PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to kill him. (Animal Lovers be warned).

Plaidman
04-02-2008, 07:07 PM
So last week my friend's BF dumped him. My friend claimed his BF said that he changed too much. I really didn't noticed a difference, but i known him for so long, I might have gotten just used to him.

So, as a sign of good faith, and the fact he used to have cats before he moved to a place where he couldn't have pets, we sorta, kinda snuck in my cat. My little kitty saved me two years ago. I figured she could save him too.

So I got her back today. There is a NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE in her personaty.

Before, I would shadowbox with her. (Act like I'm trying to punch her). Where she would look confused, then proceed to try to smell my fists.

She use to love chasing our fingers through the couch cushions.

She also loved to have her paws held, where she would gently wrap her claws around your finger and just sleep.

So my friend drops her off.

I try to shadowbox her. SHE RUNS. She won't even come out for her treat. I let her be for a moment, thinking it was at first because she hasn't been home for a week. She does come out, but just stares at me. She lets me come to her. I try to hold her paw. SHE BITES me. She has never bitten anyone in two years! She then runs and hides. She comes out again. I try to pet her, she growls, but lets me. She lets out a yelp.

That's it. I waited a few more minutes to calm down. Then called my friend. And proceeded to scream. Alot. What the HELL did he do to my cat.

He lied to me. He said someone broke into his apartment, and then she got out. He tried to find her, but couldn't for a day. He then saw his neighbor WALKING her. He convinced him he was the owner. That guy must have hit her.

Now, I did yell at him. What did he do. But I never did say anything about hit. Then he said that.

I told him he just wasted 10 years of friendship.

He then said it was an accident, and he was just pissed off.

I told him I'm taking her to a vet, and I'm going to do what I can to get whatever charges I can against him.

He hung up.

I have no idea what I can do. From what I see, she doesn't have brusises, but she does cry when her back is petted. I already called up my vet, and got a check up. But its not til tomorrow morning, which is the earliest they can do for somet F up reason, even if she might have been beaten.

I have no idea if I ever going to get Thelma back to her normal self. :(. I don't even KNOW if I can get charges against him. No real proof so far. And as utterly, UTTERLY pissed off I am at him. I'm not even sure I can out of one last bit of respect for him and his friendship.

powerboy
04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I am soooo sorry to hear about your cat. And I will join you in beating him, if you want.

strawbabies
04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
And I will join you in beating him, if you want.

Count me in too.

I'm hoping that once kitty stops hurting physically, she'll realize you'd never hurt her, and go back to being herself.

crazylegs
04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Your cat will realise that you are the *nice one* and eventually trust you again, but anyone else might have a hard time.

It will take a while though, maybe even months.

iradney
04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
IF he was beating her, and there's bruises, they take a while to go away. The vet may yet find something. And if he does, make sure you press charges. Someone that will do that to a defenceless animal is normally the kind of person that will do the same to children and women.

Plus, for her personality to change after one week...jeepers!

*HUGS* for your kitty :(

Saydrah
04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
1. See vet. Immediately. Ask if she can confirm that your cat's injuries are likely the result of being struck by a human. If so, get it in writing.

2. Buy Feliway. It costs $50, but it will help. Get the wall dispenser kind that works like plug in air freshener.

3. Love kitty. But don't touch kitty. She needs her space. She will come to you when she's ready to.

4. Call police and explain your pet has been abused and your friend admits to it.

5. If they don't bring charges, take friend to civil court for vet costs.

RecoveringKinkoid
04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Part of it might be that your cat was really stressed out from being put into an unfamiliar place all week. You can't explain to a cat why they are being sent off to a strange place with a strange person. She was probably kind of freaked out all week.

My cat, who was strictly a housecat, fell out of a (1st story) window and spent the night outside. Terrified. I won't bore you with the gory details, but suffice it to say she was SO freaked out that my rescuing her and getting her back inside cost me about 200 bucks down at the doc in the box to get myself taped back together. No lie. She was a big, powerful cat and had gone pretty much feral in the 12 hourse she spent under my outbuilding. She bit me, clawed and bloodied me, and broke off some claws in my forearm. Good times.

This from her spending a night alone in an unfamiliar place.

I don't know if your friend abused her or not, but he may not have. She might be traumatized by the week she spent away from you in a strange place. :(

I don't mean to put guilt on you, but it's something to consider.

kibbles
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
ITA with RecoveringKinkoid, I know you want to protect your kitty; but, I don't think it's fair to automatically blame your friend and talk about bringing charges when there really is no proof.

kibbles
04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
4. Call police and explain your pet has been abused and your friend admits to it.

But that would be a lie, the friend has not admitted to that.

Saydrah
04-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I told him he just wasted 10 years of friendship.

I guess I am interpreting that line as him saying he did hit her?

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-02-2008, 11:30 PM
But that would be a lie, the friend has not admitted to that.

Oops, beaten to it. But to quote again:

Which implies to me the friend decided to take out some frustrations on the cat.

Evil Queen
04-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Plaidman, even I'd want to cause this "Friend" of yours pain, since he deemed it worthy to take out his frustrations on a helpless animal! Why the hell would he (would anyone for that matter) think it would be okay to beat an animal?! Particularly one as small as a cat, he could have killed her.

I'd like to get my hands on your "friend" so he can find out what it's like to be beaten up for no good reason!

kibbles
04-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I took it to mean that it was an accident that he let her out. JMO of course.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Irv, even I'd want to cause this "Friend" of yours pain, since he deemed it worthy to take out his frustrations on a helpless animal! Why the hell would he (would anyone for that matter) think it would be okay to beat an animal?! Particularly one as small as a cat, he could have killed her.

I'd like to get my hands on your "friend" so he can find out what it's like to be beaten up for no good reason!

Whoa whoa WHOA! I don't even have a cat! Unless you count....never mind. Evil Irv escaped from his cage again.

Plaidman's the one who began the thread

Evil Queen
04-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Sorry! My mistake; I was reading multiple posts (Another Irv on another forum) and got names turned around, I'm sorry!

Edited to correct the error.

RetailWorkhorse
04-03-2008, 12:44 AM

...are you positive without a doubt that THAT is your cat? Because it sounds to me like it's a completely different animal.

But then again, I have no clue as to what kind of trauma a kitty can go through and see a personality change (well, I have some idea, but have never witnessed it).

Plaidman
04-03-2008, 02:54 AM
No its her, and she's been doing better these past few hours. Far less jumpy and flidgy. She slept on the floor next to me. She didn't want to sit in bed for little bit. When I woke up, she was at the foot of my bed.

Thank god for that. I don't understand anything about cats minds, my /friend/ less. He tried to call a few times and left messages. I ahven't check them. I just wanna get my kitty to the vet asap tomorrow.

myswtghst
04-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Take kitty to the vet, and make sure it appears kitty has been struck. Abuse charges are something serious to level against a friend, and it is possible that if you were upset when confronting said friend, they said things they didn't mean. Granted, that could go either way (admitting to something that didn't happen, not admitting what did), but it's best to be sure.

I have to agree with RK - my little girls knocked down the screen door while I was out, and Franzia only got as far as the patio below my balcony - she tore my arms open and dug right in while I carried her back upstairs, and was spooked all day - after a few hours outside. Cats (and domesticated animals in general) can get goofy when their circumstances change - as has been said, they're not people. When my parents dog gets boarded for a week while we're on vacation, she comes home hoarse from barking so much. And my cats, after 10 days boarding at the vet were complete bitches to me for days on end when they got home.

So make sure that it isn't just the cat responding to being put in a strange situation, and feeling neglected before you go too hog wild or involve the police. Talk to the vet, make sure kitty is ok, and maybe try to have a calm conversation with the friend. Let kitty work up to normal-ish behavior on her own time, and she'll be fine. Good luck!

Becks
04-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Poor kittie.

Seriously, let me know when the asskicking will occur. I'll find a way to be there. Unless it's on a Sunday. I don't give up time and a half for a lot of things.

iviles
04-03-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm so sorry!!!!!! All I can say is love your kitty and give her time. Animals have huge hearts and with time she may get over what happened. Let us know what happened ok

Amethyst Hunter
04-03-2008, 03:51 AM
If indeed it does turn out that abuse is involved (and I'm willing to bet good money it is, based on some of the descriptions), I'll be more than happy to join the Asskicking Bandwagon. I know where there's a chainsaw and several large, blunt objects...

My boys send their best wishes to your furry friend. :(

Andara Bledin
04-03-2008, 04:20 AM
... I'll hold him down....

I've had more than one formerly-abused shelter cat, and it's something that's really obvious if you know the signs.

The biting I can put down to being pissed about being shipped off for a week. But if it was in response specifically to reaching for a paw, then it's a defensive maneuver.

The running from a raised hand means the cat has been hit at least once. More than likely more than once. They crying when touched in a specific place means physical damage of some kind. This is not in question. Cat's are small predators, and small predators don't show weakness if they have any way to avoid it.

The whole "found a neighbor walking the cat" is complete and utter bullshit.

*grrrr* There is nothing that gets my blood boiling like animal abuse....

^-.-^

powerboy
04-03-2008, 06:02 AM
I guess I am interpreting that line as him saying he did hit her?

That is how I took it also.

Evil Queen
04-04-2008, 02:06 AM
So Plaidman, how'd the visit to the vet go?

As concerned furry-people parents, we would like to know.

Andara Bledin
04-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Bump for news on kitteh health.

... really hoping Plaidman isn't in jail for assaulting an animal abusing former friend...

^-.-^

Evil Queen
04-05-2008, 03:19 AM
... really hoping Plaidman isn't in jail for assaulting an animal abusing former friend...

Oh man, Andara, that would really suck hardcore. :(

Plaidman
04-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Not in jail, just working, going to vet, going to doctor for myself, etc. etc.

Sorry for not posting sooner. Got a full checkup. (Even bloodwork, just in case, even though I had her check before she went).

NOTHING is wrong with her. Hell, today, and yesterday, she was for the MOST part normal, even jumping on me to sleep on my stomach, and attempting to pull my bb bullets so I can shoot them at the ceiling for her to chase.

I talked to the vet, and she said alot of stuff I really didn't understand, but like some people said, she might have been just pissed off by the radical differences. Had she been abused, another major sign would have been urinaation. (Which I didn't know. She always uswed her box). So she wasn't peeing anywhere, and she thinks it might take a week, might take a month, but it really doesn't seem like any phyiscial damage was done to her. I told her about me petting her, and her meowing strangly. I might have done it too roughly for her taste, (I doubt I did, but I was semi confused, and missing her, I don't think I did it too rough)

As for my friend. Now that I calmed down considerbly, and after the check up, I was asking what the hell he meant by his lies. Seeing my cat get out, or that it was an accident. He said he was somewhat confused himself, more depressed about his bf, and then only having her for a week. (Which we made clear. I didn't wanna lose her in case his piece of crap apartment manager freaks out). As for the missing cat. he really had no idea why he said that, and he was sorry. ANd though it sounds strange, I belive him. He's one of my best friends, and he tells tall tales waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much. I won't share them, but I'll tell you, they are very. very. strange. I made him promised. Don't lie about my cat. I love my cat. My cat is my savior. She dugged me out of a hole that I never thought I could get out.

I also learned alot. I never, ever thought cats could EVER do such a radical difference in personities for just going to place to another!

Evil Queen
04-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Not in jail <snipp>This was the important part. THANK DOG! *pounce and pets Plaidman* You had us worried.

My <antique> cat would have personality changes whenever the family moved, which we did a lot but after the fifth or sixth move she got used to it and considered it a normal process.

Hopefully your cat will be back to her (his?) normal self.

Hey, Andara, we don't have to get a Donation Fund to bail Plaidman outta jail with anymore! :p

XCashier
04-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm glad your cat is okay, Plaidman. I don't blame you for being worried, but cats are odd little creatures and they do things that totally baffle us humans. You did the right thing in talking to your vet and getting her checked over.

Andara Bledin
04-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear that your cat is ok, you're not in jail, and your friend probably didn't do anything at all other than tell some really bizarre lies for no particular reason.

I've never had a cat act like that from a change in environment, but then, my family has had cats forever, and we've always given them a few days of quiet time for any move, so that my have been it.

As for the vet commenting about peeing, cats will often pee and crap in places outside the norm when they're irritated about something. If a cat ever starts peeing in strange places and you haven't had some change in the environment (even moving furniture can trigger it in a high strung cat), then it's a good idea to go in for a checkup as it will sometimes indicate a health issue.

As for the friend, it sounds like the lying may be a pathological response to avoiding conflict. I'm not a psychotherapist, tho, so I don't really know what's up with that.

^-.-^

BookstoreEscapee
04-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Glad to hear she's OK and getting back to normal. She was probably just pissed at you.

I'm curious to see how my cats will be when my parents go away for 4 days. I'll be taking care of them and they won't be leaving the house, but their usual people will be gone. We'll see...