assume.

Saydrah
12-22-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm of Jewish heritage on my father's side, and we kept kosher in my parents' home, not because he was really religious but because that's how he grew up and he felt it was more sanitary.

Results?

I love bacon and eat it at any chance I get.

Becks
12-23-2007, 05:04 PM
There is a song my store plays (our Muzak doesn't give the artist just song title)
It has a female lead singer and is called "We Wish You A Happy ___"
" We wish you a merry christmass
We wish you a merry christmass
We wish you a merry christmass...
Unless you are Jewish!
Then we...
Wish you a happy Hanukkah
Unless you are Muslum!
Then we wish you a happy Ramadan..."

I think I would like to hear that song.

Phone Jockey
12-23-2007, 07:07 PM
My company sent out generic HAPPY HOLIDAYS e-mails to our customers & I had about 10 customers e-mail me & tell me they were offended by it. WHATEVER. I work for a large company & *gasp* not all of our customers are christian. WHAT LOSERS.

dizzy_starshine
12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
This year I just left it to the customers to say first then I'd reply with 'and to yourself' No problems so far but it's normally christmas eve when it all blows up.

BookstoreEscapee
12-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Unless the customer was wearing/buying something clearly related to Christmas, or said Merry Christmas first, I generally just stuck with "Have a nice day/night/weekend"...just like I would say every other day of the year.

SuperB
12-23-2007, 10:03 PM
My company sent out generic HAPPY HOLIDAYS e-mails to our customers & I had about 10 customers e-mail me & tell me they were offended by it. WHATEVER. I work for a large company & *gasp* not all of our customers are christian. WHAT LOSERS.

My sentiments exactly, except it's of anyone so "offended" by the words "Merry Christmas" that companies are demanding the words never be spoken aloud.

TwoScoopsSciath
12-23-2007, 10:22 PM
After knitting hats last Christmas, she told me that "handmaking gifts was cute when you were five, try to do better next year".

:eek: Oh, no she didn't!

machinest
12-24-2007, 12:25 AM
About two weeks ago I was in a gift shop making a purchase after being rung up the cashier said "enjoy your holiday sir",at whitch the lady behind me snaped "[B]its christmas young lady" . I turned around showed the lady the package of hannuka candles I had just purchased and said "not for me it is not".

Broomjockey
12-24-2007, 05:07 AM
I can't believe that you've all left out Wintereenmas! *cries* You're all horrible people!

:angel:

Closest thing to a holiday for me around now is the solstice. Otherwise my next official one isn't until February.

Kirachan
12-24-2007, 05:40 AM
<3 wintereenmas

cattaur
12-24-2007, 05:53 AM
My partner & I were out doing Christmas shopping yesterday (after he had done some deliveries. He was wearing the uniform (Aloha) shirt and a Santa hat.) We were walking through K-mart when a lady approached him and asked if he worked there. Obviously, he said no.
Her response, "Then you should take off that hat!" and kept walking...

We both just stared after her...

(and no, we didn't see any of the actual workers with Santa hats on.)
I feel sorry for anyone she dealt with.

When I was working in retail (and more specifically in the stores) I would say "Happy Holidays" around this time of year. (I am personally NeoPagan) Never had any bad comments to it. It seems to me that this country is getting more and more polarized over the past few years. :(

Lady Heather
12-24-2007, 07:52 AM

My Boss is Wiccan and has been saying "...and have a great Yule-Time!" :p
At some point I started saying "Buddha Bless!" in response. We started keeping track of responses. Most customers are so on auto pilot they respond "You too."
Only 5 customers have said "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" in the past 3 days. :confused: No one's gotten snippy but only 5 people?

aurelemsrealm
12-24-2007, 08:22 AM
I figure it like this, if I have to deal with a bunch of jerks, it's not much of a holiday. My holidays come when I have days off. I'll celebrate my own holiday in my own way. I don't need to be told what I already know. As I told one of my coworkers the other day when we had a disagreement, "Your opinion has been summarily noted and disregarded. Thank you!"

So far, customers have only said, "Merry Christmas," as the only holiday greeting/farewell. So, I just thank them and say it back if they bother. My theory is that it's just words.

Snowbird
12-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Be careful, I try to bring facts into the holidays and got disowned by my lovely(and I use that term loosely) mother(Very loose, almost gappy). But it's okay, After knitting hats last Christmas, she told me that "handmaking gifts was cute when you were five, try to do better next year".

Tria, for next year's holiday, why not try donating money to a charitable organization in your mothers name as her present? If she is ungrateful, you can rest assured that the charity won't be. :)

As for being scolded for saying happy holidays, having worked in a religious store for numerous years, I was reprimanded by customers, sucky or not, for using that phrase and much, much more.

retaildrone
12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
"But since my attempt to be pleasant and wish you a happy holiday offends you, then I will simply state that I hope your holiday sucks. Bye Bye now."

I like the way you think. I have often thought the same thing.

"Me wishing you well offends you?? Then piss off and die!"