PDA

View Full Version : Made my first custom pony (squee, pic)

Seraph
03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, technically, I have a Princess Luna I'm still working on, that I made before this, but this is my first Blind Bag Figurine custom. ^^

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/090/4/0/seraph_blind_bag_oc_custom_by_seraph_chan-d4uhr5s.png

Learned a lot while making it:

1. Rustoleum white primer spray paint as a base takes a LOT longer than the one hour they state. Two hours still left a very tacky surface, bleh.

2. Armypainter brushes don't last very long, apparently, and after a few months of use on other stuff, will leave behind tiny hairs as they are falling out.

3. Sand down the ends of any wirey things you put on a custom, or they will scratch the FUDGE out of your item, and you will have to repaint it.

Crossbow
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
So this is your OC? She's adorable! And the custom came out fantastic! Better be careful, or somepony might submit her to EQD for their Custom Compilation list... :whistle:

As for your observations, I agree about the Rustoleum primer. I tend to use Krylon and have had pretty good luck with it. Although, if I have the time, I'll use a coat or two of Reaper Master Series brush-on primer. It tends to go on thinner and obscure fewer details. (Not as big a deal for a blind-bag mod, but when working with a highly-detailed gaming mini, it's critical.)

As for brushes, I've never used ArmyPainter. Are they sable (red or Kolinski) or synthetic?
I switch between using synthetics for base colors and a very carefully cared for set of Windsor-Newton Series 7 Kolinski Sable brushes for blending and detail work. Expensive, but they're fantastic to work with and will last for years if you treat them properly.

(And show us the Princess Luna! We need more Luna pieces!)

Seraph
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
So this is your OC? She's adorable! And the custom came out fantastic! Better be careful, or somepony might submit her to EQD for their Custom Compilation list... :whistle:

As for your observations, I agree about the Rustoleum primer. I tend to use Krylon and have had pretty good luck with it. Although, if I have the time, I'll use a coat or two of Reaper Master Series brush-on primer. It tends to go on thinner and obscure fewer details. (Not as big a deal for a blind-bag mod, but when working with a highly-detailed gaming mini, it's critical.)

As for brushes, I've never used ArmyPainter. Are they sable (red or Kolinski) or synthetic?
I switch between using synthetics for base colors and a very carefully cared for set of Windsor-Newton Series 7 Kolinski Sable brushes for blending and detail work. Expensive, but they're fantastic to work with and will last for years if you treat them properly.

(And show us the Princess Luna! We need more Luna pieces!)

Yep, that's my little OC, was rather pleased that she's not as terrible looking as some OCs can get, hahaha.

/googles the Kolinski brushes /coughs

Well, maybe I can piece together a set of those slowly. XD
I'll have to look into that primer. I do miniatures for my Eldar army as well, and that sounds llike it'd be handy...

I think they're synthetic, and really, I'm miffed that I spent $7 on one of their insane detail brushes, and it only lasted 3 months. I always dried it after washing it out, was very careful with it, and even stored it with the protective tube thingy to save the brush tip. Like that helped. -.-

Crossbow
03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Yep, that's my little OC, was rather pleased that she's not as terrible looking as some OCs can get, hahaha.

/googles the Kolinski brushes /coughs

Well, maybe I can piece together a set of those slowly. XD
I'll have to look into that primer. I do miniatures for my Eldar army as well, and that sounds llike it'd be handy...

I think they're synthetic, and really, I'm miffed that I spent $7 on one of their insane detail brushes, and it only lasted 3 months. I always dried it after washing it out, was very careful with it, and even stored it with the protective tube thingy to save the brush tip. Like that helped. -.-

Yeah, Kolinski brushes are pricey, but worth every penny. They hold a point better than anything I've ever used, even with the harsh treatment they get by being used on minis. I managed to get mine at an art store nearby for a "reasonable" ($11 for a short-handle 000) price. And I don't blame you for being miffed at a $7 brush failing like that. I would be too. (EDIT: Just found this online store. Prices seem very reasonable for what you're getting: http://www.cheapjoes.com/cat/4782/)

I'd also recommend brush soap if you don't already use it. It really helps get the paint out from around the ferrule and conditions the hairs a bit. Plus, it's not that expensive. Hobby Lobby/Michaels should carry it.

Actually, keeping the brush in the plastic tube is not recommended (at least on a lot of sites I've been on). If there's any moisture left in the bristles, the tube can trap it and cause mildew. Either lay it flat somewhere it won't be disturbed, or hang it upside down.

Eldar, huh? Tau and Salamanders here. Have you seen any of the blind-bag Marine conversions that are floating around?

Seraph
03-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Oooh, I'll have to browse on that site, I'm willing to bet it'd be cheaper to get them online than from the Michael's over here.

Huh, I didn't know that about the plastic tube, one of the painters at a hobby shop near here was like DON'T LOSE THAT. Woopsie doodle!

I almost went Tau, they sounded like a lot of fun, but the Eldar were so interesting looking... And yeah, one of my friends was freaking out over the conversions and wants to do it to his army as well, haha.

Crossbow
03-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Not sure I'd do a full army, but a Sisters of Battle squad lead by "Saint Celestia" could be amusing as hell. ;)

Jay 2K Winger
03-30-2012, 05:08 PM
I'll admit, I have an OC of my own.

She's called Skyfire, a pegasus with a penchant for lightning, who happens to be something of a mad scientist. I blame reading too much Girl Genius.

A trademark quote of hers: "Science! It's like Magic but with more math."

Crossbow
03-30-2012, 05:19 PM

She's called Skyfire, a pegasus with a penchant for lightning, who happens to be something of a mad scientist. I blame reading too much Girl Genius.

Cool. I have one too, to be honest. He's an older (at least compared to the Mane 6) pegasus stallion, usually with a slightly grumpy expression, even if he is pretty friendly.

Seraph
03-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Heterodyne cutie mark? ;D

Cool. I have one too, to be honest. He's an older (at least compared to the Mane 6) pegasus stallion, usually with a slightly grumpy expression, even if he is pretty friendly.

I told my friend the other day "Even Felicia freaking DAY has an OC pony, I'm pretty sure at this point everyone has one, secretly or no."

Kanalah
03-30-2012, 06:00 PM
I just picked up a set of mane 6 pones >.>

Elspeth
03-30-2012, 06:03 PM
ok where are you people getting these? must have!!!

And I like your custom people!

Crossbow
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM

I told my friend the other day "Even Felicia freaking DAY has an OC pony, I'm pretty sure at this point everyone has one, secretly or no."

If I saw a pony in the show with a winged trilobite cutie mark, I think I'd faint from squeee.

And I didn't realize Felicia Day has an OC pony. That's too cool.

Crossbow
03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
ok where are you people getting these? must have!!!

The "Blind Bag" minis (and I do mean mini) can be found at Wal-Mart or Toys R Us. You'll want to look up the numbering schemes on the MLP wikia if you want to get specific ones.

Customs are done by a number of talented artists, and can be anything from repaints to full resculpts. There's even some artists out there that are doing completely custom sculpts, either for their own amusement or on commission.

Kanalah
03-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I went to Toys R Us.

Busted my butt this week spring cleaning the house, so I figured as a treatm I'd pick up the mane 6 in bling bags.

Someone got there before me and bought all the blind bag ponies. :gasp: So I ended up picking up this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11872842&moduleName=Character+Theme

Elspeth
03-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys!!!! I might have to swing by Walmart when I am out today.

Jay 2K Winger
03-30-2012, 06:32 PM

On a gear with a lightning bolt through it. ;D

Hell, her traditional entrance to any scene is... dramatic, and often accompanied by her shouting out "SCIENCE!"

Crossbow
03-30-2012, 06:40 PM
On a gear with a lightning bolt through it. ;D

Hell, her traditional entrance to any scene is... dramatic, and often accompanied by her shouting out "SCIENCE!"

Oh, sweet Celestia, now I have a bad vision of Othar Tryggvassen as a pegasus stallion. :lol:

Jay 2K Winger
03-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Oh, sweet Celestia, now I have a bad vision of Othar Tryggvassen as a pegasus stallion. :lol:

:roll:

Oh gods yes.

Seraph
03-30-2012, 06:46 PM
And I didn't realize Felicia Day has an OC pony. That's too cool.

I'll be honest. It was ugly as sin, hahahaha.

Thankies! ^^

...<ponders this>...

Ohmygodtheawesomeexplodedmybrain!

Andara Bledin
03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
...<ponders this>...

Ohmygodtheawesomeexplodedmybrain!
Do want soooooo much!

I... might actually have to try to do that... >_>

Except, wouldn't sparks generally be more Unicorn types?

^-.-^

Jay 2K Winger
03-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Do want soooooo much!

I... might actually have to try to do that... >_>

Except, wouldn't sparks generally be more Unicorn types?

^-.-^

That's WHY I have Skyfire as a pegasus. She kind of resents the fact that she doesn't have Magic (the horn), so she (over-)compensates by embracing ...wait for it... SCIENCE!

Kanalah
03-31-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't have a name for my pony yet, but she likes to make quilts.

I highly doubt anyone would be surprised by that.

Seraph
03-31-2012, 12:58 AM
I don't have a name for my pony yet, but she likes to make quilts.

I highly doubt anyone would be surprised by that.

What about Patchwerk? <innocent> I bet she'd want to play. :D

Or, go with Needle? Oh, that's taken. Patches? Well, drat. Thimblelina???

Kanalah
03-31-2012, 01:01 AM
There is a G3 or G4 pony named "Sew and Sew" (That I did buy ::hide::)

But she makes clothes for her friends, not quilts.

Andara Bledin
03-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Sew Handy?

^-.-^

HappyFun Ball
03-31-2012, 01:37 AM
Ugh, I still need the Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash Happy Meal toys. I just bought a blind bag mini today and got Mint. I think I'll follow suit and custom paint me a character when I get a pegasus mold.

Uh oh, ya'll have me brain storming now.. I am so going to repaint some to look like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIY41LrvMFQ

Andara Bledin
03-31-2012, 01:56 AM
Well, based on the Applejack that I picked up yesterday, there was a different set they were giving away toys from that didn't match up with the toys listed on the Happy Meal site.

Here's a pic (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/550106_3745125193118_1425904730_33675011_207959212 4_n.jpg) if you haven't seen it already.

^-.-^

Andrew B.
03-31-2012, 02:05 AM
I would have expected you to go for a unicorn, Seraph. However, I like your character.

Jay 2K Winger
03-31-2012, 04:11 AM
So, yeah, I found a pony generator (http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904).

This is Skyfire.

Seraph
03-31-2012, 04:38 AM
I would have expected you to go for a unicorn, Seraph. However, I like your character.

I don't see myself as magical, but I do like the idea of flying away from all my crazier clients. :D

Etna
03-31-2012, 05:46 AM
Eclipse (http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/811/eclipseh.png) pony is best pony.

Seraph
03-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Such a gorgeous OC ;_;

Crossbow
04-01-2012, 04:11 PM
That's fantastic! Beautiful.

Crossbow
04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
So, yeah, I found a pony generator (http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904).

This is Skyfire.

And how did I miss this my last time through this thread? I love her!

dragon_wings
04-01-2012, 07:37 PM
I have no name yet for my pony. But she's a dark purple and dark green pegasus with a flamey cutie mark. I still need to work on her backstory too.

Jay 2K Winger
04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
And how did I miss this my last time through this thread? I love her!

Thankee. The expression kinda says it all. She loves what she does, and sometimes doesn't understand why people get bent out of shape when things go boom around her-- but don't worry, she thinks she knows why it went boom.

Crossbow
04-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Profuse apologies for the thread necromancy (not quite a month, but still). Kind of important. ;)

Don't look now, Seraph, but you're famous. :D

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/04/custom-compilation-61.html

Seraph
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
I sawwww! I was like D: oh dear heavens! I feel so bad with it compared to all the other awesome ones, LOL

Crossbow
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Don't feel bad about it. It's awesome! It's my favorite OC design. Seriously.

Jay 2K Winger
04-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Dun feel bad, Seraph! You got featured. And that's cool.

For some reason now, I have Skyfire buzzing around in my head now, screaming for me to try making a custom pony. D: I've created a monster.

Ah yes! I can work with that! (cackle) Time to get the lightning going!

Dammit, put that brain-in-a-jar down!

(sigh) This is what I get for reading too much Girl Genius

(CRASH!) SCIENNNNNCE!

...and now she's absorbing aspects of Jeremy Clarkson too. God help us.

Crossbow
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Go for it! I'd do one of mine, but I haven't been able to get any of the stallion blind bags yet. I don't want to try converting a pegasus mare into a stallion yet. I'm no where near that good a sculptor.

Seraph
04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
...and now she's absorbing aspects of Jeremy Clarkson too. God help us.

Just start worrying when Chuck Testa's involved.

Jay 2K Winger
04-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Just start worrying when Chuck Testa's involved.

"...Skyfire?"
"Yes?"
"Are my eyes deceiving me, or did you construct a humungous mecha out of nothing but balsa wood, glue, and macaroni?"
"I am constrained by the limits of the resources available!"
"I was going to have that macaroni for dinner, you know."
"Science! waits for nopony's dinner!"
"...When did you get a pet monkey?"
"He's not a pet! He's a lab assistant! He's got fingers! And opposable thumbs!"
(sigh) "Let me guess, his name's Igor?"
"Nope, Chuck Testa. Good guess, though!"

Crossbow
04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
You're starting to scare me, Skyfire....

Jay 2K Winger
04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
You're starting to scare me, Skyfire....

She's a Spark. It sort of comes with the territory.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I originally read the thread title as "Made My First Cotton Pony." :ashamed:

Anyway, nice work.

Seraph
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
I had to google that, you know. FOR SHAME. What I have seen, cannot be unseen. :<

And thank you. Not for the trauma, but for the latter part.