PDA

View Full Version : Best PA announcement EVER

fireheart
03-07-2011, 02:51 AM
So boyfriend and I were busy hunting at an op-shop yesterday known as Savers. Savers is basically, as my boyfriend put it "The Wal-Mart of Op-Shops". It's HUGE, I am not kidding. There's just racks and racks FULL of secondhand clothing. Needless to say it was a good way to hunt for stuff for a party.

While we were browsing, a generic recording came on over the PA system, which started out by announcing that they had trolleys available at the front, but then asked the following:

-Do not set fire to your trolleys :flame:
-Do not drive them under the influence :drink:
-Do not toboggan them down a steep hill. :bounce:

Boyfriend :roll:
Me: :lol:

To top it off, this was all done in a cheery upbeat voice. It was quite amusing to hear a store poking fun at itself :p

Becks
03-07-2011, 02:54 AM
I don't know if I should be amused or afraid.

ThirdGenRetail
03-07-2011, 03:17 AM
First... What's an op-shop? :headscratch: Second... That is hilarious :lol:

fireheart
03-07-2011, 03:18 AM
First... What's an op-shop? :headscratch: Second... That is hilarious :lol:

Op-Shop is basically a secondhand goods store. Charity shop, Goodwill donation centre type thing etc.

ThirdGenRetail
03-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Aaah, okay, thanks ~ It's just a term for it I've never run into before. I'm more used to 'thrift store'.

Lucky Charm
03-07-2011, 03:39 AM
It was quite amusing to hear a store poking fun at itself

This may be me being cynical, but I hope they were just poking fun at themselves and that they didn't really have any odd trolly incidents

the_std
03-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Random tidbit of knowledge - Saver's is also known as Value Village in North America. Besides the Salvation Army, it is the largest second-hand store chain in North America.

I never worked there, what do you mean? :p

Racket_Man
03-07-2011, 06:57 AM
-Do not set fire to your trolleys :flame:
-Do not drive them under the influence :drink:
-Do not toboggan them down a steep hill. :bounce:

Boyfriend :roll:
Me: :lol:

To top it off, this was all done in a cheery upbeat voice. It was quite amusing to hear a store poking fun at itself :p

I am not so sure they were poking fun at themselves

you do know, that like all other PA warnings AND printed on the lablel warnings, SOMEONE has actaully tried to do these things at one time or another, then tried to sue the business for some stupid reason and WON.

Falor
03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I am not so sure they were poking fun at themselves

you do know, that like all other PA warnings AND printed on the lablel warnings, SOMEONE has actaully tried to do these things at one time or another, then tried to sue the business for some stupid reason and WON.

That's about what I was thinking. Though in this case I read something more along the lines of "Darn it, we're tired of paying for new carts, people, so quit turning them into twisted junk at the bottom of the hill when the car hits you"

Kogarashi
03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Random tidbit of knowledge - Saver's is also known as Value Village in North America. Besides the Salvation Army, it is the largest second-hand store chain in North America.

I never worked there, what do you mean? :p

Huh, never heard of it. Goodwill, though, and Deseret Industries (Utah/Idaho area). Thrift stores are awesome. And we have a Goodwill Outlet near here where I can get old clothes by the pound for scrap fabric for sewing projects. It's pretty nice.

chainedbarista
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
from what i've seen with those poor, abused trolleys, i'm thinking most us stores should adopt that announcement.

Bella_Vixen
03-08-2011, 04:07 AM
No more tobogganing? :cry:

ThirdGenRetail
03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Hmm, just thought of one, related to this... When I started working at Red Vest, we had some rather... Abused carts :eek: One of them looked like somebody pointed a heat gun at it and warped the side! Now... There's at least two floating around with the ENTIRE front end of the cart dipped down(Yet they keep getting circulated out... I wouldn't trust them, quite frankly), not to mention how many have broken child seats from people placing blocks, bricks, bags of concrete, etc. in the seats that are meant for childrens' butts. Not that parents actually put their kids there...

Food Lady
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I am not so sure they were poking fun at themselves you do know, that like all other PA warnings AND printed on the lablel warnings, SOMEONE has actaully tried to do these things at one time or another, then tried to sue the business for some stupid reason and WON. Is that why our diapers have a warning to keep the baby away from source of open flame? Also, I am in the US and we have a Savers in my town, known by that name. First time I've ever heard of it.

fireheart
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
The money from the Savers over here goes to Diabetes SA, while most of the others go back to a church with the exception of Goodwill.

Merriweather
03-09-2011, 05:19 AM
The money from the Savers over here goes to Diabetes SA, while most of the others go back to a church with the exception of Goodwill.

I love charity shops, thrift stores, whatever name you want to give them, LOL.

Our Value Village just says it goes to "local charities".

When we lived in the UK, it seemed every small town had several small charity shops, some "chains" for various things like Cancer Society, Animal orgainzations, etc. plus lots of one-off shops for local charities. My favourite was in the town we lived in in Wales, I can't for the life of me recall what charity it was for, but the decor was SO unusual - the entire ceiling and parts of walls were lined with lingerie, including lots of unique knickers and corsets that had to have been victorian, or close to it. Never seen anything like it, ever.

Mr Hero
03-09-2011, 10:52 AM
The only thing that could make the announcement better is if it sounded like GLaDOS.

blas
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
A lot of people who shop at Savers scare me.

Jay 2K Winger
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
The only thing that could make the announcement better is if it sounded like GLaDOS.

*opens mouth to quote meme*

... ehh, no, it's been done.

Geek King
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Please do not put the carts in the plasma inducers.
Please remember to take your companion cube with you when you finish with the cart.
Customers who return the cart to the proper recepticle will be rewarded with cake.