PDA

View Full Version : It's okay, we won't shoot you.

Opalin
06-08-2011, 04:43 AM
I used to work at a fairly common brick and mortar game store on a military base used to train medics, assist with recovery of those with missing... well, ranged from missing fingers and extended to missing faces & limbs and we'll leave it at that, and put old generals out to pasture. As a result, we got quite a few people who were on drugs legally, and occasionally irrational. This is vital to understanding that this incident was fairly normal.

Me: Soldier named game girl goddess :confused: still not sure on that one.
RG: random guy
CW: coworker

Me: Hello sir, anything I can help you with today?
RG: "You.... you're from England aren't you."
Me: "um.... no?"
RG: "YOU ARE FROM ENGLAND!"
Me: "Sir, I assure you, I'm not. I was born in *state on the east coast*"
RG: "England. I can tell!"
*a note, when I lived in Germany, we got British channels, so when I get stressed, I do start to sound British, though I've never set foot there. I'm told it's charming, but this is not helping my argument*
Me: "Sir, I've never been in England, is there any game I can help you with?"
I can see CW laughing his head off in the background.
RG: Leans close, gives me a conspiratorial whisper. "It's okay to admit it you know, we don't shoot you brits anymore."
Me: :eek::confused:

BeenThereDoneThat
06-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Whoa. Makes me wonder who RG *does* shoot these days. :wtf:

vikingchyk
06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Me: Hello sir, anything I can help you with today?
RG: "You.... you're from England aren't you."
Me: "um.... no?"
RG: "YOU ARE FROM ENGLAND!"
Me: "Sir, I assure you, I'm not. I was born in *state on the east coast*"

I used to get this all the time when I was a kid (9-13 age range). No idea why, aside from the fact that I had manners, and spoke grammatically correct (American!) English. Born in CA, grew up in Chicagoland, no discernible accent. In 7th grade, half the people in my biology class were convinced I was English because I "talked funny" :shrug:

dragon_wings
06-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I get this all the time. I get asked I I'm British occasionally. I've been asked if I'm German once. And most often I'm asked 'Where are you from?' My accent is American but not from any specific region. And in very proud of that fact.

houdini
06-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I just got "your accent is so cute!" when I visited the States, or people couldn't understand me and gave me a really blank look before going "oh, you meant *word*!" I'm so glad no one tried to shoot me...

Little Retail Rabbit
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Going by how stupid this guy was, in all likeliness, he would probably have not have understood you if you really were English.

I get this so much it's stopped being funny and is starting to be a real pain in my arrrse. Some people at least try, but some people are downright rude about and even refuse to speak to me.

I'm from southern England; my accent is NOT strong. It's not like trying to make sense of the crap that comes out Cheryl Cole's mouth :p

Gizmo
06-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I keep getting asked if I'm South African. I'm Hampshire born and bred with a little Queens English taught in for phone manners. Now if only I could get people to believe me! :shrug:

Spork4pedro
06-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I get asked ALL the time where I'm from. I've been told that I'm Canadian at least 5 times (born and raised in Orange County, CA). Apparently it's how I pronounce my "a"s and "o"s :shrug:. People only believe me when I tell them where I'm from is when I slip and add "like" alot :o

Sheldonrs
06-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Maybe he's just a Britiot.

MoonCat
06-08-2011, 11:56 PM
I've been asked if I'm from Minnesota. Never set foot in that state, so I'm not sure why they would ask that.

I think British accents are way sexy, btw...:D

firecat88
06-09-2011, 01:09 AM
I've been told that I have an accent. That's all. Just an accent. :confused: I have no idea what this means, really. Is it a southern accent because I was born in NC? A Pacific Northwest accent because I lived in Washington state for 8 years? Or a Colorado accent? It's particularly prominent when I sing, though, apparently.

And I will admit this now- I've tricked at least three people into believing that I'm from England. :devil: Once was on a dare from my mom. The other two times was just me trying to confuse the hell outta one of my teachers in 8th grade and one of my classmates in 10th.

rose_metal_nz
06-09-2011, 02:52 AM
I've never left the country, but get told/asked all the time that/if I'm from: Australia, England, Canada, the USA, South Africa, Scandinavia ???? ... :shrugs: no idea why!
And that's when I'm *sober* lol ;) :devil:

hawkchick11
06-09-2011, 03:12 AM
When I went to school in northern MN, everyone would ask me about my 'southern' accent.

Because Iowa is so southern.

Kogarashi
06-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Hubby and I don't get it Stateside, but when he was in Venezuela for two years, apparently his accent didn't sound American. It sounded German. :shrug:

BeenThereDoneThat
06-09-2011, 04:54 AM
I grew up in New Jersey but I've lived in Florida now almost as long as I lived in NJ. A few years ago I talked to an online friend on the phone - who lives in Vermont - and later on she wrote to me "I love your southern accent!" :confused: Now, I'm sure any accent I might have now is much different from how someone from Vermont speaks, but I can't imagine that I have a southern accent...if anything it's a mix of Jersey and the melting pot that is most of Florida!

Opalin
06-09-2011, 05:03 AM
If I was off the military base I'd have assumed it was because everybody in that section of TX seemed to assume that you were either a "Yank" or Foreign. But on base only 45% of people were from the area so.... *shrug*

That is odd on the thoughts of southern accents from Florida. I've never associated them with any particular accent.

Andara Bledin
06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
A note on accents - Not only do we pick up accents from where we grew up, but we also pick up accents and odd regional dialect choices from how our parents speak.

I've been in sou Cali my entire life (currently live about 5 miles from where I was born), but I have a number of phrases that I picked up from my mom (born in sou Cali, raised all over as an air force brat), many of which she picked up from her mom (raised on a farm 'back east').

Then there are those of us who can ape an accent on first hearing. I've done that in person with a couple with a mild UK accent, and I did that with a guy calling with a heavy Texas accent who subsequently refused to believe I not only wasn't from Texas but has also never been there.

^-.-^

Cookie
06-10-2011, 07:54 PM
My husband, who was born and raised in the Southeast US, but has done his best to neutralize his Southern-ness, had somebody ask him if he is Romanian the other day. The guy swore up and down that my hubs sounded Romanian. I don't hear it. :shrug:

Seshat
06-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I (Australian, with an 'educated city Australian' accent) have apparently had Canadian, British, South African, Scottish, and even Welsh accents.

mharbourgirl
06-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I get asked ALL the time where I'm from. I've been told that I'm Canadian at least 5 times (born and raised in Orange County, CA). Apparently it's how I pronounce my "a"s and "o"s :shrug:. People only believe me when I tell them where I'm from is when I slip and add "like" alot :o

Well, yeah, that'd do it. I'll explain.

No, there is too much, lemme sum up.

I am Canadian, but I'm a dialect sponge. I have an uncanny ability to sound like I grew up in Nova Scotia, but I didn't. I grew up on the west coast - Vancouver, pretty much. I was a teenager in the 80's. And when I get excited, or stressed, my dialect reverts to the Valley girl phrasing of my adolescence.

Because it's just, like, sooooo obvious that I'm from, you know, the Wet Coast. But, you know, like, whatever. :D

Yeah. And an unfortunate tendency to call my male friends and co-workers 'Dude'.

THAT'S why some people have mistaken you for Canadian. You should be flattered, we're pretty cool. :cool:

42_42_42
06-11-2011, 01:20 AM
My mom's from western PA. When I was little, she was a full-time stay at home mom, so I was around her all the time. Plus, my dad, who's from the coast of NC, worked 3rd shift and slept during most of the day, so I didn't see him very often. So, even though I grew up around Raleigh, NC, when I started school, my accent was much more like my mom's native accent. A few years later when we moved 1 county south-east, the kids accused me of being a "yankee" because I didn't speak with the very prominent local accent. I got teased for years about my accent, mostly because I spoke with proper grammar and actually pronounced the ends of words. Then, I got married and moved to Atlanta and somehow my accent is now more "southern" sounding than my hubby's, and he's lived in GA all his life and his parents are from rural GA and AL!

BeenThereDoneThat
06-11-2011, 03:44 AM
That is odd on the thoughts of southern accents from Florida. I've never associated them with any particular accent.

Another weird thing about Florida: The farther south you go, the less Southern you get. Northern Florida, including the Panhandle, is pretty much the Deep South, but as you move farther down you get all the people who moved to FL from somewhere else.

One other interesting story about accents. My father was born and raised in The Bronx (NYC), and he sounds like it. My mother was raised just a few miles away from him in Yonkers, NY...and aside from a few NYC-area sounding words, she doesn't much have an accent at all. Her theory is that since her parents were Scottish immigrants, she probably sounded more like them as a youngster and never really took the NY accent to heart. :shrug:

Beckpatton
06-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I've been asked whereabouts in the US I am from, where in the UK I am from, and where in NZ I am from, I am Australian born and bred, a Melbourne girl, so I don't sound particularly Ocker, but I can put it on when I want to...

I tend to mimic people's accents when I speak to them, not intentionally and not to be insulting, I just do it. When I lived in the US, I quickly picked up the local slang, and I guess a bit of an accent, so when I then moved to London, people there, including visiting Americans thought I was American. Then after awhile I noticed I was sounding more and more like a Londoner, which my family really noticed when I called home... but it only took a couple weeks back in Oz to get back to normal.. although I notice my "phone voice" still sounds kinda posh and British!

Opalin
06-15-2011, 02:57 AM
I've been asked whereabouts in the US I am from, where in the UK I am from, and where in NZ I am from, I am Australian born and bred, a Melbourne girl, so I don't sound particularly Ocker, but I can put it on when I want to...

I tend to mimic people's accents when I speak to them, not intentionally and not to be insulting, I just do it. When I lived in the US, I quickly picked up the local slang, and I guess a bit of an accent, so when I then moved to London, people there, including visiting Americans thought I was American. Then after awhile I noticed I was sounding more and more like a Londoner, which my family really noticed when I called home... but it only took a couple weeks back in Oz to get back to normal.. although I notice my "phone voice" still sounds kinda posh and British!
I do this, but it goes wonky. If someone talks to me in a Russian accent, I sound French, French-Italian, Italian-German. The rest tend to be same as, with British being my default accent. Not sure what section of Britain though.

RootedPhoenix
06-15-2011, 04:29 AM
One lady at JCPenney thought I sounded Welsh. O__o

All I could think of was that I'd watched Beatles movies too many times.
Sooo...
"Help!" + "A Hard Day's Night" + Northern Utah accent + Southern California accent = Wales

Alrighty then...:lol: I'm American, but maybe I am a bit of an accent/dialect sponge. It was sort of fun to hear her say that, so I don't mind too much.

EricKei
06-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm from NOLA and have lived here, off and on, most of my life. When I was living in Hotlanta at one point, someone discovered where I was from and asked me, point blank, "Why don't you have an accent?" ... I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that one...o_O;>