PDA

View Full Version : Gross. Not how I wanted to spend my Saturday night!!

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 02:15 AM
so, I came home from a friend's house, and went to load the dishwasher. I turned on the tap of my kitchen sink to prerinse some stuff, and noticed that the side with the garbage disposal was draining a little slower than usual. So, I turned on the disposal, thinking there was some food particles that didn't go through all the way.

Instead, noxious smelling water spewed up the other basin of the sink! I shut the disposal off and it comes bubbling back up the side with the disposal, too!

That's when I notice my feet are getting wet! My diswasher is ALSO clogged and backed up with icky water. I called the emergency maintenance line twice already, and have gotten no response. About to call for the 3rd time. I'm just wondering if they'll respond that this isn't technically an "emergency, and that I can wait until Monday.

I have to use the bathroom, but I'm afraid of using the toilet right now. I've already got a flooded kitchen. I don't need a flooded bathroom, either!

I hate this. On top of everything else, this happens. And I'm crying now over my kitchen. Fucking A. I hate life right now. And apparently life hates me.

And I'm also getting progessively more SC with each call to maintenance, I'm afraid. First call had me asking if someone could please come out and look at this tonight. Second call had me saying someone needs to come out and fix this tonight. Third call, I'm ashamed to say, I said "This WILL get fixed tonight, and I'll be calling back frequently until it's addressed."

Forgive me fellow SCers...for I have sinned... :(

Eric the Grey
05-31-2009, 02:19 AM
Try running some water down the bathroom sink. Chances are they are not both plugged, but you never know, and a little water in the sink is better than a flooded bathroom from the toilet.

Good luck.

:cool: Eric the Grey

Der Cute
05-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Lupo, are you in a basement apartment?

It's common for basement apts to have backflow. It happens because the line from the building to the city sewer gets backed up a bit - cooking, hair, crud, you name it.

Needs a snake down the drain. BTDT.

Cutenoob

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 02:25 AM
Not in a basement apartment First floor, though, in a building with two floors. Would that cause problems.

Eric The Grey: Thanks, didn't think of that. I'll try it in the tub, too, just to be on the safe side. Going on 45 minutes since I first called maintenance and NO response. I'm getting very very cranky and unhappy as the time ticks by. Going to call again in a few minutes, when it gets to teh 1 hour mark.

Ugh. SO FRUSTRATED!!!

Kiwi
05-31-2009, 02:40 AM
try vinegar down the sink, then some baking soda

sorry your having a rough night Lupo!

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 02:46 AM
Called for the fourth time. Still no one has gotten back to me. I'm getting even more cranky on the phone while trying not to. I pointed out that it was my fourth call, and it had been an hour since the first, with no response or acknowledgement. I stated the problem, my plumbing in my kitchen is causing problems, and that as it was plumbing I was assuming it'd be considered an emergency (Can't go without wate,r yknow...) Ended the call by saying it would be wonderful if someone could at the very least acknowledge me and my situation, and let me know if/when it would be addressed.

I'm near tears again. This is really pissing me off!

Aethian
05-31-2009, 03:15 AM
Lupo, for one...take a long deep breath. Your getting mad over it isn't going to fix it. It's like getting mad and throwing your coat to the ground, all your doing is getting your coat dirty and still being mad.

Now that the breath has been taken find the copy of your lease. In there it should talk about matience issues. If there is an emergency, and yes I would say this constitutes, and you can NOT get ahold of the apartment matience you should be allowed to call someone else to come out and fix the problem. Taking the money paid to them from your lease payment due to the fact that the property management FAILED.

You are not an SC in this case, they are the ones being sucky.

Know that we all luffs you quite a bit.

BookstoreEscapee
05-31-2009, 03:24 AM
Um, I think most everyone here will agree you are justified...

Good luck.

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 03:49 AM
It's been two hours. (two hours and 5 minutes to be exact) since I first called maintenance. Still no answer, no call back, and no one has come by. I want to go to bed, I'm exhausted, I have to go to work tomorrow, but I have no working water in my kitchen!

I'm about to call the management emergency line to leave a message and explain what's going on. Don't know if that's going to do any good, but what the hell, right? Meanwhile, I've managed to mop up most of the water and opened the kitchen window to air out the smell.

I know that getting pissed off isn't helping, but I feel so frustrated and helpless. If I knew what to do to fix this myself, I would!

SG15Z
05-31-2009, 04:01 AM
aw Lupo! :hug: You know I'm starting to think you should find a new apartment. :yes:

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 04:10 AM
aw Lupo! :hug: You know I'm starting to think you should find a new apartment. :yes:

Darlin', you know I would, but you also know this is one of the best deals around, plus right along a bus route, which I need. I just signed the new lease for a year, too.

Besides, all the stress and problems that come with moving would only compound all the shit I'm dealing with now. It just all sucks ass. I'm thinking I'm going to go to bed. I don't think I'm going to get any answers tonight, and that pisses me off more than anything. It's been almost 3 hours. over 2 1/2 at least.

SG15Z
05-31-2009, 04:15 AM
True, apartments aren't cheap. It's just first the whole break-in fiasco, then the air conditioner, now this?! What's next!

Food Lady
05-31-2009, 04:21 AM
Lupo, I'm so sorry to hear all this. Hopefully some sleep will make you feel better. Bear in mind it's a weekend and hard to get ahold of maintenance, but there's no separate emergency line, nor pager # for emergencies?

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 04:26 AM
Food Lady, I HAVE been calling the emergency maintenance line. You get a message that says leave name, apt #, phone # and nature of the emergency, and a maintenance rep will be out.

I called the first time at 8:39 pm tonight. It is now 11:21 pm. I've received no call, no one's stopped by, nothing. So, I called the emergency management line, and left a message there, explaining the situation. AGain, I got snarky and stupid, throwing out lines like, "Maybe someone here can help, since I've called maintenance 5 times, and no one's even deigned to call me back"

I feel stupid. And frustrated and exhausted and I can't stop crying because everything is going wrong. This whole year has been going wrong, and it's not even halfway done. I feel like I'm never going to even out and it sucks, and I get even worse because whenever I talk about it, I feel like all I'm doing is whining about it. I hate this, and I'm really really hating life right now, and it seems like life is hating me right back.

It's me
05-31-2009, 04:35 AM
I'm a guy, so I have to solve the problem rather just offer condolences! :)

It's probably just the trap under the sink full of crap. A knife or a stir stick goes down the drain, other stuff gets hung up, and they next thing you know the sink backs up.

Did you try the bathroom sink? The shower/tub? If they drain I am sure the toilet will work okay too (assumming you haven't already needed to use it!)

And as for life in generally going down the tubes, something to keep in mind: This, too, shall pass.

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm a guy, so I have to solve the problem rather just offer condolences! :)

It's probably just the trap under the sink full of crap. A knife or a stir stick goes down the drain, other stuff gets hung up, and they next thing you know the sink backs up.

That's all well and good, but how to FIX it? I'm not exactly talented with tools or anything, so I'm not sure what you mean. And with my luck with repairs, I'd ruin the whole damn thing.

Bathroom stuff is all ok. I checked. It's just my kitchen plumbing that's fucked all to hell.

the_std
05-31-2009, 04:45 AM
The easiest way to check for clogs - unbend a wire hanger and use one of the ends to poke down the drain. But if it's coming out your dishwasher, this likely isn't your only problem. But it's definitely worth a try!

MannersMakethMan
05-31-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't think anyone could blame you for getting a bit annoyed since nothing seems to be happening from what's supposed to be an emergency line.

I second the baking powder/vinegar idea if there's no standing water, else maybe a pipe cleaner/metal hanger/knitting needle or similar might be enough to shift the blockage if it reaches. If not, then there's probably not a great deal more to be done, and you'd be best off having a lie down until they finally come.

It might seem like things are all against you now, but just think of all the good things you must be due for another time. They will come. Good luck!

BookstoreEscapee
05-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Someone had a sig...I think it went, "Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end."

:hug:

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
I ended up calling a grand total of 6 times over the course of about 3.5 hours. No response from emergency maintenance at all. I also called the emergency management line twiced. Still nada, zip, zilch.

I was able to prepare breakfast this morning, but I couldn't use my kitchen sink, or load the dishwasher. The water did eventually drain, but the random particles and crap in the bottom of the sink were enough to make me want to lose said breakfast. And the thought of that crap lingering on my floor...ugh

I managed to mop everything up, off the floor and get the excess water out of the dishwasher. When the office opens today in about an hour, they will get phone calls from me. Repeatedly. And I wll get an explanation as to why I was ignored, when, essentially, I can't use any water in my kitchen for fear of my sink and dishwasher backing up again on me and flooding my kitchen once more. The dirty dishes are everywhere...and the traces of slimy crap in my sink make me die a little inside. I ALWAYS keep my kitchen clean and this is just weirding me out.

I'm also exhausted. I stayed up until 2 a.m. in the vain, vain hope that maybe, just MAYBE someone would at the very least call and acknowledge me, but no go. I didn't sleep well either, worrying that my sink would erupt again or the phone would ring and I wouldn't hear it. So I'm going on very little sleep here, which only serves to make even crankier than I was last night.

lupo pazzesco
05-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Grrr!!! :mad:

Four calls. FOUR. in the last 2.5 hours, roughly. IT was confirmed that this is, in fact, a maintenance emergency. But the asst man at the office keeps calling the maintenance man and he keeps swearing up and down he's coming, he's coming, but nothing. For two and a half HOURS. The asst manager finally told me she called the property manager, and that SHE will start calling maintenance.

I just want my kitchen fixed. :cry:

There will be a complaint lodged with the customer satisfaction line. See if there isn't. The office closes in a little over an hour, and I won't be home before then. So, if I have to start dealing with afterhours emergency maintenance line again, SOMEONE is going to pay. (I sound like a total SC/EW but at this point, I'm really not caring. I'm pissed.)

Aethian
06-01-2009, 12:37 AM
The only difference Dear is that you are NOT a SC/EW. You had an emergency and the apartment complex let you down big time.

lupo pazzesco
06-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Aw, thanks Aethian. <Snugs>

Well, i got home from work tonight and hallelujiah, there's a notice on my table, saying they fixed everything. Granted, they didn't CLEAN anything, so I spent a good hour or so on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor. I wanted it CLEAN, and a Swiffer wetjet just won't do it for me. And I just finished running a load of dishes in the diswasher, so it does indeed look like everything is fixed.

I am, however, going to still make a complaint, just to inform the head company what kind of shenanigans the maintenance crew pulls in supposed emergencies. I won't turn EW and demand any kind of compensation, but I do want the situation addressed, if only to spare some other poor sap the crap i went through.

SG15Z
06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
yay good to hear it got fixed sooner than the air conditioner did. And definitely complain. Hopefully it will keep this from happening to you again.

telecom_goddess
06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I just want to add my story...it's not really sucky cause my apartment complex came through and it ended up way better than it could have.

Easter Sunday....early afternoon out of NOWHERE the damn spout on the toilet tank pops off, and guess what folks it's a pressure valve. So I now have water shooting out at a high rate of speed, can't get the valve back on there for nothing until the water is shut off. On Easter Sunday....no maintenance, no office, no idea where the main shut off valve even IS. So I call 911 and the emergency maintenance number, we eventually get the fire department and maintenance dude out there...they eventually get the water shut off and a new valve on. By now my bathroom is a lake....with every towel I own jammed up against the doorway, and still 1/3 of my hallway and living/dining room area SOAKED. I mean walk on the carpet and it squishes in an unpleasant way. But once the valve and toilet were fixed/replaced/re waxed etc and the main lake sucked up by the fire department...the apartment people sent over a carpet cleaning crew with a nifty device that is designed for floods...and sucks up the remaining water out of the carpet...so it's about as damp as it would be after a cleaning. Plus they put some stuff on it to prevent mold and it's doing ok so far, even if the sub flooring is warped now :(.

All in all it turned out ok...I had the now disgusting bathroom cleaned and the last the of towels washed and dried by about 9 pm, and the carpet in a livable if damp condition. Nothing of mine actually got damaged thank god.

But yeah I never heard of that valve just coming off like that before...and it turns out that a coworker of mine had that happen, and it turned out much worse for him since it ran all day from an upstairs bathroom....flooded his whole house :eek: