PDA

View Full Version : Your parents never taught you manners, so I will

portia911
08-16-2008, 12:53 AM
So I give up a couple of hours in the first day off I have had in 3 months to come into work and do a presentation for one of the local hospo training institutes. The instructor brings in a dozen feral munts who have absolutely no hope of working in a customer facing role if you held a gun to their heads. Great.

So as a start giving them my speil and imparting my infinate wisdom to the great unwashed I hear the click click click of text messaging from the one standing next to me. I stop talking. The room goes silent except for the clicking. I turn to face the culprit and for the next 30 seconds she is compeltey oblivious to the fact everyone in the room is watching her and me.

Me - sarcastic angry person
FM - Feral munt

Me - Excuse me. Am I boring you?
FM- nah I'm just sending a message to my mate
Me - Great. Was it worth it?
FM - huh?
Me - Your behaviour is extremely rude. If you worked for me you would have just lost about $2000 worth of performance bonus. I did not give up my afternoon to help you with your course to put up with this. Go and wait in the van.

Ok it was a bit harsh but FFS, what ever happened to manners?

Chanlin
08-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Nah I don't think you were bad at all. I've had college professors do as much and worse. Its rude to be overtly ignoring you like that when that's not what they are there for.

Its funnier when the prof manages to sneak up behind someone and reads what they are typing out loud.

AdminAssistant
08-16-2008, 12:59 AM
A good part of my GTA training orientation earlier this week was "How do deal with students and their *^%&*% electronics".

I need to post about that....

Speaking of professors... I had one who would answer phones that rang in his class. In funny accents. AND he would make up stories. Remember kids, once tenured, professors can get away with ANYTHING.

Imogene
08-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey, not that I would ever do such a thing (stupid text messaging not on my cell phone... *grumble, mutter*) But I have the ability to listen and comprehend while not paying the slightest bit of attention to you. One of my teachers taught me in High school how to multitask my brain.
I point you at an example where a teacher was trying to explain how telephony can get disrupted by having one of my classmates start reciting the alphabet. Mid stream, the teacher starts talking over him. Once classmate finishes, teach looks at the room and says, "Now, did anyone understand what I was saying AND what K was saying?" I raised my hand. Teach looks at me, and says, "And that's an example of a dual processor."

Evil Queen
08-16-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm currently teaching my Boss K's monsters kids manners. It seems to have rubbed off on them pretty well. At least, from what I'm told anyways. I haven't seen them in a few weeks.

One-Fang
08-16-2008, 01:52 AM
I can almost do that multi task thing. I reckon I do get around 70% of two things happening at once. In most cases, 70% of a message is actually fine. You get the gist of what's going on.

Occasionally though, I have to go "Whoa, wait ... what???" and get a bit re-said. :)

Soulstealer
08-16-2008, 02:35 AM
A good part of my GTA training orientation earlier this week was "How do deal with students and their *^%&*% electronics".

I need this as a manual.

Speaking of professors... I had one who would answer phones that rang in his class. In funny accents. AND he would make up stories. Remember kids, once tenured, professors can get away with ANYTHING.

Or do research for creationist groups when you're in an anthropology department.

Polenicus
08-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey, not that I would ever do such a thing (stupid text messaging not on my cell phone... *grumble, mutter*) But I have the ability to listen and comprehend while not paying the slightest bit of attention to you. One of my teachers taught me in High school how to multitask my brain.
I point you at an example where a teacher was trying to explain how telephony can get disrupted by having one of my classmates start reciting the alphabet. Mid stream, the teacher starts talking over him. Once classmate finishes, teach looks at the room and says, "Now, did anyone understand what I was saying AND what K was saying?" I raised my hand. Teach looks at me, and says, "And that's an example of a dual processor."

Y'see, I can't do that. I can have two things going, and toggle between them fairly easily, and be able to fill the gaps enough to comprehend both threads, but more than two and I kinda get glazed eyes, forget where I am, and discover at the end of everything I have no memory of ANY of what was said, and a paper in front of me with 'I AM A FISH' written 400 times.

Golden Phoenix
08-16-2008, 01:54 PM
[snippy!]
a paper in front of me with 'I AM A FISH' written 400 times.

Do you do a silly dance and pass out afterwards? :D

I can't do the listen-to-two-things task, but mainly because i have a hearing problem where i can't pick out individual noises from background sounds.

(Think concentrating on one person's voice at a party)

However i can and do multitask, you have to when a customer is bending your ear about their bill and you're trying to fix it at the same time because you get marked on your call handling time (which is deeply unfair as any callcentre worker wil agree)

Phone Jockey
08-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Me - Your behaviour is extremely rude. If you worked for me you would have just lost about $2000 worth of performance bonus. I did not give up my afternoon to help you with your course to put up with this. Go and wait in the van.

Ok it was a bit harsh but FFS, what ever happened to manners?

YOU ARE AWESOME! Stick to those guns, that's why you're there. Plus, you've shown them all that there are consequences for acting like dipshits. :lol:

Bliss
08-16-2008, 04:20 PM

I can do it too, in fact I've done it most of my life and in normal situations sometimes I need to multitask to keep idle threads occupied so my main core (brain) can think clearly.

But the thing and the case here is not whether we have the ability or not, but what the message of us multitasking gives our interlocutor (the other person). Even if we can multitask without loosing our concentration, the body language gives the other person the feeling they're not important to you (whether it's true or not, it's how human minds react) and it's that type of message that portia is trying to teach against.

Portia gave this person one chance to understand they where passing the wrong message back "Am I boring you?" the person was so immersed in her texting that she missed the body, possibly facial, and specially textual message that she was receiving a warning, responded aloofly thus showing she did NOT care to be there, and portia acted acoordingly.

Damn... being a manager now is really changing my perception of the world.

AdminAssistant
08-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Well, the biggest issue with texting/IM/computer usage/etc. in the classroom is that it can be distracting to other students. Personally, if you'd rather play computer games than pay attention to the class you've paid for, fine. It's not MY grade point on the line. But the instant you start disturbing someone who is actually trying to learn something - then we have a problem.

I'm a real hardass about stuff like this. If you can't put away the electronics for 50 blessed minutes get the hell out of my class.

texasbelle5
08-16-2008, 05:56 PM
OK I give up. What is a feral munt? Aussie slang? I am in the US.

tollbaby
08-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I had a training course a few months ago that my coworkers still tease me about. The trainer was ... *sigh* a major cougar, and kept laying hands on the male students *rolls eyes* She was boring, didn't really know her stuff very well, and it was boring subject matter to boot. She got peeved at me a couple of times for asking questions she didn't know the answers to (which pertained EXACTLY to the subject matter, so for her not to know the answers kind of made her look dumb).

I tuned her out and started napping. She noticed. She walked right up to me, and while my coworkers could see it coming, there was no way for them to warn me ;) (it was kind of like a Dash-8 plane where there are two seats on one side of teh aisle and one seat on the other side - I was on the side with one seat).

She stops dead in front of me and asks me a question - remember me? I'M the one sleeping ;) I opened my eyes, gave her the exact answer she wanted in a total deadpan, and went back to napping. My coworkers had to physically restrain themselves not to burst out laughing. This lady was now PISSED.

The thing with me is, when I'm "napping", I can hear EVERYTHING that's going on around me, because I don't allow myself to relax totally. While I was actually sleeping, I heard every bloody word she said, and was aware enough to pop awake when she walked up to me and answer her question on the spot. It's a talent that has served me well working in call centres, because on slower days, I can nap between calls (very useful when you have a newborn and aren't getting enough sleep - lord I do NOT miss those days! LOL).

One of my coworkers tells this story to anybody who will listen because it tickles him pink that I was able to gall her like that. Now in my case, it was a very boring class in which NONE of us learned anything new (seriously, any questions we had regarding anything we DIDN'T know, she didn't know either, and we complained to our boss afterward). I don't use electronics or futz around on the computer during training though. But trust me, if I tune you out, it's because 1- I don't want to be there and 2- you *are* boring me ;)

I applaud you for kicking her out though :)

Big-box-retail-blues
08-16-2008, 08:36 PM
The issue is it is rude. Who cares how many processes your brain can handle at once? It is rude. Get off the phone!

blas
08-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Just about as rude as when you're on a first date and your date is totally ignoring you and click click click clicking away on his phone.

Kiwi
08-16-2008, 10:19 PM
I dont think you over reacted at all, it was extremely rude of her. If you are talking time out of your day to help them learn the least they can do is pay attention!

Totally ironic that its in a hospitality course!!!

I could never understand people who thought it was ok to talk or text during a lecture at university, Ive seen many people thrown out of class (with waiting lists) time and time again due to talking or not paying attention!

When there are 30 places and 55 people need that class, you do NOT sit there distracted. The worst thing I had ever seen was a guy who would put a dictaphone on record and sit there and nap in class... out teacher used an old dowl for a pointer, walked up to him and when WHAM on the table he just about wet himself.

AdminAssistant
08-16-2008, 10:24 PM
The worst thing I had ever seen was a guy who would put a dictaphone on record and sit there and nap in class... out teacher used an old dowl for a pointer, walked up to him and when WHAM on the table he just about wet himself.

:lol: I love it.

The absolute BEST (and I wasn't even there, I've just heard/seen pictures, but I also had this professor) was a History/Civics professor who could've personally witnessed the building of the Pyramids (he was OLD). He was also totally awesome, knowledgeable, and challenging.

One day, he staged something with a student he knew. That student had a phone ring, when the professor demanded it, the student handed him a dummy phone. Professor then took dummy phone and smashed it into itty bitty pieces with a hammer. It was complete and utter shock from the rest of the class. Immediately after, the professor explained it was a joke - but from what my friends told me, he didn't have any more problems with cell phones ringing in his class.

portia911
08-16-2008, 11:19 PM
to reply to a few posts

a feral munt is basically the uneducated unmoitvated drop kicks in life who have to understake government training course so they can get their benefit. I would never employ them. They can't even look you in the eye when or if they do atlk to you and as posted above these are the very last type of people who should be working in hospo.

Having said that I hate mobile phones. They are banned at my work and if a customer starts using one while I am helping them I just walk away and wait for them to come and find me. Usually they apologise.

Broomjockey
08-17-2008, 01:33 AM
a paper in front of me with 'I AM A FISH' written 400 times.

...*looks down at sig*. :p

Gravekeeper
08-17-2008, 03:10 AM
I seriously despise cellphones, iPhones, Blackberries, etc. With every fiber of my being. There are few things more rude or annoying in public then the above devices. Sure, there are people that can use them and be respectful to those around them. But you don't notice those people because they're trying to talk quietly, aren't trying to interact with other people at the same time ( in line at a store ) or have moved to a corner out of traffic to take their call, etc.

As for teachers...my old social studies teacher in high school loved it when people didn't pay attention. It gave him excuses to do horrible horrible things. He didn't slam on the desk though. One of my friends nodded off in class once and he walked up, lifted his leg far higher then any of us figured he could, yelled "KYAAAAA~!" and axe kicked the desk right next to my friends head.

My god he near pissed himself. -.-

Still, my all time favourite moment in that class involved the class ditz. She was a classic airhead and the rude "Like, omigawd" type around whom the world supposedly revolved in her mind. She was constantly slacking off, writing notes, etc etc in class. My social studies teacher use to sneak up and take the notes. Then he would save them in his desk and every now and then, usually on Fridays, he'd devote 10 minutes of class to reading out all the notes he'd confiscated that week and quite clearly state who they were from.

One class he was ragging on her for not paying attention, not being able to answer a single question, etc etc and she got really upset with him, stood up and yelled, and I quote: "YOU ONLY PICK ON THE STUPID ONES!". He just looked right at her and went "Well, yes.". Then the light dawned on her and she stormed out of the class room.

It was awesome. ^^

Irving Patrick Freleigh
08-17-2008, 03:16 AM
Still, my all time favourite moment in that class involved the class ditz. She was a classic airhead and the rude "Like, omigawd" type around whom the world supposedly revolved in her mind. She was constantly slacking off, writing notes, etc etc in class. My social studies teacher use to sneak up and take the notes. Then he would save them in his desk and every now and then, usually on Fridays, he'd devote 10 minutes of class to reading out all the notes he'd confiscated that week and quite clearly state who they were from.

One class he was ragging on her for not paying attention, not being able to answer a single question, etc etc and she got really upset with him, stood up and yelled, and I quote: "YOU ONLY PICK ON THE STUPID ONES!". He just looked right at her and went "Well, yes.". Then the light dawned on her and she stormed out of the class room.

It was awesome. ^^

That it must have been. It's always great when stupid people revel in their stupidity and proclaim what everybody else already knows.

Broomjockey
08-17-2008, 03:28 AM
As for teachers...my old social studies teacher in high school loved it when people didn't pay attention. It gave him excuses to do horrible horrible things. He didn't slam on the desk though. One of my friends nodded off in class once and he walked up, lifted his leg far higher then any of us figured he could, yelled "KYAAAAA~!" and axe kicked the desk right next to my friends head.

You just reminded me of a prank my physics teacher in HS pulled on someone who fell asleep. He motioned everyone to be quiet, got us out of the room, turned the lights off, then went down to the office and got on the intercom to wake her up. The confused look on her face was priceless.

Imogene
08-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Portia gave this person one chance to understand they where passing the wrong message back "Am I boring you?" the person was so immersed in her texting that she missed the body, possibly facial, and specially textual message that she was receiving a warning, responded aloofly thus showing she did NOT care to be there, and portia acted acoordingly.

Ah, but, seeing as I would in fact be paying attention to you as well, I would catch those body signals, and would likely drop the secondary task.

tropicsgoddess
08-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't blame the OP for what they did since that student was rude. When I was in training for my first job (a call center), the trainer went in full Drill Sargent mode when he saw one of my co-workers yakking on her cellphone.

Big-box-retail-blues
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
As I lay Dying by William Faulkner. He wrote it in the stream of conciousness style of writing (think Jack Kerouac) over a 6 week period of time; unaltered. It used, I think, 12 different narrative voices and spanned 59 chapters the shortest of which contained 5 words, "My mother is a fish."

Sharsarannon
08-18-2008, 02:22 AM

I need to post about that....

ONe reason I would consider being a professor. I love art and I'd have such a fun time screwing the brains of spoiled brats who never learned manners.

Sharsarannon
08-18-2008, 02:34 AM

Wow, if I didn't know better I'd swear we went to school with the same teacher. I had an eigth grade prof who is an incredible person, war vet, patriot, and was very much a martial artist in his free time, and he imparted amazing wisdom daily. (I attribute most of the strength of character I may have to him)
Once in a while someone one inevitably fall asleep in class, as somebody always does. He would take the yardstick he was using to gesture, sneak up next to them very quietly, and slap it down on the old fashioned, hollow wood and metal desk beside the sleeper. Priceless.

AlmightyALT
08-18-2008, 02:57 AM
My aunt has a whistle that can be heard two blocks away. And she's now a high school teacher. :whistle: Her students learned quickly that you don't sleep in her class.

Jay 2K Winger
08-20-2008, 03:34 AM
My last two years of high school, I had this teacher for my Spanish class who called herself "La Bruja." For those of you who don't speak Spanish, that means "The Witch." She was dubbed Bruja by her students one year, and she adopted it as her name. We all CALLED her Bruja, and she encouraged it. (Granted, this may have been because there was another teacher in the school with the same last name as her, though no relation.)

Her classroom was FULL of little noise-makers and toys that made noise and the like. Her class was usually in the morning (in my case, BOTH years, first thing in the morning), and so her students being teenagers with too much homework on top of everything else a teenager's trying to do, we were all not getting enough sleep, and would sometimes doze off.

If you did that, she would pick up one of her little toys, go over to the sleeping student, hold the toy right next to their ear, and turn it on. Very few people fell asleep more than once in her classes. Except for this one guy who clearly just didn't care. He didn't wake up for more than a minute while the thing was going off next to his ear.

Gravekeeper
08-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Wow, if I didn't know better I'd swear we went to school with the same teacher.

No, mine was a hairy viking of a mine. Really, that's what we called him. The viking. -.-

He rarely used objects and if he did it was finding a heavy stack of books and dropping them right next to your sleeping face.