This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing to see the suck!

It has come to our attention that there's a culture drift towards people calling each other out in threads, saying that what happened wasn't really sucky.

That ceases.

What may be sucky to some is not necessarily sucky to others - we weren't there, etc etc etc. This site is about sucky customers of whatever level, and it's good stress relief for those who participate. I want people to feel able to do just that, and I don't want them to feel as if they have to run a gauntlet every time they post. If you think something isn't really sucky, hit the report button and if we agree we'll shift it to 'Brain Burps' or similar as appropriate.

People who ignore or forget this will have their posts removed and be reminded about this via PM. Repeat offenders will come to our attention.

We have no problem with people querying aspects of a tale, especially since it helped unmask our latest Walter Mitty, but outright claiming that there was no suck involved is off the menu.

Rapscallion

Thank you.

It needed to be said.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

We have no problem with people querying aspects of a tale, especially since it helped unmask our latest Walter Mitty,
      Rapscallion
      a kinda stupid question... who's Walter Mitty?
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

A character in a short story by James Thurber. During a shopping expedition with his good lady wife (read nag), he fantasised about being a battleship commander, a heart surgeon...

Rapscallion

Comment

And who was our Walter Mitty? Sorry to be nosy, but that completely went over my head. X_x
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34158

Rapscallion

Comment

All of that aside, though, (because that is not really the point of this thread), there has been too much calling out on stories, making claims that the customers really weren't that sucky or the member who posted was in the wrong for posting. I have had that happen to my last 2 posts, and I am tired of it. I rarely post my own experiences anymore because of that, and I will seriously rethink posting any more in the future if this does not stop.

I have been hearing from other members who are actually considering leaving the forum because they are sick and tired of having to justify their stories.

We've even had to create a whole new forum after all these years without it, where people are meant to post stories that "aren't really that sucky, but more of a 'brain burp'." That's because so many people started calling out other members that the customer wasn't really sucky.

When I first came here all those years ago, it didn't matter. A 'customer' story was a story, regardless of the degree of suck or content.
              Nobody had to beat people over the head with the concept that not all customers are sucky, and sometimes, it's the employee who is sucky. That was simply understood.
              Nobody got bent out of shape because the heading said "Sucky Customers" but the customer story was more amusing or just a 'not thinking moment' than it was a sucky incident.

It would be really great to get back to that again, so people don't have to start their posts with apologies that their story is not as epic as some, or so they don't tend to embellish and spice up the story to measure up to the 'Vinegar Boy' standard.

Comment

Thanks, Raps.

My stories are never epic; hmm, it never occurred to me to try and make them more interesting; I just post to vent. Maybe instead I should start posting stories about being attacked by the Flying Spaghetti Monster while at work, or that just after the SC verbally abused me, a comedy anvil came out of nowhere and bashed him in the head. XD
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  It would be really great to get back to that again, so people don't have to start their posts with apologies that their story is not as epic as some, or so they don't tend to embellish and spice up the story to measure up to the 'Vinegar Boy' standard.
                  Was Vinegar boy ever true? I remember reading that back when Slugger was in charge. (... Have I been a member that long? It seems long, but doesnt o_O).

I vaguly remember too that not as many bickering. I never really thought of justifing stories. Mostly because you experence any customer service, your going to get moments that are so off the wall you can't possibly belive its happening. But it is. I have one or two that I won't post. I guess because it would seem too off the wall, and even I still refused it happen.

But it did.

Doesn't use real corn indeed.
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                    Was Vinegar boy ever true?
                    To be honest? Who really knows? I've seen some obvious BS stories on here, but I've also witnessed some things personally that I never would have believed if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes.

IIRC, Aaron, the guy who posted it, was a regular member who usually just posted routine sucky customer stories. Even this one started out as a post about some stupid mother whose kid had drank vinegar, and I don't think anyone expected it to turn into the epic that it did. I remember watching the whole thing unfold, and waiting patiently for the next development.

Two things make me inclined to believe it: One, Aaron didn't go around constantly posting crazy stories like that one; Two, it all fits together too well to be a bunch of crap.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      Two things make me inclined to believe it: One, Aaron didn't go around constantly posting crazy stories like that one; Two, it all fits together too well to be a bunch of crap.
                      Not to mention timeline.

Even though the story is now condensed, when it was originally posted, it unfolded over a decent length of time.

To me, with the obvious BS stories that are posted, that's the downfall. The story ends up being too neat and gets wrapped up in record time.

They always start out with a small incident, and the perpetrator always just happens to have outstanding charges for something much more serious that ends up causing them to be dragged away in handcuffs. The evil-doer always comes back for retribution, making the situation even worse.

There's never any delay at court. It never gets remanded. It's always dealt with in near record time, considering today's current court system.

(I've had simple assault cases for my foster kids drag out over a year, with us going to court and sitting, only to have it remanded as they didn't have time to deal with it that day, but I've read stories on here where the alleged perpetrator had serious charges for extremely violent crimes, and it was wrapped up in less than a couple of months. By simple assault, I mean petty fighting in a group home with physical contact for which charges were required to be laid in order to send a message. Some of these dudes in the stories have been borderline psychotic murderers, yet the case only takes a few days to wrap up. )

Again, though, the point of this thread is NOT about the BS stories.
                      It's about telling other members that their customer is not really all that sucky, and making them seem like they had no right to complain or post their story.

Comment

OT, but...even if I didn't read this to get to that, I'd be calling BS. Seriously. It just sounds so fake.
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          a kinda stupid question... who's Walter Mitty?
                          The main character of one of the few short stories worth reading in English class.

Comment

Who's being mean and calling people out? I'll give them a spanking.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                              Who's being mean and calling people out? I'll give them a spanking.
                              Oooh! Me! Me!

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X