PDA

View Full Version : Yes kid, tell your ma!

C. Cecil Ivanish
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
...yes, tell her how to behave on the phone!

I get this call in for the [Electronic Toy] company.

Me: "Good morning, thank you for calling [Company], my name is [Cemetery Cecil], how can I help you?"
Lady: "Well, I can't trust your company, can I?"
Me: "...sorry ma'am, what are you referring to?"
Lady: "The [item] is broken, it lasted only a week, my son is desperate because he can't play!"
Me: "I am sure we can fix it, or in case replace it for free. Can you please tell me what seems to be the problem?"
Lady: "I don't know, it doesn't work!"
Me: "I'm afraid that I need some more details, could you please ask your son, if he is there, to explain you what is the problem?"
Lady: "OK, I'll put him on, but be careful, he is 14!"
[I think that she is warning me that I will be talking to a moody teenager. I become aware that I am being put on loudspeaker]
Son: "Hallo, my name is [Name]"
Lady (from the back): "Don't tell him your name! You don't know how he will use it!"
Me: "Don't worry, I am not even writing it down. Now, [Name], can you please explain me what is wrong with your [item]?"
Son: "Yes, well, I am following the instructions..."
[detailed troubleshooting follows, with the son being extremely cooperative and polite]
Me: "Yes, I think I know what is happening. There is a quick fix for it, but I will have to send you an e-mail with instructions and a link to download an update to the Software"
Mom (from the back): "Don't give him any e-mail!"
Me: "I'm afraid that without an e-mail address I won't be able to help you fix the problem with your [item]"
Mom: "You are invading our privacy! Give me your name and I'll report you to the Police!"
Me: "Ma'am, I am only asking for your e-mail address so I can provide you with a solution to the issue you called us about. Without it I am unable to assist you. I can guarantee that we will not contact you for any reason unless you initiate the contact"
Mom (in a low voice): "[Name], give him a fake e-mail address"
Son: "Mom, he needs to send us the instructions! OK [Cecil], it is [e-mail@ddr.ess]"
Mom: "YOU GAVE HIM A REAL ADDRESS!"
Son: "Mom, I will explain you in a minute. [Cecil], thank you for your help, if it doesn't work I guess I can call you again, correct?"
Me: "Absolutely, thank you for calling"

IT Grunt
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Wow... someone needs their tinfoil hat adjusted. :rolleyes:

Whiskey
07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Lady: "The [item] is broken, it lasted only a week, my son is desperate because he can't play!"

I can't get past this line. Did "the outside" disappear sometime between my childhood and this kids childhood?

C. Cecil Ivanish
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Wow... someone needs their tinfoil hat adjusted.
I'm afraid we don't support that... ;)
I can't get past this line. Did "the outside" disappear sometime between my childhood and this kids childhood?
Not a clue.
Not that the kid sounded "desperate" in any way... just mildly puzzled as you would if you buy a new item and it doesn't work as it should.
Not the first time I hear of "desperate" kids on that account, by the way.

Falor
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM

What is this "outside" of which you speak?

Oh wait, I think I remember. Its that burning sauna that my goats live in.

jjc927
07-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Wow, that's sad how much smarter that kid is than his mother. Good thing he's looked past her raising.

NateTheChops
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
You basically just talked to my mother and my time diffused 14 year-old self. Man it's annoying having to live with a psychotic mother.

C. Cecil Ivanish
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Wow, that's sad how much smarter that kid is than his mother. Good thing he's looked past her raising.
Agreed - kudos to him.
You basically just talked to my mother and my time diffused 14 year-old self. Man it's annoying having to live with a psychotic mother.
Aw, so sorry for you! But you seem to have survived and thrived, if you are here! ;)

MoonCat
07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Mom: "You are invading our privacy! Give me your name and I'll report you to the Police!"

Wow, paranoid much?

Jay 2K Winger
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
What is this "outside" of which you speak?

Oh wait, I think I remember. Its that burning sauna that my goats live in.

Cursed Daystar! It buuuuurns!

Sliceanddice
07-27-2010, 04:57 PM

no whiskey what mom ment was 'OMG this kid is now talking to me asking me questions and bothering me when i want to watch this guy breakout of jail on a my soap opera!!!!!!!!!'

Android Kaeli
07-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Gee, I kinda think the lady was more desperate then the son was.

El Pollo Guerrera
07-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Cursed Daystar! It buuuuurns!

Big ball fire! Come up over edge of world, light up sky!!!

Seraph
07-27-2010, 11:12 PM
The sun is only there to kill us :D

Peppergirl
07-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Jesus!

Clearly the poor kid must take after his Dad.

Mytical
07-28-2010, 04:50 AM
I'm impressed with the son. Polite, and dealing with somebody screaming in his ears that is about 51 cards short of a deck.

Kristev
07-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Wow, that's just . . . lunacy.

Skelly
07-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Wow... someone needs their tinfoil hat adjusted. :rolleyes:

No, someone needs their medications adjusted and the straight jacket checked to ensure it's put on correctly :rolleyes:

Dreamstalker
07-28-2010, 02:40 PM
You too, eh? (in my case it was my grandmother; poor mom had to run interference most of the time)
Yup. My grandmother tended to think that my only source of any entertainment was TV/Nintendo, and when I was bouncing around in the yard after dark she'd tell my mom "see I told you she's crazy!" :(

C. Cecil Ivanish
07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow, paranoid much?
NOOOOOOOOOOO, why would you say so?
You think? ;)
"Fix the kid's toy and keep him busy while I use my giant dildo!"
Clearly the poor kid must take after his Dad.
...whoever he is, I imagine.
I'm impressed with the son. Polite, and dealing with somebody screaming in his ears that is about 51 cards short of a deck.
Yes, going through detailed troubleshooting (as in, "press this button", "plug the thingmy in port X", and at the same time keeping his mother relatively calm.
I admire him.

Magpie
07-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I still can't wrap my head around how she refused to give any info, but just flat-out asked for your name so she could report you to the police.

boxxertrumps
07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
I still can't wrap my head around how she refused to give any info, but just flat-out asked for your name so she could report you to the police.

"WELL IT'S OBVIOUS THAT I'M NOT A CRIMINAL/RAPIST/CON ARTIST!!!"

I'd like to shrug it off as some people are stupid but SCs aren't really people.

aquah2o
07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Wow nothing like paranoid parents is there?

CrazedClerkthe2nd
07-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Did you happen to hear Fox News in the background of that call by any chance?

Geek King
07-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Did you happen to hear Fox News in the background of that call by any chance?

Sorry, gross paranoia is more the "Coast to Coast Overnight" crowd.

Kristev
07-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks. I'd managed to make myself forget all about that group of paranoia prophets. Now I have to remember being forced to listen to it growing up. My mom & brother are alien-chasers. :cry:

C. Cecil Ivanish
07-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Well, I do give my name every time I answer the phone... first name only, though. And I do. Not. Give. My. Full. Name.
Then again, I am the only Marco in the office.

Chromatix
07-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Is there someone else named Polo? :D

Can I Help Your A$$?
07-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Sounds like my Gramma got reincarnated. Too bad the Karma rule didn't kick and she's still the same. Hi, Gramma! Remember me? I'm still a disappointment!

tropicsgoddess
07-29-2010, 06:38 PM
That mom is a nut job, such a shame the son had more sense than her.

C. Cecil Ivanish
07-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Did you happen to hear Fox News in the background of that call by any chance?Not sure, there were TV sounds though... ;)Is there someone else named Polo?Actually, now that you ask...