PDA

View Full Version : No, you may NOT mispronounce my name

iradney
03-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Ok, my name is Carly*. It's pronounced Kar-Lee. It's not rocket science.
And yet, I still get geniuses that CANNOT PRONOUNCE IT even after I have said it. It's ok, maybe they didn't hear me, it does happen - alot!
But this customer takes the cake. He hears me say my name, pronounces it correctly the first time, and then summarily decides that he will change my name to Kar-LAY.

What the hell dude? This is MY NAME. I am the only one with that privilege! I would love to have done the same to him, and mispronounced his name, but unfortunately his name is un-mispronouncable.
I know this may seem petty, but it's my name dammit. It's not just a label, it's who I am :cry:

*Name has been changed blah blah fishpaste

batmoody
03-09-2007, 08:39 AM
What was his name? I bet we could find some way to slaughter it!

iradney
03-09-2007, 08:47 AM
His name was a typical Afrikaans name - Johan (pronounced Yo-haan)

shelly2jn
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I think I would have called him Joan or maybe Joanne! :devil:

Mongo Skruddgemire
03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Johan...that's a hard name to pronounce. Mind if I call you "Dick" to keep it easy?

But that's just my evil streak

M

ditchdj
03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
How do you pronounce Carly in that thick Afrikaaner accent??? That accent alone could probably qualify as its own dialect since I can barely understand someone from there that speaks English, unless they've been over here for awhile. Kinda like that British accent. I can understand Gordon Ramsay very well on TV here but it's a lot harder when I watch him on BBC America. :lol:

rvdammit
03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/bruces.htm

Bruces Sketch.

Mongo Skruddgemire
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/bruces.htm

Bruces Sketch.

G'Day Bruce!

BookstoreEscapee
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
OMG! I know EXACTLY how you feel. My name has a kind of odd spelling, but the pronunciation is very simple. Two syllables, both parts of extremely common names, just not usually together. So I guess that, along with the spelling, confuses people. Somehow people just never seem to hear what I'm saying, now matter how clearly I speak or how slowly I enunciate it. And if they do manage to repeat the correct pronunciation back to me, it's usually an accident and the next time around they say it differently. (And why customers are always so bent on pronouncing my name I'll never know; it's not like they'll remember it in 30 seconds.) And I live in New Jersey so most people can't chalk it up to an accent (no, people in NJ don't have "that" accent).

My name starts with "aah" like apple but most people say "ay" like ape. (And occasionally I get "i" or "e" which makes no sense to me; there is one vowel at the beginning and it's an A.) There are people I've known for years who still say it wrong. After 31+ years, I give up. :rolleyes:

</my own personal pet peeve rant>

RecoveringKinkoid
03-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I grew up with people mispronouncing both my first name and my last. Both are uncommon enough where I live, so I am usually willing to cut some slack, especially on the last name.

However, my married name is two simple syllables. And it's the name of a famous writer and also a famous poet, so I feel like people don't have much excuse. In fact, when I was in Rome, people would say "Oh, like the poet!" and pronounce it flawlessly.

Over here, they squint, get a confused look on their face, and say it wrong, even after they've heard ME say.

It really pisses me off.

I was sitting in a doc's office once, and the chick at the desk said it wrong THREE TIMES, each time me correcting her. Finally, I was sitting in the waiting room with one other guy and she called out her version of my name. I never reacted. I didn't pause in reading my newspaper. She called it out again. I didn't even flinch. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her hesitate, look nervously around the room. She knew it had to be me, the other patient was a man. She then finally said it right. Immediately, I put my paper down and went to her.

It was like training a dog, I swear. Frankly, I think I showed remarkable restraint for never getting angry in her face.She seemed to have learned to say it after that.

I understand getting it wrong once or even twice, but this chick was goading me. Refusing to get someones name right even after being corrected is just plain disrespectful.

Boozy
03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Mispronouncing someone's name when they know better is pretty cheeky.
I hate my first name. It happens to be the same name as a character on a very popular seventies sitcom, and the show had a catch phrase using this name. (Cookies for whoever guesses what it might be.) I hear that damn catch phrase EVERY single time I meet someone new. And they always give me this look, like "Aren't I clever?" like it was the first time I've heard it.
I love my last name because I identify so strongly with my family roots. But its still a pain in the ass to spell out for people. I'm thinking of taking my husband's name for that reason alone.

BookstoreEscapee
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
People get my last name wrong too, but that's more understandable. Actually if we were in Italy they'd be right cuz there's 2 vowels together and most people pronounce them both, but really they run together in one syllable. I don't mind when they throw in the extra syllable...it's when they throw in extra letters that I go "huh?" :headscratch:

I was at the doctor once and they called "Allison"...well, they got the first syllable right, anyway...:confused:

Hobgoblin
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
It happens to be the same name as a character on a very popular seventies sitcom, and the show had a catch phrase using this name. (Cookies for whoever guesses what it might be.) I hear that damn catch phrase EVERY single time I meet someone new. And they always give me this look, like "Aren't I clever?" like it was the first time I've heard it.

I feel your pain completely. My name happens to be that of a certain Star Wars character who finds out, mid-trilogy (hexilogy?), who his father is. Yeah. I get it all the time. I respond one of two ways: "Cause that's the first time I've heard THAT today," and "What's that from?" Since nearly everyone has seen Star Wars, that throws everyone for a loop. And I find it remarkably funny because 1) I can probably quote Episodes IV-VI from start to finish and 2) I'm a really good liar, so people always fall for it.

But for goodness sakes people, come up with something new. I can even deal with Cool Hand comments, just cause it's different. But if your name is John and you make a Star Wars joke, be prepared to be told I shat on your namesake this morning.

Horsetuna
03-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I have a name popular in young girl's stories, including: Anne of Green Gables and Little Orphan Annie, as well as songs like Annie-bo-bannie and Annie Get Your Gun.

I hate all of them (Well, I enjoyed Anne of GG and LoA, but I'm tird of the jokes. Even one of my TEACHERS did the annie-bo-bannie one and I wanted to kill him).

The most popular mispronounciation is saying Annie instead of Anne, but its an understandable one because of the 'e', but I just say 'its French nd its' just Anne." and most accept it.

I dont mind Annie either, I used to be called that, but several people at work call me Anna. That's not my name, and I am starting to not pay attention to it, since we have an Ana already.

Sofar
03-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm named after a character in The Hobbit. There are three ways to pronounce the name and I'm fine with all of them. My last name has two acceptable pronounciations and I'm fine with both. Sometimes people spell my name with a J, and that's fine too.

tamezin
03-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Mispronouncing your name is bad enough. Now lets talk but those people out there who respond to an e-mail you sent them containing a signature line with the correct spelling of your name, and they still manage to mis-spell it in the response. I have one of those names that can be spelled with an i ending or y ending. Every e-mail I send out has my signature line, yet I still receive tons of e-mail with the incorrect version of my name. One guy I work with even manages to throw other extra letters in there. :confused: It irritated me so much, I started sending him e-mails with extra vowels in his name. :devil:

draftermatt
03-09-2007, 03:16 PM
It happens to be the same name as a character on a very popular seventies sitcom, and the show had a catch phrase using this name. (Cookies for whoever guesses what it might be.)

"Dyn-O-Mite"? Sorry just a guess.

My last name gets butcherd quite often and too often, I've learned to live with it, but my wife hates it.

My initials are MM so I used to get M&M's jokes all the time.

TNT
03-09-2007, 04:02 PM
"Dyn-O-Mite"? Sorry just a guess.

Hmmm... I used to hear that one a lot. Never did figure out why.:lol:

My last name is so simple that it's impossible to screw it up. It just can't happen. It's short and simple. There's no phonetic trickiness at all, no ambiguity, no possible alternate pronunciations.

And yet people from Philadelphia manage to screw it up.

Becks
03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
My last name gets butcherd quite often and too often, I've learned to live with it

Same here. Maybe I'll just revert to my mother's maiden name.

CurlyLocks
03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I think I mentioned in another post that I have a lot of trouble w/people misspelling and mispronouncing my first name, and now my married name. It's really made me very sensitive to try and spell and pronounce other people's names correctly and it drives me crazy when other people don't even make the attempt to extend me that courtesy! There are even people that I'm related to who still spell my last name wrong after 20 years of marriage! :rant:

One time I was in a car accident and the other party was suing me, and sure enough, they spelled my first and last names wrong in their filings. So my attorney filed back to the effect of you've got the wrong person and made them refile everything. :muya:

blas
03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I won't even start with my last name, too many people are so braindead that they can't understand that it's pronounced exactly how it looks. No added letters, no adding "stein" on the end. It's NOT Frankenstein, Ok?? Anywhoo..

My name rhymes with Mary, and is a character of a movie who has the ability to move objects with her mind..............I've gotten that a time or two. "So, do you have that telekewhata, are you gonna kill me?"......You don't wanna know the answer to that.

Or the people who think they are so clever and go "Mary bary boo ferry banana fnana fo ...." yeah....lame.

MadRocketScientist
03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
My name is Shane. All of my life, everyone calls me Shawn, even after I have corrected them for the 30th time. If I say, "It's like the Western", either I get a funny look, or I get "Oh, COME BACK SHANE! COME BACK!".

I can't win.

Noelegy
03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh, argh. My first name sounds like "Know well."

I get called "Nicole" all the time by coworkers and clients. :confused: And then coworkers act surprised if I don't answer to it.

On one memorable occasion, a client repeated my name back as "Merlot." I wanted to reply, "And my middle name is Chardonnay!"

TwoScoopsSciath
03-09-2007, 05:33 PM
My real name starts with "B" and rhymes with "henna". I have to date been called

--Brahma (I even wrote it down and he STILL insisted I was named for a Hindu god)
--Breanna
--Brianna
--Bruno (I can't make this up)
--Brandy

Sometimes I wish I just been named Betty and had done with.

BusBus
03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
My first name is a common one. It has various spellings, but I use the common one. I am always getting faxes and emails at work with my name misspelled *sigh* Not hard, folks.

My last name gets mispronounced regularily. Doesn't bother me much, unless the person has already been corrected. Some of my colleagues call me by the mispronounced version of my last name, so it really does't bug me anymore.

BookstoreEscapee
03-09-2007, 06:14 PM

My cousin has 2 kids, and both of their initials are MM. Thankfully neither of them has N as a middle initial, but together they are M&M :)

Not quite the same, and she doesn't mind, but my mom gets called by 2 different names. She normally goes by her middle name, ever since she was a kid (she and her mom had the same name; ironically, her middle name is my first name so now we have the same problem). When she went back to work when I was 11, she everyone just called her by her first name, and she never bothered to correct them. So her family and friends call her A----- but her old work friends call her M---. One day I went over to have lunch with her and we were walking down the hall and hear, "Hi A-----" and my first thought was "Who the heck knows me here?" Turns out it was a guy she knew from high school so he knew her as A-----.

draftermatt
03-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I just thought of something else. My mother's maiden name is Gilligan. Honest.

She used to get all kinds of comments

Drakstern
03-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I have a really long, really French last name. Since I tend to say my name fairly quickly when I answer the phones, I get a lot of people dropping my first name and splitting my last name into a first *and* last name.

I always think that it takes something *really* special to not only mispronounce my name, but add several letters and drop my first name.

ArenaBoy
03-09-2007, 06:40 PM
People constantly butcher my last name but I really don't mind because A. It's a Polish name and B. It doesn't read like it's supposed to sound. I do hate it when people can't get it right when I've told them how to properly pronounce it. I had a history teacher who actually put in a "slut" in my last name. Needless to say I was pissed because she also butchered it 10 other times and this was after I had written it down. On a very hilarious note, when I put my last name in word the spell checker suggests "Lewinski" to replace my last name. Ouch. :(

There is one family name in my family that is impossible to pronounce when read and impossible to spell.

BookstoreEscapee
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
On a very hilarious note, when I put my last name in word the spell checker suggests "Lewinski" to replace my last name. Ouch. :(

Spellcheckers always want to change my name to "alien". :beam:
My brother's name becomes "brain." :brainbleach:

I think because people have such trouble with my name, I tend to have an easier time with other people's names. I guess I just automatically pay a bit more attention. As long as I hear it correctly I will generally get it right from then on.

XCashier
03-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I hate my first name. It happens to be the same name as a character on a very popular seventies sitcom, and the show had a catch phrase using this name. (Cookies for whoever guesses what it might be.) I hear that damn catch phrase EVERY single time I meet someone new. And they always give me this look, like "Aren't I clever?" like it was the first time I've heard it.
I had that problem with my maiden name. My maiden name is the same as a military rank, so I always had some idiot give me a salute and yell out my name, then laugh like they're oh so funny and oh so original. :rolleyes: Fine, drop and give me fifty, asshat!

Or the people who think they are so clever and go "Mary bary boo ferry banana fnana fo ...." yeah....lame.
Gah! That tacky old novelty song, "The Name Game". Next time, tell those idiots your name is Chuck and watch their reaction.
"Chuck chuck bo buck
Banana nana no nuck
Fee Fi Fo F-- ! :eek: Hey!"

:p ;)

zzapp the witch
03-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Jennifer.

My name is so damn common. How do you screw up Jennifer? Apparently you can. I gave up a long time ago, now I just ignore them until they get it right.

Bacter
03-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I just thought of... does anybody remember tiny toons? I still remember cracking up watching it (in days past) with an ex and her little bro. Part of the credits:

"Plucky duck: the only character conspicuously absent from the name game"

Bless you, cartoonists.

Sailornight6
03-09-2007, 07:26 PM
more trouble growing up with my last name.
well the kids did it on purpose...my life was an utter nighmare when urika's castle came on (no thats not my last name but it is very close to it.
even today in collage i still have correct teacher. even got in an argument with one proffessor who told me the way i was pronocing it and my whole family pronouces it was wrong.
lord the semester is only half way done :cry:

AFpheonix
03-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I hate my first name. It happens to be the same name as a character on a very popular seventies sitcom, and the show had a catch phrase using this name.

Whatchoo talkin' about Willis?

Oh wait, probably should be a girl's name....

My name is easy to pronounce, but it can be spelled a bajillion different ways. So, if I'm eating out, and they're taking my name for a reservation or whatever, and they offer up whatever spelling makes sense to them, I just reply "sure" :lol:
The only time that didn't work was when I was reserving a spot at the Melting Pot for Valentine's day, and the guy just HAD to get it right. Look bud, I don't care one way or another. It's all good.

On the other hand, I get a lot of customers at work who just look at me after I say their name and go, "Oh my god, you said it correctly! Did you hear me say it before?"
No...but hooked on phonics worked for me!

KuzcoLlama
03-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I "collect" the the different ways my first name has been misspelled. To be fair, the problem isn't in the name itself, it's how they hear it.for those who hear it for the first time, the first letter is a hard consonent, and the rest of the name...isn't. So they never hear it correctly. So far my name has been spelled an intriguing 10 different ways, none of them correct. I could care less though. I just say it the same way again when I pick up my food or my coffee and they hand over the correct item. Clearly my system works. :D

Tanasi
03-09-2007, 08:32 PM
even today in collage i still have correct teacher. even got in an argument with one proffessor who told me the way i was pronocing it and my whole family pronouces it was wrong.

When I was being held prisioneer in damnyankeeland my third grade teacher told me that my family was mispronouncing our last name. So not knowing any better I pronounced it her way until my Mom heard me. Talk about the fecal matter hitting the oscilating air-foil, Mom marched me into said teachers classroom the next day and proceeded to tell Miss damnyankee-smartie-britchees what was what, and when Miss dysb told Mom she was too ignorant to understand, Miss dysb learned the actual meaning of a Tennessee butt-kicking. I was transfered to another class later that morning.

NightAngel
03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Johan?

You can call him Joe (American bastardization, yes...) Hey there Gigalo Joe, whadda ya know? (movie reference)

Or drop the Jo and call him Han and make Star Wars jokes.
His name was Solo, he was a pilot, he had a blaster at his side and a smile 12 parsecs wide... (song reference)

OR you can drop the "han" and in correct pronunciation call him a Jo-Jo (Yo-Yo, great toy.)

KuzcoLlama
03-09-2007, 08:49 PM
OR you can drop the "han" and in correct pronunciation call him a Jo-Jo (Yo-Yo, great toy.)

Ah memories...

My cousins call me Jo-Jo. Because it's a bastardization of a childhood nickname. Ah well, as long as they don't call me "bitch."

Sailornight6
03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
lol. i wish i could do that, but alas haveing my mommy or daddy come and yell at a collage professor might make my life more miserable here :cry:

ArenaBoy
03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention this. I have a friend who goes by the name is Corina. She goes by many nicknames by her family, some entertaining. I've called her Corky, Corky Cork, Cork, and Cori. She prefers Cori but if she's in a good mood she often calls herself I roc, which is her name backwards. She once said that her name is "Corina an I roc". Amusingly, her last name is similiar to another last name in my area but it's spelled differently.

BookstoreEscapee
03-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Sometimes I wish I just been named Betty and had done with.

Hehe..one of my old managers nicknamed me Betty. My names starts with "Al" (which I hate); everybody sing: "You can call me Betty, And Betty when you call me you can call me Al" :lol: That was over 2 years ago and a couple people still call me that, or Betz which is what another manager shortened it to (and which I actually like better). Everyone in my old store used to call me Bob (random nickname one of the guys gave me 9 years ago and it stuck). I've been known to answer the phone as Bob. No one ever noticed the voice/name gender discrepancy...:headscratch:

I just thought of... does anybody remember tiny toons? I still remember cracking up watching it (in days past) with an ex and her little bro. Part of the credits:

"Plucky duck: the only character conspicuously absent from the name game"

Bless you, cartoonists.

Oh, I miss the Tiny Toons! And Animaniacs - my roomie and I used to watch every day after class (then she'd watch Power Rangers and I had to leave the room)

My cousins call me Jo-Jo.

My cousin still calls me Alien :( I'm 31 and he's 29. What is it they say about reverting to childhood roles when you are visiting family?

Draftermatt - I had a teacher in HS named Gilligan. I gotta say, the Island never even crossed my mind...

AFpheonix - when I go out and have to give my name I either give my middle name (Marie, easy enough) or the name of one of the people that I'm with. One of these days I'm just going to start giving random names for the hell of it.

My name is actually a German word (not actually a name in German lol) but pronounced differently. I always know if someone speaks German cuz they see my name and automatically say it like the German word. My college roomie got way overexcited when she'd see it in her German textbook :rolleyes:

Reyneth
03-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Mispronouncing names - ah, the pains I know so well. My last name is Slovak. And my family (father, mother, sister and I) say it differently than the rest of the family (although closer to the original Slovak) because that is what my dad's superior officers in the Army called him - and you don't argue with them. ;)

Our name is said close to the girl's name of "Michelle." Only about 1 in 100 say it right. We get versions that sound like mackerel and so on. When I was young young young, at a piano concert/competition I won several awards and they said my name differently *every* time. Once they said it "Michael" and I refused to go and get the award because "that's not my name!" LOL

We do have one set of regular customers at my work whose name is just one vowel off of mine - I surprised them when I said their name correctly. :)

Although family friends of ours probably had worse problems - we learned from them what to do when giving names for waiting lists at resturants and such. Use a fake one. As long as you use the same one so you remember it, what difference does it make? :D

Pinkie
03-09-2007, 10:54 PM
After verifying a customer's address, I ask for thier name, to verify it's the correct account. The customers with long, difficult names seem to get some sick pleasure out of listening to me butcher thier names. I'll ask them to pronounce it so I can try to wrap my tongue around it, and instead of going slowly, so that I can try to get it right, they'll run through it like it's a speed bump that they are ignoring. The cool ones, usually have names ending in "ski" and they say, "Hell, just call me 'Joe'" or what ever the first name is to spare me the pain of wrapping my brain around thier tongue twister name....<sigh>

CurlyLocks
03-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Gah! That tacky old novelty song, "The Name Game". Next time, tell those idiots your name is Chuck and watch their reaction.
"Chuck chuck bo buck
Banana nana no nuck
Fee Fi Fo F-- ! :eek: Hey!"

:p ;)

:roll: Hehehe, I can't stop giggling over that one. I always ask my older brother to do my name, Name Game style (yes, I'm 41 and he's 43 and it still makes me laugh). I'll be seeing him on Sunday and I think I'll ask him to do Chuck and hope hilarity will ensue.

Pagan
03-09-2007, 10:55 PM
The biggest problem I have is with my nickname. It can end with "i", "ie", or "y". I happen to use the "i" ending, which is the least used one, really. One person, no matter how many times I've sent him e-mails with my nickname spelled my way, he inisists on spelling it with the "ie" ending. Which I hate, hate, hate!

My name happens to be that of a certain Star Wars character who finds out, mid-trilogy (hexilogy?), who his father is....

But for goodness sakes people, come up with something new. I can even deal with Cool Hand comments, just cause it's different.

I have the same problem, but it's my last name! My mom got in the habit, and I picked it up, of spelling it immediately after saying it and people still get it wrong. Mostly, "Duke". So I've just decided to quit fighting it and say, "as is Skywalker". :rolleyes:

About the "Cool Hand" - that's what my mom uses for her e-mail, but spells it differently!

Or drop the Jo and call him Han and make Star Wars jokes.
His name was Solo, he was a pilot, he had a blaster at his side and a smile 12 parsecs wide... (song reference)

OMG! I haven't thought about that in years!

Becks
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
one proffessor who told me the way i was pronocing it and my whole family pronouces it was wrong.

Don't feel bad. Apparently my family pronounces our last name wrong, too. Heh.

Jules Of All Trades
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
My name is easy - Julie. Just Julie. But for some reason that even proves to be challenging for some of my co-workers. The latest name I've been called is July. Wow, a whole month just for me? I feel so special. :D

Growing up my initials were JKL. No biggie, right? Well, to those kids who just *had* to find something to tease someone about they chose my initials. Since they're in alphabetical order I was called "Alphabet Girl". OH NO! THE HORROR! Give me a break...:rolleyes:

BookstoreEscapee
03-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Growing up my initials were JKL. No biggie, right? Well, to those kids who just *had* to find something to tease someone about they chose my initials. Since they're in alphabetical order I was called "Alphabet Girl". OH NO! THE HORROR! Give me a break...:rolleyes:

I used to work with a woman whose initials are PMS. Yes, she signed all of her register paperwork with that :)

Shironu-Akaineko
03-11-2007, 02:03 AM
Me it's not the pronounciation--I accept (Phonetically) both Shay-run and Shah-rayne.

It's the spelling on papers.

I've been called on paper Charon, Sharron, Sharrone, Charron, Charene (???) and the latest one when I ordered my work shoes, Cherron! :cry:

What is so hard with spelling "Sharon" when you got the source info right under your nose? These are official papers sent with computerized info that has my REAL name in it! What the flock, can't people read?

April
03-11-2007, 02:16 AM
My first name is a month, so most everyone gets that right, except for those who go for creative spelling like Aprylle Or Apryl or the like.

My last name is sooooo easy, yet the cashiers at safeway can NOT say it. It's funny because it is ONLY safeway. Doctors offices, banks, people calling, they can all get it right. It rhymes with Olliver but at safeway they insist on going with some sort of french pronounciation

Ciarrai
03-11-2007, 02:42 AM
I go by the English version of my name, simply because North Americans can rarely pronounce my name properly. Look at my username. That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.

Broomjockey
03-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Tied in with the "Movies ruined my name" bit, I never really had issues with my first or last name (other than my first name seems to be slightly more common than dirt), until Hugo came along and decided he didn't like "Neo". Blarg.

It's not as bad now, but when the sequels were in theatres, it was torture.

thegiraffe
03-11-2007, 04:47 AM
My name starts with "aah" like apple but most people say "ay" like ape. (And occasionally I get "i" or "e" which makes no sense to me; there is one vowel at the beginning and it's an A.) There are people I've known for years who still say it wrong. After 31+ years, I give up. :rolleyes:

Want some ammo? The first syllable is a closed syllable based on what you've said. The 'a' (the vowel) is at the beginning, followed by a consonant or two. Because the consonant follows the vowel in the same syllable, the vowel is short (a like apple) instead of long (saying its name). Message me with your name, and I'll give you all kinds of ammo to make the idiots who mispronounce it LOOK like idiots :devil:

(I teach reading - I teach my 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders to split up multisyllabic words and figure out what type they are to pronounce the word. I haeve ALL kinds of ammo :D )

Rapscallion
03-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Look at my username. That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.

Chi-ar-ay?

Rapscallion

Imogene
03-11-2007, 03:58 PM
That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.
"Sha-ray"?
Just a guess...
Of course, I could also see it as being said Carrey? Maybe a harder syllable, Kary? Like the fire demon in Final Fantasy.

How often do you get called a terrible rapper? Just out of curiosity.

ditchdj
03-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Is it pronounced as "Chia" as in "Chia Pet"??? :angel:

KellyHabersham
03-11-2007, 04:09 PM
My last name is "Crook", but I frequently get people prouncing it as crock, croak, or cook, and a few times I've had problems picking up prescriptions at the pharmacy because the technician hears my last name as brook, book, rook....etc.

BookstoreEscapee
03-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I go by the English version of my name, simply because North Americans can rarely pronounce my name properly. Look at my username. That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.

I was gonna guess Carrie...

Ciarrai
03-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Cookies for BookstoreEscapee, who got the English pronounciation. My English name is Kerry, but the Gaelic version that is my actual name is Ciarrai, pronounced Kear-ee (like fear.) No one would be able to pronounce it, so my nametag says Kerry.
Which people still manage to mangle.

BookstoreEscapee
03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Cookies for BookstoreEscapee, who got the English pronounciation. My English name is Kerry, but the Gaelic version that is my actual name is Ciarrai, pronounced Kear-ee (like fear.) No one would be able to pronounce it, so my nametag says Kerry.
Which people still manage to mangle.

:yourock: No, wait, I rock! Woohoo! :party:

What kind of cookies are they? Chocolate chip? Oreos? Lemme get some milk! :p

PS I like your "real" name.

NightAngel
03-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I've been called on paper Charon, Sharron, Sharrone, Charron, Charene (???) and the latest one when I ordered my work shoes, Cherron!

Believe it or not I have met people with every single one of those spellings for their names. Comes with processing thousands of applications over the last few years. In the midwest Sharon is pronounced more like "Share-on".

My last name is pronounced "Pain".
Why it's so hard for people to properly pronounce is beyond me.

ArenaBoy
03-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a friend whose name is Jesslyn, simple name to pronounce as you combine Jess as in Jessica and Lynn. Very easy to pronounce but somehow everyone seems to butcher it. She's been called Joslyn (Knew someone by that name), Jessilyn, and Jessiliyn. Because of the numerous butcherings she just prefers to be called J as her friends often butcher her name. She just about fainted when I was pronouncing it right and called her by her full name. I also knew a guy from Germany named Arseni, name was easy to pronounce but so many idiots butcher it.

draftermatt
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
How often do you get called a terrible rapper? Just out of curiosity.

Honestly, I never have. I had never even thought about that until you mentioned it.

MadMike
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
My name is so damn common. How do you screw up Jennifer? Apparently you can.

My third grade teacher could not figure out how to spell "Michael", which is one of the most common male names. He kept reversing the A and the E. After awhile, he finally gave up and started calling me "Mike." I decided I liked it, so I kept it. I've been "Mike" for roughly 30 years now.

My last name, while not common, could not be simpler. But I still get people trying to add extra letters and sounds to it that simply aren't there. In fact, I recently found out this one girl I went to school with, who has known me for about 20 years now, had been saying it wrong all that time. Never even noticed it until she wrote me a check for some computer work I did. Somehow, she realized it shortly after that and apologized for spelling it wrong. I told her it was OK, they still let me cash it. ;)

BookstoreEscapee
03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
My third grade teacher could not figure out how to spell "Michael", which is one of the most common male names. He kept reversing the A and the E.

My own brother used to spell my name wrong. He insisted it was "ie" when it is "ei". He got it right after a while ;)

Shironu-Akaineko
03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Believe it or not I have met people with every single one of those spellings for their names. Comes with processing thousands of applications over the last few years. In the midwest Sharon is pronounced more like "Share-on".

My last name is pronounced "Pain".
Why it's so hard for people to properly pronounce is beyond me.

I believe it, I know there are thousands of variations. Mom's on a grandchildren trip and made me look at a baby book.

Problem with that last one (Cherron) I ended up with size 7 shoes for men. :o

Delphae
03-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Most people can say my name, Sarah, though I did get Sheri the other day. However no one can spell it. I get Sara, Sahra, Sarha. Whith the h is the more commen spelling people.

Bacter
03-17-2007, 03:51 AM
believe it or not, I've had people screw up "Benjamin"

Department stores *sigh*
03-17-2007, 04:42 AM
i have a sorta amusing story about that.

one day a customer is paying with a credit card and i notice her name is the same as my name with one letter change. I weont say the full name but this is the similar part.

hers: Blak************
mine: Black**********

i laughed and said that people pronounced my name like hers all the time, with a hard A.

amusing thing is everyone pronounced her name like mine. The color black.

something i found kinda quirky :p I guess people just cant figure out names.

angelkirie
03-17-2007, 09:07 AM
My name is NOT that hard, it doesn't sound like it looks no, but people who deal with everyday have NO excuse!!!

When I was in elementary school I was getting braces and my mom dropped me off late for class. We walked into the office and she says "I'm here to drop off my daughter (right pronunciation)" and the lady in the office goes, "Oh you mean "(wrong pronunciation?)"

....:doh: ...

And then in 7th grade I had a teacher who couldn't figure it out and by this time I was so used to the wrong pronunciation that I automatically corrected everyone ALL THE TIME. It starts with KAS and while it's really pronounced with a 'Kay-s' sound, he insisted on using the short a... Finally he just shortened it to Kass altogether as a nickname, but also I think to irk me. That's ok though, I have friends that call me that to this day and I kind of like it!

MadMike
03-17-2007, 09:01 PM
When I was in elementary school I was getting braces and my mom dropped me off late for class. We walked into the office and she says "I'm here to drop off my daughter (right pronunciation)" and the lady in the office goes, "Oh you mean "(wrong pronunciation?)"

My son did something like that once, but in his defense, he was only 3 at the time.

He used to have trouble saying "vanilla." It would always come out sounding something like "bayilla."

One day I took him out for ice cream, and I asked him, "Do you want vanilla or chocolate."

He gave me the strangest look and said, "You can't say 'bayilla' very good, can you?" :lol:

Imogene
03-18-2007, 02:42 AM
First off, your son is awesome, Mike.
Second, when I got into middle school, I shortened my real name down to the last three letters for my nickname. Interestingly, one of my teachers that year had been my third grade teacher as well, and she told me directly, "I don't think I'll ever be able to think of you as '***', only '********'."
A few semesters into my time at the technical college I attended, I swapped from *** to Juwl, just to throw classmates off. I got all sorts of misspellings on that, even though it had been my gaming tag most of the time we played Call of Duty. I got:
Jule
Jewl
Jewel
Juwel
Juul (my own joke, for the script I wrote for our game)
And so on.

BookstoreEscapee
03-18-2007, 02:49 AM
I get Sara, Sahra, Sarha. Whith the h is the more commen spelling people.

My friend is Sara and people add the "h" all the time. And another friend's sister is Sarah, and people drop her "h"...:rolleyes:

Jester
03-18-2007, 03:08 AM

My mother, before she was married, had the initials IJK. Never got much grief for that, though.

The first and middle names of my older sister, The Wicked Witch of the West who I have mentioned her several times, give her the initials "B.J." No one who wants to live unmaimed calls my older sister "B.J."

I have a friend whose name is Jesslyn, simple name to pronounce as you combine Jess as in Jessica and Lynn. Very easy to pronounce but somehow everyone seems to butcher it. She's been called Joslyn (Knew someone by that name), Jessilyn, and Jessiliyn. Because of the numerous butcherings she just prefers to be called J as her friends often butcher her name.

I have a friend named JennAnn. It is not shortened from anything like Jennifer Ann....her name is simply JennAnn. Naturally many coworkers/customers screw it up and call her Jenna. I call her J.A. (which she likes) or JennAnn (cause I get it...which she likes). But when you have something simple like two common names joined together into one rather unique name it is amazing how many peope will screw it up.

Hehe..one of my old managers nicknamed me Betty. My names starts with "Al" (which I hate); everybody sing: "You can call me Betty, And Betty when you call me you can call me Al"

believe it or not, I've had people screw up "Benjamin"

My name is Alan. And oh do I have trouble with it.

First of all, I DESPISE that f***ing Paul Simon song. No, folks, you are not creative when you sing that to me. Yes, I go by Al or Alan, but no, I don't like or ever even want to hear that song again. Ever.

Secondly, my name is Alan. It is not spelled Allen or Allan, or any of the other less common ways, but the simplest, easiest way to spell it. A-L-A-N. How tough is that? Apparently, very tough. I do have fun with it, though. Any time I meet another person with my name I ask, "Do you spell it correctly?" Amusingly, 90% of the time if they spell it the same way I do, they simply say yes. And 90% of the time if they spell it another way they ask, "Why...how do you spell it?" Apparently, those of us with my spelling KNOW that it is the right way. :D

One other thing I like to point out is that just about every famous person with my name spells it my way. Alan Freed, Alan Thicke, Alan Jackson, etc. Yet more proof that my way is indeed the correct way. :D

Thirdly, yes, I can belive that people have screwed up Benjamin. After all, while I understand why so many people mispell "Alan", I have actually had not one but TWO people ask me how to spell "Al"!

Finally, my name is proof people don't listen. Because, despite having a clear speaking voice and good articulation, after introducing myself as "Alan" I have been called Aaron, Adam, Alex, and even Eric. And honestly, I get those, I understand those, even Eric is vaguely similar in sound to Alan. What I DON'T get or understand is why so many people think my name is "Andy". Other than the first initial, exactly how is Andy in any way similar to Alan?!?

Screw it. I'm gonna get my name legally changed to "Jester."

Of course, if I did that, I would get to watch amusedly as people call me "Gesture," "Jessica," and "Joshua."

Rapscallion
03-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Screw it. I'm gonna get my name legally changed to "Jester."

I'm intending Reginald Arbuthnot Peregrine Scallion.

RAPScallion

Irving Patrick Freleigh
03-18-2007, 04:22 PM
My name is Alan. And oh do I have trouble with it.

First of all, I DESPISE that f***ing Paul Simon song. No, folks, you are not creative when you sing that to me. Yes, I go by Al or Alan, but no, I don't like or ever even want to hear that song again. Ever.

Speaking, of annoying songs...

My real name is Nick. I hates it when people sing the old Nickelodeon jingle or call me Nick-at-Nite.

Starting right now, if anybody decides to sing those God-awful songs to try and remember my name, the next words they say will be muffled by their own butt.

PS-This also goes for anybody who starts singing the "Name Game" song.

Petronella
03-18-2007, 08:42 PM
My first name is French, and all my life people want to call me by the English version of it. All you can do is just train yourself not to respond in any way to the wrong name... even if they're standing right in front of me, if they start their sentence with something that's not my name, I presume they are speaking to someone else and ignore it.

If they are in the midst of speaking and interject my name but it's the wrong name, I interrupt them EVERY time to say "My name is M...., not M...." Sometimes I have to do this to a person many many times before they stop.

Bliss
03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
hehe as you know I'm southamerican, Venezuelan to be precise, I have three first names and my two last names (my parents are.. odd...), Also the first name I use and the only one I respond to, is of nordic origin.... and my last name is Austrian... Imagine that in a southamerican country. Nobody ever could pronounce my last name correctly at first try (some never even after 10), and sometimes when I pick up the phone at the ISP and the customer demands my name. After I tell them they stop for 10 seconds, trying to decide wether I'm joking with them or not. hehehe

The only good thing about my last name appart from being able to confuse morons, is that it's the same name as a pretty expensive tasy drink, so I usually get a bottle once in a while for xmas from a friend with money as a nice touch... hehehe.

If you don't beleive how complex my full name is, just ask Jester. He knows it and can attest to it's uncommoness ;)

Btw, about initials, I have a good friend whose initials are BTK... hehehe, he's not as bad as the "original" but you wouldn't call him too sane either.

Jester
03-19-2007, 05:51 AM
If you don't beleive how complex my full name is, just ask Jester. He knows it and can attest to it's uncommoness ;)

I do? I can? :confused:

Damn. My damn mind is on vacation again, just like me.

Bliss, I am afraid you are going to have to privately message me said long and winding name to revive my unconscious memory.

Thanks. :D

Banrion
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
My last name, currently Harty, gets butchered all the time, still can't figure out why. Hopefully, my new name, Hurley, will be better, as there are several celebrities with that last name.

Jester
03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Did the wedding announcements actually read "Harty-Hurley"?

I ask, just because that amuses me if it did. Don't ask. I am weird like that. :lol:

Banrion
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM

I ask, just because that amuses me if it did. Don't ask. I am weird like that. :lol:

There haven't been any official announcements yet, but I joke around w/ him that I am going to hyphenate, and I insist that our first born male child be named Hendrick. :roll:

It's also really cool that I don't have to change my signature, I am just gonna stop crossing my T and the rest stays the same. YAY!

MadMike
03-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Think that's bad? My one friend recently got married, and I couldn't resist pointing out that their announcement would read "Peters-Hare." :lol:

42_42_42
03-21-2007, 06:57 PM
My first name is a word.

It's an uncommon word to use for a first name, so I won't post what it is, but it is a word that is only pronounced and spelled one way in English.

90% of the people I meet cannot spell or pronounce it correctly, even after I tell them it's just like the word. If I spell it for them, they still cannot pronounce it most of the time.

I hear the same joke all the time. My name can be used as a verb. So people will say "Oh, do you (name), (name)?" One of the ways I gauge people when I meet them is if they make a joke out of my name I treat them like the jerkwad they are. Why is it that making a joke out of someone's unusual name is the first reaction of so many people? Do they really think they are being original?

I get so tired of the first 5-10 minutes of interaction with a customer being a stupid repetitive conversation about my freakin' name that at most places where I've worked, I just give up and go by Missy. Which is a completely made-up nick-name that has nothing to do with my first, middle, or last name. I use it because wherever I have worked so far, no one has had that name, so I don't get confused with one of my co-workers.

On a side note:
My maiden name was hard for people to pronounce, too. Even though it was the same as one of the counties in the state where I grew up. My mom got tired of her students not being able to say her name, so she eventually just went by "Mrs. T". Which I think is kinda cool.

MadMike
03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
90% of the people I meet cannot spell or pronounce it correctly, even after I tell them it's just like the word. If I spell it for them, they still cannot pronounce it most of the time.

One of my friends that I've known since I was 5 has the last name "Hitt." It's pronounced just like it looks, just like the common verb with only one "T." He told me he had several teachers struggle trying to pronounce it, some of them trying to give it a long "I." Which is really scary when you stop and realize that these were the people who were supposed to be educating us.

I hear the same joke all the time. My name can be used as a verb. So people will say "Oh, do you (name), (name)?"

In that situation, I think I'd say something like, "Wow, that's even funnier than the first thousand times I heard it!" But then, I'm a smartass that way.

Sofar
03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
People have a tendency to mispronounce a name because they are trained to believe that unusual names have unusual pronounciations. Take me brother's name, Kerne. Very straightfoward, no? Unfortunately, when people read this name their resulting thought process goes a little something like this:

Let's see, damn, another hippie name, that can't be pronounced like kern, that's too obivious, uh, kernie?

It seems most people are yet unfamiliar with the concept of the silent E. Tell me, where in English is an E pronounced like that?

TealJellyfish
03-22-2007, 02:26 AM
My name is Lexi. Seems simple right? WRONG!
I get Lesley, Lisa, Lacy, Lana, Lauren, Peter (WTF) and on one occasion Sharon?...
I actually asked my boss if i stutter after i got called sharon

myswtghst
03-22-2007, 03:38 AM
And I'm a Leslie, who is commonly called Lindsey, Lexi, Lisa and various other L names.

As I've posted before, my last name is a 6-letter word. There is only one possible spelling, and I can't imagine how else you'd pronounce it. Yet people still screw it up.

Jester
03-22-2007, 04:54 AM
My last name is a color. A COLOR. And people screw it up, both spelling and pronouncing.

My stepfather's last name is Smith. People screw that up, too.

It doesn't matter how easy or common the name is, people will screw it up. Why? Because people are stupid. Phenomenally so. And they don't pay attention. Those who do get your name right, and so don't get talked about in here. But those aren't the stupid ones. Those are the (rare) intelligent ones. I often shock people by getting their names right, even hard to pronounce ones. Why? Because I pay attention. A trait that is far too rare these days.

Bluenomi
03-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I am forever getting my first name spelt wrong. There is only one way to spelt it and its the way it's pronuced and people still insist in adding an e to the end or sticking in a few extra vowels. Or both. Cause a 5 letter name with 3 vowels needs more.

My last name is a type of common transport with 2 of the last letter instead of one. Very common and very simple. And so often spelt wrong. People always seem to go for the rare, unusual spelling not my plain boring one.

FenigDurak
03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
The guy who comes in every day that used to lecture me on how my store is losing business over not allowing employees to swipe their badge (we do now, it was a technological hang up) asked me what my name was today. I told him, he looked at me funny, so I turned my hospital badge around. He said "Oh! It's Lee-uh!"

I winced on the inside but smiled and said "No, actually it's Lay-uh. It's Old Hebrew." He just nodded and said, "Oookaay.... So it's Lee-uh."

MadMike
03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
"No, actually it's Lay-uh. It's Old Hebrew."

...and suddenly, the avatar makes perfect sense. :lol:

FenigDurak
03-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Check out this nonsense!

Wee! (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/fenigdurak/album/576460762394596937/photo/294928804290177003/11)

BusyBee
03-23-2007, 02:40 PM
One year in high school one of the student teachers we had got to basically take over the class for a full term. Giving homework, assignments, marking us, calling the roll, etc, with the real teacher sitting up the back keeping an eye on things.

My name is very like Chloe (but not :D ). It's a "Oh-ee" sound at the end there, and a pretty rare name. About 90% of the people I meet say it wrong the first time if they see it written down, but once I correct them they get it right. About 90% of the people I meet SPELL it wrong the first time if I say it to them :lol: . They love adding I's and Y's and W's and all sorts of things. My first and last name both have this problem so I'm well used to it and pretty laid back about it all and very patient.

Anyway, so, this teacher. Every single time he called the roll and got to my name, he would say it "Chlo", without the "ee" on there. And every single time he did this I would say "Actually it's Chloe, I'm here." After about 4 weeks of this (3 english classes a week, so well over 12 times he got corrected, counting talking to me during class as well) I was getting fed up. Again he called the roll and said "Chlo." And my brain had a mini-snap :p . I said really sharply "It's Chlo-EE. Chlo-EE. There's an E!"
So what does he do? Every time he called roll for the rest of the term, when he got to my name, he would look up, find me, look right at me, and say nastily "Chlo-EEEEEEEE?"

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with teachers anymore :rolleyes:

iradney
03-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I had a science teacher in high school that would mispronounce my name constantly! He added two vowels that weren't there.
After a while, I just stopped responding to him. What,it's not my name! He got miffed at me, and when I pointed out that what he is calling me is NOT MY NAME, he threw me out of class. My parents had a little chat with the headmaster, and it was never a problem again after that.

BusyBee
03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Haha, I wish I'd thought of that iradney :) Although I was at a bad point in those days and probably wouldn't have had the gall to do it...

Woulda been fun though!
"ChloEE?"
"..."
"ChloEEEEEEE?"
"..."
"I know you're here, answer the roll!"
"Oh I'm sorry, I thought there was a new student you were calling! Would you like to try again? :D"

iradney
03-23-2007, 02:54 PM
BTW, BusyBee, much avatar love!
I only really did it coz I knew my parents would back me up on it. Otherwise I'd have been in deep doo-doo!

BusyBee
03-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Thankyou! :D I have no idea what your av is referencing, if anything, but it makes me smile every time I see it :)

In all fairness my mum probably would've gone on the defensive for me. Actually my *real* English teacher really liked me (I'd been getting all A's for english since grade 3, of course she liked me lol) so she may have let me get away with it too, and quietly had a word with the stinky student teacher.
If the principal had ever found out though, I'm sure he'd chuck a spaz. He was a poopyhead :p

Hobgoblin
03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
My sophmore year of high school I had a teacher say my last name wrong. It isn't like I have a difficult last name to say, either. It's like a certain animal, but with an "s" on each end. Not hard to say. Or read. So I corrected the teacher and she instantly decided not to worry about my last name, but to instead call me a character from Winnie the Pooh. I was Tigger for the next three years.

She's the only teacher I ever really liked there.

tollbaby
03-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Check out this nonsense!

Wee! (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/fenigdurak/album/576460762394596937/photo/294928804290177003/11)

DUDE!!!! How do you get your hair to DO that???? My hair is the right color, and nearly down to my seat cushions, but I can't get it to do that!

Misanthropical
03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
My name is Diana, not Diane. I have corrected my doctor's office many times on the proper way to say and write my name. They still call me Diane. GRRR!

I have resorted to ignoring anyone who is calling out Diane, since that is not my name, they can't be talking to me.

I can forgive misprouncing my last name, since it's a long Italian name, but my first name is only 5 letters long and NOT THAT HARD!

There is famous dead princess with the same name and when I tell people tell this, so they can figure out the proper way to say and spell my name I still get "Is that Diana with one n or two?" :rant: