PDA

View Full Version : my first religious nuts

AKWalMartCartGuy
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
had someone come up looking for a coworker, who had been working a different shift from me, so I hadn't met him yet, and he wasn't there, then they started asking weird questions, "is this your first job" "how old are you", but what are they going to do with that information? so i told them, then the religious shit

OW: old woman
YW:young woman
me::devil:

OW:do you have a church you go to?
me:my parents do(doesn't that hint that religion has already been presented to me, and I don't agree with it?)
OW:why not?
me:*politely, but I guess I'm a little blunt*because I don't believe in God
OW:well, blah blah blah, I wasn't really listening
me:*politely*I really don't want to talk about that right now
OW: ok
YW:keeps talking, I wasn't listening
me:*firmly*I said I don't want to talk about that, I have to get back to work *walks away*

how many times can you hint that you don't want to hear it, then say straight up that you don't want to talk about it, before they give up? that question is like "how many licks does it take to get to the middle of a tootsie pop", I don't have time to find out :lol:

Samaliel
05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Sadly, the fastest way to get them to move on, they will find offensive, like saying you worship Satan, or that you don't care about their zombie-god on a stick. Which could get you into trouble with your manager.

edible_hat
05-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Sadly, the fastest way to get them to move on, they will find offensive, like saying you worship Satan

Even more offensive: tell them you're Catholic. For some reason Catholics seem to be considered worse than Satanists to the extreme must-covert-everyone crowd.

Ree
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Oh yay...another 'religious nut' thread. These things generally end up with a mod warning, so I will head it off before that happens.

As always, stick to the topic of people pushing religion on you in the workplace and refrain from any comments on the character of the people, the hypocrisy of Christians, the validity of any particular religion, or any other off topic areas one may be tempted to stray.

AKWalMartCartGuy
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't want to give them anything to tell my manager, but I may use the satan worshipper or catholic lines. if I wanted to get in trouble I would have made perverted comments, like asking how committed to their cause they were in a pervy tone, while looking them up and down and seeing where that went

friendofjimmyk
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
, like asking how committed to their cause they were in a pervy tone, while looking them up and down and seeing where that went

Uh...be careful what you wish for! Just kidding.

I just had this mental image of someone who was REALLY committed to their cause giving you a go in the name of the Lord! :lol:

Jacen
05-27-2008, 12:26 PM
like saying you worship Satan, .

But I DO worship Satan!

Okay, no I don't but I just felt like saying that:devil:

Crazeyal
05-27-2008, 12:53 PM
But I DO worship Satan!

Geez.. groupies..http://www.devilspanties.com/forums/images/smilies/223.gif

Bramblerose
05-27-2008, 01:12 PM
how many times can you hint that you don't want to hear it, then say straight up that you don't want to talk about it, before they give up? that question is like "how many licks does it take to get to the middle of a tootsie pop", I don't have time to find out :lol:

I always go with "I'm happy with my religion." Right now I am lying in wait for my next "Are you saved? Much as I like teh save point answer someone here uses, I am ready with "Yes. 33 AD" and see if they get it.

friendofjimmyk
05-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I am ready with "Yes. 33 AD" and see if they get it.

I don't get it.

Samaliel
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I get the obvious referrence to the year in which Jesus-Christ is assumed to have died, but I don't get how this is a syntactically appropriate answer to the question "Are you saved ?". Obviously, I don't speak English as well as I would like to think I do...

Raieth
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I always go with "I'm happy with my religion." Right now I am lying in wait for my next "Are you saved? Much as I like teh save point answer someone here uses, I am ready with "Yes. 33 AD" and see if they get it.

Man I love Chrono Trigger.

Snowbird
05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I think I've mentioned this response before in a similar thread but as I believe it still holds weight, here it goes. If someone begins to pester you with questions of a religious nature, whichever that religion might be, simply reply:

"I'm sorry but I am not permitted to discuss this topic while working. Is there anything else about your purchase that I can help you with?"

It's polite, it's non-confrontational and if it doesn't stop them in their tracks, it can be -peat and repeated until they figure it out or you see a customer that Does need help and can rightfully excuse yourself.

I used to work for a religious store and I still had to use this phrase. It works. :angel:

BaristaTrav
05-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Even more offensive: tell them you're Catholic. For some reason Catholics seem to be considered worse than Satanists to the extreme must-covert-everyone crowd.

so spoketh the Reverand Hagee (and John McCain's good buddy until last week)..

marasbaras
05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Religium Nuttius: Part of the Veritas Absolutus (commonly known as the Knows The Truth SC) family of SCs. Very similar to other truth-knowing SCs except that instead of knowing that this item is on sale this week and not next ... Religium Nuttius knows the truth about the Universe and the Spirit Realm.

Religium Nuttius comes in many wide-ranging sub-families. Each sub-family claims special knowledge of and access to The Truth. Some use different vocabularies than others about The Truth.

Religium Nuttius differs from the average Veritas Absolutus in that they are usually actually concerned about your Immortal Soul. They Know you have one and want to make sure that you take care of it according to the wishes of their sub-family.

Defense

Often one can escape the clutches of Religium Nuttius by claiming you have sold or contracted out your Immortal Soul to less-than-desirable extra-planar beings. It helps if you wear items which depect said extra-planar beings or at least pierce yourself in uncomfortable and prominent locations.

Should the implication that you have willingly given up your Immortal Soul to rather unpleasant beings not work, you can escalate your defese to say that you actively and willing work for and pay homage to one most devious being. If you do not believe in extra-planar beings, just think about your immediate supervisor while speaking. In 99% of cases studied, immediate supervisors have been found to be excellent stand-ins for soul-contracting beings from another realm.

Religium Nuttius are immune to any claim that you do not have an Immortal Soul for they Know that you do.

Warning

Whatever you do, do not give personal information to Religium Nuttius. Unlike other members of Veritas Absolutus, they are concerned about you and your Immortal Soul and not about a deal you can make for them based upon The Truth which They Know. Religium Nuttius may try to contact you away from work in an attempt to care for your Immortal Soul. Should they have your personal information, you are not safe from them once they are checked out and driving away (as you are with most other Veritas Absolutus).

Samaliel
05-27-2008, 01:59 PM
"I already sold my Immortal Soul. For a lifetime XBox Live! subscription, a XBox 360, a T3 connection and a copy of Halo 3."

freaktard
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Sounds like a sweet deal! Can I get in on that?

Apathy
05-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Happened to a friend of mine, B:

*B helps take some furniture to a woman's car, and loads it in*
B: There you are ma'am.
Woman: Thank you, young man. You've been very nice and helpful. You know, I'll just bet you're a Christian, aren't you?
B (who is not a Christian): Yep.
Woman: I just knew it! Thank you!

I mean, come on, lady. There are nice people that aren't religious. I know it seems foreign to you, but it's totally possible.

marasbaras
05-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Back when non-travellers were allowed in the airport concourses, I'd tell the various missionaries that I was a Satanist. Christian, Mormon, Hare Krishna, didn't care who ... although, I did take the Hare Krishnas little cakes, they were yummy.

Samaliel
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a sweet deal! Can I get in on that?
Of course, just call 1-666-LUCIFER and say "Damnation".

South Texan
05-27-2008, 03:17 PM
"I'm sorry but I am not permitted to discuss this topic while working. Is there anything else about your purchase that I can help you with?"
PERFECT RESPONSE!

I never have understood why people on this board become so worked up over anyone wanting to share a religious belief. It is not as if the religious person's motives are evil. The person is trying to share with you something that person has found that he/she feels is good and would be good for you as well. What is so wrong with that? I get the feeling there may be a little guilt behind the fury and bravado given as replies to these people.

If you do not wish to discuss or hear whatever the person has to say, simply say a polite "No Thank You," "I do not discuss my religious beliefs," "I am fine, thank you," "I am not permitted to have such a discussion on the job" etc. and be done with it. If some pamphlet is thrust into your hand, you can always throw it away when the person leaves if you do not want to look at it.

If the person persists in trying to speak with you, state a firm, "As I just said, I cannot/do not wish to discuss this, now what else can I do for you?" The person may look hurt, but will get the point that you mean what you are saying.

Kyree
05-27-2008, 03:39 PM
If you do not wish to discuss or hear whatever the person has to say, simply say a polite "No Thank You," "I do not discuss my religious beliefs," "I am fine, thank you," "I am not permitted to have such a discussion on the job" etc. and be done with it. If some pamphlet is thrust into your hand, you can always throw it away when the person leaves if you do not want to look at it.

If the person persists in trying to speak with you, state a firm, "As I just said, I cannot/do not wish to discuss this, now what else can I do for you?" The person may look hurt, but will get the point that you mean what you are saying.

The reason people get so worked up about it is, at least in my personal experience, they don't respond to politeness. The ones I have dealt with will completely ignore "No, thank you"s and "I don't discuss my religious beliefs"s. I say I can't discuss it because I'm at work, I get the answer "This is more important then your job, you have to listen to me and be saved." And they also try to touch or grab me by the arm.

That's why I get worked up about them. I've never had one of them come up to me and be polite, or respectful of me. :(

Samaliel
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
The reason most of us get so worked up about people trying to share religious beliefs is because there are appropriate places to do so and one's workplace isn't such a place. Moreover, most such people won't take the hint that their sharing of religious beliefs is not welcome. Short of telling them to piss off, some will insist in sharing whatever they believe, no matter how many times you tell them that you are NOT interested.

However, some will get the hint the first time and some will even have the decency not to bother. But we will always remember of those who annoyed the hell out of you, because they were a nuisance.

South Texan
05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I say I can't discuss it because I'm at work, I get the answer "This is more important then your job, you have to listen to me and be saved." And they also try to touch or grab me by the arm.
If the person does that, then they have gone too far and a ruder response is merited. That person obviously does not understand that a captive audience is not going to respond favorably to whatever the person has to offer. If they are Christian, then they have not learned from the examples shown by Jesus in the first four books of the New Testament for how to get people to listen.

My post was in response to the original post that labeled the two women as "religious nuts" simply because they wanted to talk about their beliefs. Note that the older woman backed away when AKWalMartCartGuy told her he did not want to talk with her, and the younger woman stopped when he got firmer. I do not understand why those two were called "nuts" and the story put here for them to be laughed at. What did those two do that was so wrong?

kiokushitaka
05-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have called them religious nuts. These two seem rather tame compared to the nutters I've had to deal with.

BlaqueKatt
05-27-2008, 04:32 PM
But I DO worship Satan!

well he is an ok hockey player (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=666) but worship.... that's going a bit far :lol:

Rapscallion
05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
so spoketh the Reverand Hagee (and John McCain's good buddy until last week)..

You know, by now a moderator has been able to post and mention that many areas of religious threads end up with them closed ... hey, look, Ree did just that!

The above is risking bringing politics (I think) into the mix as well. Please, closed threads are embarrassing.

Rpascallion

Gravekeeper
05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
You know, by now a moderator has been able to post and mention that many areas of religious threads end up with them closed ... hey, look, Ree did just that!

He's right, religious threads never end well no matter how innocent or benign they start. -.-

marasbaras
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
If the person does that, then they have gone too far and a ruder response is merited. That person obviously does not understand that a captive audience is not going to respond favorably to whatever the person has to offer.

That's the whole point. Most of the people here are a captive audience while at work. And, they are definitely not permitted to give ruder responses. A rude response can get people written up and potentially fired.

As such, I believe the ladies in the OP are way out-of-line. They have put the cashier in a horrible position.

friendofjimmyk
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I get the obvious referrence to the year in which Jesus-Christ is assumed to have died, ...

Ahh...thank you. Was raised Catholic and have studied some history of World Civilization and never recall that year being brought up. I guess I was asleep those lessons! Which is entirely possible.

Religion and politics - bad first date topics and bad board topics...it hardly ever turns out well...

So, how bout them Yankees?

Apathy
05-27-2008, 05:39 PM
What did those two do that was so wrong?

I have no problem with people and their beliefs. You can believe anything under the sun that you want. You believe in the Christian God? Awesome. You're a Muslim? Cool. You practice Wikka? Great.

However, the second you try and push your beliefs on someone else, that's not cool. Let people do what they want, and stop trying to make them think like you do. Especially strangers.

And as someone else pointed out, when you're bagging their groceries or whatever, you're a captive audience. Proselytizing someone in a retail setting is completely rude, disrespectful, and really just out of place.

Kyree
05-27-2008, 05:55 PM
So, how bout them Yankees?

Why is it always the yankees? :(

Broomjockey
05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Why is it always the yankees? :(

So, how's about that local sports team, eh?

Dreamstalker
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
That's the whole point. Most of the people here are a captive audience while at work. And, they are definitely not permitted to give ruder responses. A rude response can get people written up and potentially fired.
This reminds me of my personal stalker at my first bookstore job. She seemed to assume I was a member of one religion because I happened to be stocking that section. Went way downhill from there; she assumed we were bosom buddies and would all but barge into the backroom to seek me out. She even had her own few pages in the secret "customers from hell" binder in the backroom (contained names, descriptions and updated summaries of their antics). Ultimately it took many other coworker complaints to get her banned.

South Texan
05-27-2008, 07:03 PM
However, the second you try and push your beliefs on someone else, that's not cool. Let people do what they want, and stop trying to make them think like you do. Especially strangers.
I guess you and I have a differing definition of "pushing" beliefs on someone. Simply asking if someone has heard of whatever belief you have and offering to speak with them if they have not does not meet my definition of "pushing" a belief on anyone.

And as someone else pointed out, when you're bagging their groceries or whatever, you're a captive audience. Proselytizing someone in a retail setting is completely rude, disrespectful, and really just out of place.If a person is getting in the employee's face and yelling something like "You are going to hell" or "My God will punish you for (whatever) unless you think like I do" or was grabbing the employee or refusing to stop talking about the religion once the employee gave a polite "No Thank You", then I would agree that the person was out of line and out of place. Simply asking if the employee has heard of whatever religious belief the person holds and offering to share information does not cross the rude or disrespectful line in my way of thinking.

The two women in the original story simply asked if the employee had a church and, when were told the answer was no, asked why that was. To me, that sounded like an invitation to attend their church was coming. When it was obvious that the employee was not interested and did not want to speak with them, they stopped. To me, that is not rude or disrespectful in the least. And I still do not see why they were called "religious nuts" or were held up as something to laugh at.

Evil Queen
05-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I used to get bothered with people trying to push their religion on me AT MY HOUSE! No, not Jehovah witnesses... Mormons and catholics. I know, WTF? People trying to get me to go to their churches because I was "new the to the neighborhood". (Even though I'd lived there for several years, I was new to them) Well, don't get me wrong, you're nice people and all but you missed the "No Trespassing" Sign on the way in, right? Time to release the hounds!

Killer! Hannibal! FETCH! (for the record, killer and hannibal would either not exist, or be kittens. Depending on the time and whim of my fancy.)

So, how's about that local sports team, eh?

So how's them maple leaves? (For those ignorant of what a "sport" is. Like Me! :lol: )

FenigDurak
05-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Geez.. groupies..http://www.devilspanties.com/forums/images/smilies/223.gif

We're not all groupies. ;)
http://www.nigelcasantini.com/albums/dragoncon2007/DSC05622.jpg

(The picture I had of Crazeyal and I in our respective costumes seems to have disappeared, so this will just have to do until I can get another.)

Apathy
05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I guess you and I have a differing definition of "pushing" beliefs on someone.

Yes, it seems we do.
I have some religious beliefs, but they're my business, and I don't talk about them. For me, religion is a personal thing. For others, it isn't, and that's fine, but there's a time and place to discuss it.
But if a stranger brings up religion, I believe their motive is to persuade me to their way of thinking. They're not just striking up a friendly chat, or they'd be talking about the weather.
For most people (I think, at least) this kind of thing is uncomfortable. Someone you don't know is bringing up pretty personal stuff. I don't care for that anywhere, let alone having someone do it at my job.
I think this kind of thing crosses a line for many people (I know it does for me).

The two women in the original story simply asked if the employee had a church and, when were told the answer was no, asked why that was.

I would be annoyed by this. This really isn't their business, and I'd say it's rude to ask.

And I still do not see why they were called "religious nuts" or were held up as something to laugh at.

I can see taking offense at the "nuts," but I think it was just an easy and salient phrase to use. And as for being laughed at: I doubt that was the point at all. The OP's just telling us about something annoying that happened to him at work.

It probably feels like I'm attacking you, ST, but I'm trying not to. I'm just trying to make the point that while this seems natural to you, it might rub other people the wrong way.

Mark Healey
05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
PERFECT RESPONSE!

I never have understood why people on this board become so worked up over anyone wanting to share a religious belief. It is not as if the religious person's motives are evil. The person is trying to share with you something that person has found that he/she feels is good and would be good for you as well. What is so wrong with that? I get the feeling there may be a little guilt behind the fury and bravado given as replies to these people.

Have you ever noticed how cults like to send their recruiters to where people can't just leave, like airports. It's the same thing, only worse. Faithheads love it when it is a one sided conversation and they don't have to deal with any of that hard thinky stuff. Retail employees can't simply walk away or tell them why their wrong. Forcing a captive audience to listen to your ramblings about your imaginary friends is abusive. That's where the fury comes from.

friendofjimmyk
05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
So...a boy, a girl, and a dog walk into a bar...

or..

a dyslexic man walks into a bra

no?

I don't know too many jokes.

How's the weather where you are?

Rapscallion
05-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Whee - another closed thread!

Raspcallion