PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Bearded Dragon

Gaki
01-04-2012, 12:35 AM
I almost never see people being rude outside of my own work but this one was almost surreal, it was really too bad he was unaware of everything other than his anger because I was mocking him the entire time I was in line behind him.

Scene: A big local pet store.

Cast:
SC: Irate because he can't get cash for a dead bearded dragon that his girlfriend paid for with HER credit card. The system simply doesn't allow it.
Cashier: Called a Manager by the time I got there.
M: the Manager Calm, collected, and actually a little amused which was surprising.

SC: Are you kidding me?
M: No sir, I am not kidding you.
SC: You mean to say that I drove 30 minutes with a dead bearded dragon in my car and you won't do anything about this?
M: I'm sorry sir, but our system does not give me the option to do what you're asking for. I need the card number to put the money back on the card, I cannot do cash.
SC: I was retail management for 5 years, don't you play these games with me! You don't want me to get loud in this store.

(About here my thoughts were Please get loud in this store, I wanna cut you down. but he never did...)

M: Sir without the card there's nothing I can do for you.
SC: You are messing with the wrong people here, I will call people! I know people, I will call the ASPCA on you! You are selling sick bearded dragons and you have to do something about it! I want to speak to your corporate!
M: We do not have a corporate, we are a family-owned business and you can call here and ask for [Name]. We do not willingly sell sick bearded dragons here.
SC: Like hell you don't, your worker sold me a sick dragon and I want to talk to someone about it, I want him taken care of, I want you to DO something! He said that it was sick!
M: ...Sir...okay...*sigh* We do not sell sick animals here. If the associate told you it was sick, why did you buy it? You're lying to me. You're lying and I can't say ANYTHING. We'll see how far you get with this...]

He was still ranting and raving when I walked out the door. I should have stayed and stared at him for a little longer but I just loved how it went from wanting cash for it just because it was dead to some giant "you sell sick animals" thing after he couldn't get his way. Like...no dude, no.

I really wish he would have heard me making fun of him, but the cashiers got a nice smile from my impressions.

Lachrymose
01-04-2012, 01:04 AM
He was probably just pinin' for the fjords.

BeenThereDoneThat
01-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Maybe the dragon was really just playing How Not To Be Seen....

MoonCat
01-04-2012, 02:27 AM
Poor little bearded dragon! :(

dalesys
01-04-2012, 02:57 AM
Dragon theme song: "We gotta get outta this place, if it's the last thing we ever do..."

Moosenogger
01-04-2012, 07:25 AM
I bet that doofus didn't know the first thing about taking care of a bearded dragon and ended up poisoning the poor animal. Or he didn't provide it with a heat lamp. Both are plausible, in my opinion.

SongsOfDragons
01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
He was probably just pinin' for the fjords.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one getting a serious Dead Parrot sketch vibe here. :D

Sheldonrs
01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I hope it ended with the cops "dragon" his ass to jail. :-)

fireheart
01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
I also received a Dead parrot vibe. For some reason I expected the cashier/owner to go "I never wanted to work in a pet shop. I wanted to be....a LUMBERJACK!"

Syriilord
01-05-2012, 09:23 AM
I also received a Dead parrot vibe. For some reason I expected the cashier/owner to go "I never wanted to work in a pet shop. I wanted to be....a LUMBERJACK!"

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia

:lol:

Mr Hero
01-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one getting a serious Dead Parrot sketch vibe here. :D

This dragon is no more. It has ceased to be.

fireheart
01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia

:lol:

With my best girly by my side....so we sing sing.....SING......

Oohhhhhhhh......

Jay 2K Winger
01-05-2012, 03:06 PM
This dragon is no more. It has ceased to be.

It's bereft of life, shuffled off this mortal coil, and joined the bleedin' Choir Invisible.

Ironclad Alibi
01-05-2012, 07:20 PM

"I'm an Umberjack and I'm OK." (http://www.dorktower.com/2005/01/28/)

wolfie
01-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Right off the bat, I can see a few reasons why this would NEED to be refused:

- Stolen card. Crook "A" buys pet using stolen card, one of the crooks poisons/otherwise kills pet, crook "B" returns "gift from GF that died" to store for cash. Innocent pet dies so that crooks can turn stolen credit card into cash.

- Sucky BF/GF wants cash instead of gift pet. Kills pet, returns it for cash. Innocent pet dies so that sucky BF/GF can get video game/shoes (yep, I know it's a stereotype) that they wanted.

- Abusive BF kills GF's newly purchased pet, returns it for cash. Innocent pet dies so that creep can gain personally by terrorizing GF and stealing from her.

Note the trend - innocent pet dying, sleaze getting what they want.

EricKei
01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
I hope it ended with the cops "dragon" his ass to jail. :-)
"Yo ass is draggin' ~ Yo ass -- is -- Dragon!"

Jay 2K Winger
01-10-2012, 04:28 PM
"Yo ass is draggin' ~ Yo ass -- is -- Dragon!"

Ender's Game reference FTFW!

EricKei
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I actually agree with the "bring out your dead" policy. Morbid though it may seem, how many stores can you get a refund at without bringing in the "dead" item? o_O Besides, a pet store would likely be equipped to properly dispose of the poor critter's remains (afaik, many jurisdictions have very picky laws about that sort of thing)?

======================
Ender's Game reference FTFW!
FINALLY! I think I've posted that damn line (or something similar) a dozen times on different boards over the past few years...You're the first one to catch it ^_^ Gratz!

J2KW: Cool! What do I win?
EK: Win...Uhmmmm...How about a blessing? "May your life be filled with Bacon for the rest of your days." :angel:

I really thought Ender was more popular than that ^_^;> Well, the first two books of the main story, anyway...He lost me part way through Xenocide.

Jay 2K Winger
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
FINALLY! I think I've posted that damn line (or something similar) a dozen times on different boards over the past few years...You're the first one to catch it ^_^ Gratz!

J2KW: Cool! What do I win?
EK: Win...Uhmmmm...How about a blessing? "May your life be filled with Bacon for the rest of your days." :angel:

I really thought Ender was more popular than that ^_^;> Well, the first two books of the main story, anyway...He lost me part way through Xenocide.

Ender's Game was one of my favorite books until I discovered Pratchett. As a bright kid who was picked on in school, I could relate to Ender's problems. Ditto on the high expectations from on high thing.

Speaker for the Dead, I'll agree, was good, and yeah, after that, it kinda lost me.

Whoo! Bacon! *nom*

dragon_wings
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Sneaky, EricKei, sneaky. (I finally got the reference after Jay mentioned it. :ashamed: And I read both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.)

EricKei
01-11-2012, 01:11 AM
And I read both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.)
Heehee ^_^

Just FYI -- Ender's Shadow is a side story that -- as you know -- runs parallel to the first book. IIRC, it is the most recent of the stories. The main line is Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, etc...

The series apparently goes on a lot further than I thought (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game_%28series%29) o_O

edit - I really enjoyed what i read from his Alvin Maker (aka Seventh Son) series, as well. Alternate history series (with magic/special powers) set in post-colonial US/territories, iirc

dragon_wings
01-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Oh I know Eric. My sister told me while I was reading Ender's Game and that's what lead me to read Ender's Shadow (which was awesome!). I just have so many series I'm reading it makes it hard to get further in this one.

dalesys
01-11-2012, 09:25 AM
... his Alvin Maker (aka Seventh Son) series...
aka Joseph Smith.

"The Homecoming Saga" Book of Mormon.:wave:

I remember the publication of the short story precursor version of Ender's Game...